WASP LHD-1, The Build

Phil Builds The Gallery Models 1:350th Amphibious Assault Ship:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Rob

Re: WASP LHD-1, The Build

Post by Rob » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Rope coils look good Phil.

Can you post a picture of the area of the ship you are painting? It would be useful.
Rob.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 am

Thanks Rob. Actually, I began using wire for rope coils after looking at your build diary of Victory. As for the hull painting, It's pretty much a general overall issue. The catwalks and walkways all around the ship have support struts holding them up. I'm just worried about paint either not getting into those areas or too much collecting in all the nooks and crannies. let me get a photo up tomorrow to show you what I'm talking about....

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:55 am

Just wanted to post and update that...there's not much to update. Due to an accident at work I am left with a partially torn tendon in my right shoulder, making my painting hand a bit unsteady. So work on LHD-1 moves forward at a snails pace with just little bits of work on the aircraft and the superstructure. I have a few weeks of physical therapy followed by a surgical consult to see if they are going to have to cut me open and put this old humpty dumpty back together again.

But, there will be more of my "as average as average can get" modelling to come....just a little bit on the late side.

I hope everyone is doing well and is having the same beautiful weather we are having here in Tennessee...

Cheers,

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Phil,
Sorry to hear the news about your shoulder, that's a real bummer!
Yes, we have been having beautiful weather here in the south of England and Dafi tells me they have had the same in his part of Germany.
Mind you I think it's all due to come to an end tomorrow!
Keep your chin up.
AND mate, your modelling skills are far, far better than "average"!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Ouch Phil, sorry to hear of your mishap.

Hope you are back up to speed soon, and what’s with this average modelling?

Rob.

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Get well soon, your little beauty is waiting impatiently :-)

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Oh dear - not another one on the sidelines and out of action.

(I too am still in that category myself. )

Keep popping in here it can act as a good form of therapy to help get you back in action.

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Phil,
Hope you are on the mend.
While you are laid up you should enjoy the latest Tamiya magazine as it has a build review of Revell’s Wasp.
Rob.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon May 23, 2011 3:14 am

Just a quick post of some work I've been able to do, in spite of the shoulder problem (I see Orthopedics at the VA next week...looks like surgery in a month or so). I was able to get the hull painted and I'm just at the point of adding the black waterline stripe. To save myself a lot of masking I have made the stripe into a decal. I'll get that on in a day or so as soon as work eases up. Boss is in Puerto Rico seeing family so that leaves me on an 8-day stretch running the store.

I did try a some preshading. I don't think you can see it in these photos, but I do like the technique. I just have to get a little better with it and I need to pick up a fine tip for my airbrush. I also tackled some of the etch on the superstructure which has taken the detail to a new level. Please forgive the photo quality...my new cell phone has an 8.1 mp camera that can automatically upload to Photobucket and I'm still getting used to it...

Here's the hull after preshading and painting. I wasn't pleased with Tamiya's hull red, so I mixed up my own. The decal of the waterline stripe is printed and clear-coated, I just have to cut it out and get it on the model. It is going to take forever to pinwash the hull. There is just so much detail. And that's not counting the flight deck which is a job all it's own. which brings me to my "question of the day". I intend to simulate a little of the wear and tear on the flight deck. Exhaust marks from Harriers and helicopters, oil stains, and the general fading of painted surfaces. What's the best way to simulate this. I was thinking heavy preshading in key areas would help simulate exhaust burns, and a light airbrush over the decals would make them look worn, but are there any other ideas out there?

Photoetch (rough) on the superstructure. It really makes a difference.

Another shot of the Superstructure. Some of the etch is just roughly in place. I still have to glue some of it down. You can just make out a little preshading. I think I was a little "too" subtle. But, once I get the wash on and flatten it all out it should come together quite well

And never EVER sneak up on a sleeping cat with a camera...

More to come...as long as the painkillers do their job.

