WASP LHD-1, The Build

Phil Builds The Gallery Models 1:350th Amphibious Assault Ship:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Re: WASP LHD-1, The Build

Post by chrism » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:39 am

Like Pete said - that etch does make a difference. Your efforts with this kit are tempting me to try a little etch - and I am trying to work myself upto carrier - and a 1:350 kit of Illustrious.

I too can only add my condolences on the work position - I too faced that a while back and am now resigned to life on the scrap heap or as I regard it - early retirement.

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Nice progress Phil, so many mini models within the main event, it is a very interesting subject.

Cheers,

Maurice

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi Phil,
builds looking good.
Job situation is a blow I hope something turns up for you soon.
Rob.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Although this is the SPS Juan Carlos I rather than USS WASP, it does give you an idea of what the vehicle and well deck areas of a large amphib look like (and a bunch of ideas for making these areas look busy).

Pages 4 & 5 along with the last couple concentrate mainly on these areas.

http://www.fotosdebarcos.org/viewtopic. ... c&start=30
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:49 am

Thanks for the info and pics guys. They're very helpful.

I have made quite a bit of progress, especially since I still have a lot of free time. The job situation in the U.S. is only getting worse, though there is a bit of hope in a Government position that's opening up soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But, that's the least of the issues right now. I went to the Veteran's Medical Center today and after 6 hours was told that not only do I have a torn tendon in my shoulder, but my bicep is torn and arthritis has set in and surgeons are going to have to perform a mumford procedure in order to relieve wear on the bone. Surgery is August 19th and I'll be losing total use of my arm for 2 days, in a sling for up to two weeks, and another 2 months of physical therapy.

Gentlemen, let me apologize if I sound rude, but...this really sucks. I feel like a man made of legos, with parts falling off left and right...

That aside, It's around 10pm here in the great state of Tennessee and I'm going to try and sleep. I don't take narcotic painkillers so trying to sleep is an adventure. I'll try and get some pics posted tomorrow. I've got the flightdeck finished (decals went down beautifully with only one tear), with the exception of weathering. I'm going to do a little light weathering, and some suggestions will be very welcome. Hull is coming along as are the aircraft. I'm saving the Island for last since it will require a lot of attention.

More to come soon.

Phil

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 am

Phil,

Sorry to hear things haven't improved health wise, can only hope this time around the result is better. I always find a good malt whiskey helps a body relax, in medicinal doses of course although I had an aunt who swore by brandy coffee as a nightcap.

Good the see you haven't let it get you down though and are still moving on with your build. Looking forward to the next installment of photos.
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles Phil. I hope that things get sorted out for you real quick.
For myself, I have been suffering some really nasty pains in my hands and fingers but I'm trying to ignore it for now...
Looking forward to some update pics of your marvelous build.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Sorry to hear that life is giving you a beating Phil and I hope things start to look up for you soon.

I’m itching to see some pictures of your build.
Rob.

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Hy Phil,

I wish you all the possible luck to solve and come out of these troubles!

And by the way, great build :-)

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, on the plus side of this stretch of unemployment is time. On the downside, my shoulder only allows me a couple hours a day....but, I take what I can get. Here's the photos of what's done so far. Much of it is in the rough, so I've got some touchup to take care of here and there...

Flight deck is done and ready for final weathering. I'm still deciding how much weathering I want to do.

Another shot of the flight deck. The decals went down real easy. Trumpeter's decals are always nice.

V22 Osprey, still glossed for the rest of the decals. These little buggars are hard to work with.

The same goes for the helos. I'm going to be doing some weathering on the aircraft later.

The elevators were a bear to work with. the yellow/orange warning stripe had to conform to
the ridge that was on three sides. It took a lot of work and decal set to get them to conform. Not perfect
but it looks good enough.

A lot of work goes into the stern. I still have a lot of touchup to do, especially on the lockers, and there's still some
etch to add. I had to wait to add the etch because of how close everything is together. It's coming along though.

