Bill's Yamato

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Bill's Yamato

Post by Pete Coleman » Sat May 14, 2011 9:58 am

One of only two models remaining from my misspent youth (the other PT 815 is about 75% complete but in need of a refit after being damaged during a removal a number of years ago).

Yamato was started 25 years ago and took me 5 summer holidays to finish. Built OOB, seams unsanded, gaps left and hand painted; PE was but in its infancy then and the only airbrush I knew about was an automotive one. She spent most of the intervening years at my parent's house until I recovered her around five years ago and mounted her on a plinth; there she stayed laid up until this year when I added the PE and did some maintenance.

The PE is the 1st edition GMM set that I bought back in the mid 90s so is basic in comparison to what you can get these days. I updated the catapults, crane, radar and added the main deck railings. The weathering is minimal and mostly on the hull.

Fraid it doesn't really measure up to those that have gone before me here; my excuse being I didn't have access to this website and all its knowledge back then, but as an 18yo I was pretty happy with it; actually 25 years on I'm still pretty happy with it!

cheers,
Bill

Return to “Bill's Yamoto”