WASP LHD-1, The Build

Phil Builds The Gallery Models 1:350th Amphibious Assault Ship:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Re: WASP LHD-1, The Build

Post by dafi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 am

The secret of the CA sticking first to the fingers is quite simple.

As far as I know the CA is a two components glue: one is the CA and the other the humidity of the air. As the fingers are normally slightly wet because of sweat, it is there to react and harden faster than on the dry plastic/metal ...

Perhaps one should try a simple water spray to accelerate the hardening on the ship?

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:29 pm

OK, but the point is that I use a medium viscosity ACA so I have just a little bit of time to make any necessary adjustments, once positioned I might give it a squirt of accelerator.
And humidity does not account for the "other worldly" attraction between the tips of the tweezers and the part to be glued.....
By the way, using accelerator on an ACA joint can make it become brittle and prone to fracturing at a later date! XNUTSX
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Phil,

Here are a few pointers to get you started.

P.V.A is useful for long railing runs as it has enough give to accommodate changes in temperature and hence expansion and contraction of the part. As Pete says super glue is the most useful for gluing etch together and a bottle of accelerator is a must have, as is a bottle of de-bonder for when it all goes wrong…..which it is bound to do at some time!

Also matt varnish is good for sticking very small parts, plenty of fudge time and little chance of glue blobs! I have been using Future recently to good affect, once the initial holding application has dried apply a second round the part to beef up the bond.

Long railing runs are best split into smaller more manageable lengths. Use smooth jaw plies, tweezers or a couple of Stanley knife blades on a cutting mat to get sharp bends and various diameters of rod, pipe or dowel for curves.

A hold and fold is very useful and a pair of dividers for measuring railing runs on the model and transferring to the etched part.

Hope this helps,
Rob.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:01 am

I've been finially making a little headway with the hangar deck. Forgive the roughness, I have a bunch of touchups to do...

And now ladies and gentleman, my first experience with etch. It's not great, but it's a start.

Etch is absolutely frustrating to work with. I certainly hope it gets easier. I'm still working out attaching the railings and painting them is difficult. How does everyone on the forum paint etch railings? Paint before attaching, or after?

That's it for now. Belowdecks is coming along. I'll have more pics later...

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:31 am

...and my cat still prefers the boxtop...

Phil

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 am

Looking good Phil.

When to apply etch either before or after painting is always a tricky one. Some apply all before paint some after. I like to apply the trickier fitting parts before paint as I don’t want to mark the finish or damage anything while constantly trial fitting. It is possible to form the part and not glue it in position till after painting especially if it will restrict access for painting, it can be a tough one to call.

If applying parts after painting such as long railing runs paint the railing first then touch up any damage from handling afterwards. If brush painting prime the parts first with an aerosol primer, car spares shops are a good source. This will reduce paint build up.

Rob.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:30 am

I have to agree with Rob, it's a case of "horses for courses" whether you paint before fixing or not.....
I use a spray bomb etch primer by "Railmatch" for undercoating.
The hanger deck is looking sharp Phil, coming along nicely.
I'm sending that picture of your cat to my daughter who is a cat lover!
Cheers,
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:20 am

I can certainly see the benefit of priming first. And let me tell you that etch is most definitely hard to fiddle with. I actually dropped a railing on the floor. I froze right where I was. Luckily it was easy to find. I'm certain there will be more searching for little pieces in the future.

So tomorrow I will be working with some rather long pieces of etch. There are two railings that run the length of the well deck catwalks. Each is about 8 inches long. Which is a better way to approach this, set it as a single length or cut it? I'm already finding that cutting railings is an absolute bear to do. I actually broke a railing and it took me about a dozen tries to get it to match up right and even that wasn't perfect.

I'm almost done with below-decks. Then it's on to the hull. I don't think I have ever been more intimidated by a model before. There are so many small parts it's ridiculous. I don't even think Victory can match the sheer number of small parts. There are 4 sprues of different struts and supports alone! It's going to be a blast to do and I can't wait but it is going to be frustrating.

This build is just plain fun...

Oh, Pete, let your daughter know that my cat, Rocco, is a 6 year old Red Maine Coon. It's the largest American Housecat. Rocco weighs in at a little over 19 pounds. And he is nothing but a clown...

More to come.

Phil

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 pm

If you have a multi coloured carpet and face the problems with it hiding or chewing up little parts ....
consider the option of putting an old large double bedsheet or piece of something that is a plain single colour down on the floor. It did help me a lot at one stage to find things that kept flying off the workspace/table. Whilst we at that time did have a plain single colour carpet little blocks and pillars etc all managed to burrow into the pile of the wretched carpet. (or thats what it seemed like at the time... )

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:59 pm

An eight inch run may be pushing it a bit Phil so I would be tempted to cut it and glue with PVA, hold the part with pieces of masking tape till the glue has set then remove the tape then fill any remaining gaps with more PVA. Try and cut the railing at a bend and avoid cutting in a curved area, it’s a pain trying to match the ends.