There is a ton of detail on the hull and the pinwash is a must. There's still a lot to do.

That's it for now. I'm working on the Air Wing for the time being since I don't have to move the shoulder around
very much. After surgery I'll move on to getting the deck in place. I'll be saving the island for last. Lots of work to do there.

Thanks for the motivation guys.

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:26 am

I just wanted to say something about photoetch. While this wonderful product adds an immense amount of detail to a model, it is absolutely, mind-numbingly frustrating to work with. So, as a recent newcomer to the wonderful world of the flat brass sprue, let me give some tips to those who would take the plunge into OCD modelling;

1-Get rid of your shag carpet.

It is absolutely amazing how "alive" my carpet is. I literally watched a piece of etch pop out of my forceps and fall to the floor. I back my chair up, grab my flashlight and shine it straight down to where I know for a fact the piece dropped. But to my surprise, my carpet has consumed the etch. It's just....well...gone. So I highly recommend, just in case, that you place something underneath your work area. I'm getting one of those clear plastic pieces that you put underneath your office chair. But I'm also painting the underside of it black. This way it will be easier to see dropped etch.

2-Etch should be classified as a deadly weapon.

I learned early on that etch is sharp. Remember I dropped a piece? I found it like a week later...with my foot. I looked down and saw my sock was red...with my blood. I do highly recommend you wear at least house slippers while working with etch.

3-Etch has only one goal. It only wants to be free and will run the first chance it gets.

So I'm sitting at my workbench and I've just cut a section of railing. It is literally just 2 stanchions with railing between. I set it down on the work area to grab another set of forceps when for no reason I breath out a sigh. The etch, it appears, did not like my breath and ran away right before my eyes never to be seen again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...In order to guarantee I don't lose any more material to my bad breath (and the wind that goes with it), I have created a pad that is covered in double-sided tape. It holds etch just strong enough. I've also painted the pad the tape is on in a dark color so I can always see the etch.

Just a few tips in order to help anyone who may go insane enough to work with photoetch...good luck...you're going to need it.

Phil

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:29 pm

You must be really pleased with what you have achieved so far Phil. This build is going to be a credit to you.

I'm really impressed,

Rob.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:10 am

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update that...well...there is no update. I had my shoulder surgery on Aug 19th. Docs said they gave me the "blue plate special"...that is...they found my bicep was almost completely torn away from my shoulder, a tear in one of the tendons, and arthritis set into my collarbone requiring the surgeons to perform something called a Mumford Procedure. They ended up removing about an inch of bone off of my collarbone. It's healing okay so far, but I can't lift my arm up more than a few inches. I can bend at the elbow, but that's about it. Physical therapy starts next week so I should be back to the ship in no time.

I do have a favor to ask. My daughter is a huge Johnny Depp fan and loves the movie series Pirates of the Carribbean. Recently, the model company Zvezda released a 1/72nd kit of the ship "The Black Pearl" from the movie. Photos of the completed model are virtually 100% faithful to the movie. It looks fantastic. I have to get it for my daughter as a gift for her 24th birthday. The problem is, the kit is not available in the United States. I think the manufacturer is trying to get Disney to sign off on the kit before they bring it over here. Does anyone's local hobby shop have this kit? I would be very grateful for any assistance in finding this model. I just need the email or web address for the shop that has it so I can make arrangements to purchase it.

If anyone can help me out, thanks ever so much. This would be an incredible gift for my little girl....

More to come, as soon as I can lift my arm a little higher...and without mind-wrenching pain...
I hope everyone is doing well...

Phil

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Phil,
Good to hear from you and that things are on the mend, all be it slowly.
I would try here http://www.halifaxmodellersworld.co.uk/ for your Black Pearl. Ask for Darren and tell him Rob sent you.
Good luck,
Rob.

Return to “Phil's USS Wasp LHD-1”