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 am

She's looking very good to my eyes Phil!
Have you considered using weathering powders for the flight deck?
Applied with a brush, finger or sponge and sealed in with a coat of clear it is very, very effective.
The clear coat has a habit of dulling down the effect so always lay down a little heavier than required.
There are several makes now on the market and any good model shop should carry at least some....
You seem to really be getting the hang of that etch now and wow doesn't it make a difference!
I hope you get some relief from your shoulder injury real soon.
Keep taking the tablets!
Cheers,
Pete.

P.S. Re photo of your cat: "Phasers set to stun"...x31x

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Mon May 23, 2011 10:58 am

Phil,

Good to see the shoulder isn't laying you too low.

She's, well WASP anyway, not sure about puss, starting to come together quite nicely, that etch certainly makes a difference.

Looking forward to seeing the weathering effects on the flight deck.

cheers,

Bill
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat May 28, 2011 8:21 am

Hi Phil,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I wanted to give you a detailed reply but family commitments have kept me away from the computer except for short replies.

I would paint and decal the deck as normal with out pre-shading. Gloss finish it and use decal setting solutions to ensure that the decals have “snuggled down” on to the surface.
To seal in the decals give it another coat of gloss, you want to ensure the decals have as little a raised edge as possible otherwise the weathering stage can highlight them and you want to ensure they have sunk fully into any detail. Keep the gloss coats thin to avoid flooding the detail. If the makings are simple it may be worth considering painting some of them on!

With the surfaced sealed I would use pin oil washes to emphasise small details like tie down points. Keep a supply of cotton wool buds handy to tidy up any obvious tide marks along with a clean turpentine dampened brush (if using oil paint), and keep the washes thin. I have mentioned 502 Abteilung odourless turpentine before and their range of oil paints. A hair drier can be used to speed the drying process but please be careful not to turn your wasp into a humpback whale!

Once dry Tamiya smoke heavily thinned and sprayed under low pressure with a fine tip can be used to build up exhaust stains and “post shading” around details. It can be built up gradually till the desired effect is achieved. Pete has mentioned weathering powders and they are a good idea when applied to a matt surface. However they can be expensive and the amount supplied is good for use on armour models (and agricultural ones x4x ) but rather excessive for 350th scale. An alternative is good old artist chalk pastels (not the oil based ones, we are after dust). Rub them on some sand or emery paper and apply onto the model with a suitable size brush for the effect required (use a tired one as it is tough on bristles). Blow away any excess and if the effect is to pronounced masking tape can remove most of it or a dry cotton wool bud. Seal it in with another coat of flat.

Misting over markings to tone them down is a good idea. Use the base colour and thin the paint heavily. Use very light coats to build up the effect, like my dad always told me “You can add easily, taking away is far more difficult”.

All this will take many hours so be prepared. Obviously the flight deck is a major focal point of the ship which will initially draw in the viewer, then you can wow them further with you etch work. XCLAPX

I hope this makes sense, if not ask away but you may have to wait for an answer.

Rob.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Well, I just recently joined the ranks of the unemployed so that gives me a little more time for Wasp. Not much more to show. The lower decks are installed and I've been working on the some of the details. I've also started on the stern.

For some reason the camera/flash makes the wash look much more harsh than it really is, though it does need a little touchup.

Nothing is glued down yet. Pinwash really makes detail stand out. I still have some details to work on, such as the photoetch hose-reels, and toning down some of the wash.

On the left is the kit-supplied hose reel. On the right is the photoetch in place of the plastic sides. Much better. I just need to add some wire to represent the hose, then get it painted up.

More to come.

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:20 am

Whups...that should have been etch on the left kit supplied on right...

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:04 am

Sorry to hear about the work situation, Phil.
Your Wasp is looking very good and I always enjoy reading your updates.
The etch certainly does make a difference doesn't it!
Keep up the great work...
Pete.

Return to “Phil's USS Wasp LHD-1”