How are you cutting your railing? Are you using something like a ceramic tile and a fresh blade? I have seen modellers cutting on vinyl floor tiles which are too soft and will distort the part and avoid dull blades they make the cuts untidy. The part should cut with a snap if all is well so hold it or it will be CSI time on all fours.

Rob.

P.S. Mrs Rob is enjoying Rocco's exploits with the lid, 19 pounds! thats one pampered puss.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:09 am

I'm already looking for a matt to put on the floor and I never thought of a ceramic tile. But I do use a fresh blade. what I'm using is a curved blade so the cut is better.

Oh, Rob, Rocco is in no way pampered. The Maine Coon Breed is just big....I mean BIG. Not really any fat to find on him. Here in the house we have Rocco and his brother Gyzmo. Rocco was on of two red Coons in a litter of 7. The rest, like Gyzmo, were Silver Coons. They're a really sweet breed with a love of water. Here's a few pics that show their size and general attitude;

Tell your wife I'll get some more of the cats on here. They love to ham it up for the camera.

I have a day off on Thursday so I'll get some work done on the Wasp. More to come.

Phil

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 pm

They are a size Phil.
We both enjoy the pictures, so more please.

Anyway getting back to your etch, I generally use a number eleven blade to cut etch as I find it very precise leaving hardly anything to sand away.

Rob.

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:50 pm

WOW!

Rocco is the weight of both of our dogs TOGETHER!

Wonderful animal! And not to forget the wonderful insect that you are building :-)

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:33 am

After a 10-hour day I find myself alone in the house. The wife is a couple hours south picking up the Grandaughter. So after a rare fast-food burger, I took advantage of a couple of quiet hours to tackle more of the etch. First up is the LCAC which gave me my first experience with multiple folds on an etch piece. This required some "dissassembly" on the model, but nothing too bad. The right side Propeller cover is kit-supplied, the one on the left is the new etch cover. It makes a huge difference and put things a bit more in scale. I'll be adding etch to the landing craft also, adding railings and much more in-scale machine gun;

Then I worked on setting up the "bow" railings. These things are tiny and a bear to get into place! But, I'm using "Tack" glue as my adhesive of choice. It's very thick and strong once set up. It gives me about a minute of working time. For now I'm using CA once everything is set. I do apologize for the blurry pic. It's time for me to upgrade my camera;

And I did finally tackle the longer railings along both sides of the well deck. They weren't as long as I thought, but one section was about 3 inches and took some fiddling to get it right. The well deck walls are painted in a neutral gray so I decided to highlight the rails in a Ghost Gray so they would stand out. I'm pretty satisfied with the overall look;

So tomorrow evening, after some playtime with my Grandaughter, I will begin all the final little bits belowdeck. Hopefully by next week it will be done and put aside for the time being while I set about masking the hull for paint, which will bring with it a host of questions. More on that later.

And Rocco says "Leave me alone, I'm having a bad hair day"...

Have a good weekend all,

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 am

Not much to show for the last week or so, unless you count the enormous amount of fun I have been having with my full-of-energy grandaughter. But, I have had a little time so...

Just about to finish the LCU and looking at it I decided it needed a little something else to busy it up a bit, so looking at photos on the web I notice that sailors coil rope lines on either wall of the hull. So I pulled some fine wire from my stash of bits and made some coils.

Then it was just a matter of using my forceps to fold the coil in half, paint it, and use a little PVC to hold it in place. Tell me, does it look in scale?

I'll probaby do a pin wash on the coils, then a dry brush with a very light tan, just to bring out the loops of the coils. I'm also looking at adding a tarp "roof" over the top, which I have seen in several photos of the LCU.

Next came the vehicles. while the tanks and amphibious vehicles are very well detailed, and the trucks are "okay", the Humvees are very plain. Just two basic Humvees and two "Highback" Humvees. So I decided to convert one of the Highbacks into the Ambulance variant of the Humvee. Since an LCU or even the LCAC can by regulation only carry one M1 tank, I want to make the vehicle loads on the landing craft a little more varied and therefore more pleasing to the eye. Here's the basic Highback Humvee that comes with the kit...

And this is the vehicle I'm trying to create, except I'll be making it in desert tan.

I dug into my stash of Evergreene and used some strip to build up the back of the vehicle...

Then it was just a matter of cutting and sanding down to the correct shape.

Next will be scribing in the rear and side doors and making the red cross decals that adorn the vehicle. Then it will be time to start on the hull. Oh, quick question. I've been hitting my head against the wall trying to decide painting order. There are a lot of support struts on the hull and superstructure. Do I assemble first and then paint or paint the parts first, then assemble? And then comes the question of preshading. What areas would benefit the most from preshading.

And I almost forgot...

Gyzmo gives new meaning to "square peg in a round hole"...

More to come...

Phil

Return to “Phil's USS Wasp LHD-1”