HMS KING GEORGE V 1/350 - 1945

Bill tackles two versions of King George V (1:350th)

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Bill Davidson
Topman

HMS KING GEORGE V 1/350 - 1945

Post by Bill Davidson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 am

After 25 years in the wilderness I have taken up modelling again.

For something simple I decided to build a pair of HMS King George V; one in her early 1941 guise with UP mountings and catapults; the second post the 1944 refit. The former is based on Tamiya’s 1/350 Prince of Wales the later on the King George V.

The aim is to be completed by May 12, although as uni starts in a couple of weeks that might be a little ambitious, but we shall see.

The main references used are:

Raven & Roberts – British Battleships of WW II,
VE Tarrant – King George V Class Battleships,
Ensign 1 – King George V Class Battleships by Raven,
a 1939 rendering by PR Dobson, http://www.prdobson.com/project/hms-king-george-v-1939/;
photos various gleaned from the web, and
a few builds seen over the past 10 years or so.

The following enhancements are planned:

WEM’s Ultimate KGV and additional hatches;
BMK & Master brass barrels, and
various other bits & pieces as needed.

The intention is to mount the two models on blocks on the same plinth.

Paint Scheme:

1941 would be a very sedate medium grey as per the sinking of Bismarck, and
1945 would be Admiralty Standard Scheme A as worn during her time with the BPF.

According to Alan Raven http://www.shipcamouflage.com/3_9.htm this was:

rectangular panel on hull - B20;
remainder of weather work - G45;
camouflage to finish at the top edge of the boot topping;
topmasts - white;
decks:
bare steel - B15, and
wood, semtex, corticene and asphalt - natural colors;
counter shading: paint the following white:
underside of blast shields, flag decks, boats, Pom-Pom decks and other platforms;
lockers, vents, davits, etc;
all darken ship screens, canvas covers for reels, etc;
lower 1/3 of gun barrels, searchlights, etc;
masts and crow’s nest;
insides of gun shields, and
stanchions and other small fittings on upper deck.

Overall Impressions

For an old kit (these were both bought in the late 80s) the moldings don’t look too bad and the fit is generally good. Will need to fill around the jack staff and possibly the ensign staff. Fit between the three piece main deck is reasonably good, although the midship section is slightly wider than either the AX or FX pieces.

Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

Bill Davidson
Topman

Re: HMS KING GEORGE V 1/350 - 1945

Post by Bill Davidson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 am

First up was the hull, starting with the scuttles. The indentations provided by Tamiya, don’t really match either the Raven & Roberts drawings or any of the photos I had. In particular the bow scuttles, which are much lower than the kit ones.

So after scaling the R & R drwgs to fit the hull (I think Tamiya got this about 4.5mm too long) I started drilling. Needless to say I wasn’t happy with the first couple of attempts, so the first hull looked something like this!

Lesson learnt and rather than drilling out the holes, as was the initial intent, I settled for indentations to match those of Tamiya’s just in the correct places and voila; still not quite aligned in places but much better than my earlier attempts.

The white circles are the original indentations filled, which gives an idea of how much higher they are.

As this was done in isolation of the deck fittings, I’m expecting that the scuttles won’t quite line up, however they won’t be too far out. The anchor recesses where drilled out and hawse pipes will be fitted eventually.

The rudder needed some shaping on the lower edge to fit the shape of the rudder skeg, which in turn meant some filling around the pivot point.

Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:21 pm

A technique for drilling out all those little portholes neatly involves aligning whereyou intend to drill With a piece of tape as a guide either above or below. I intend to try this on a project soon

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:56 pm

It’s great to see you having a go again Bill especially KGV, great looking ship.
As for your porthole dilemma I would use a piece of tape as Chris suggests but instead of going straight for the drill I would use a map pin to mark the position of each porthole by pushing it into the plastic. That way any deviation can be spotted and a correction easily made. When you are happy with the alignment the pin marks make an excellent guide for the drill.
The multi part deck is also a problem when it comes to hiding the joints. It may be worth sticking the deck together so it is one piece before fitting it t the hull. That way the joint levels are guaranteed and they will be easier to disguise.
Keep us posted,
Rob.

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:04 am

Chrism/Rob,

I have to admit I used tape on the second hull to aid my alignment, much better than my first efforts. My main issue, apart from my inability to keep the scuttles level XANGRYX was the visual impact on the bow area; I couldn't get the hole perpendicular to the surface where the bow flares outward, or at least look like it was perpendicular. Whether it was my shonky drilling I'm not sure, but using an indentation rather than a full hole resulted in a far more pleasing effect - a bit hard to see on the earlier image as I couldn't get the camera to hold focus.

Lining up the main deck is something I'm not looking forward to. I have been toying with the idea of gluing a piece of evergreen underneath each join and using that to level the two sections. Once both joins had been filled and painted I would fit the deck as a single piece to the hull. When I did Yamato all those years ago, I just followed the instructions and fitted each piece seperately; I was never happy but didn't see any options at the time. I'm open to alternatives if anyone has some experience in this area.
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am

This week as a break from sanding down scuttles I turned to the turrets.

The range finders were cleaned up, seam lines removed and sink holes filled before fitting to the turret. These were fitted flush with the top of the turret with gaps filled and sanded. The molded on ladders were removed and replaced with PE.

As you can see I still haven’t quite got the knack of getting the support lengths right.

The covers for the range finders are full length vice the small squares on the kit parts. KGV 1941 will have them replaced, 1945 remains as is (for now).

A blank was fitted on the bottom of each turret were they overhung the barbette.

Although the filler is a little rough it is barely visible so I saw no point in obtaining a completely smooth finish. You can see the spigot holes for the barrels as well.

Fitting the brass barrels was a hit and miss affair. Removing the plastic barrels was a cinch, aligning the drill holes for the brass ones less of a cinch. I initially tried hand drilling with the remaining piece of plastic in a vice. Whilst easy, it had the side effect of barrels pointing in all directions except parallel XANGRYX .

After some more dry runs I glued the remaining piece into the turret and then carefully drilled each of the barrel location holes, test fitting as I went. With the magic of CA I expect to be able to align each of the barrels nicely.

Although somewhat out of focus, the middle barrels have been placed at a different elevation to the outer ones.

Attaching the vertical ladders was finicky but relatively straight forward. On A & X turrets the ladders are fitted just behind the ranger finder on each side. B turret needs to be lined up with the ladder (missing in the kit) on the barbette, which should be located just in front of the after deck vent on each side. This requires the turret ladder to be placed vertically and immediately aft of the drop in the turret roof armor.

I suspect I will need to relocate the vent aft a small amount to align correctly.

Although Tamiya doesn’t include it and the drawings don’t mention it, there is a ladder on the front of B turret. This runs between the two barrels and is topped with a pair of staunchions. Although not sighted the assumption is this joins a vertical ladder on the front of the barbette. I have yet to decide how to replicate the staunchions.

That was a most frustrating week; vertical ladders must be the cats of the PE world, except rather than landing face up they always landed face down no matter what height they were above the turret sides when placed into position. XNUTSX
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:44 pm

That etch looks nice - but just the thought of it brings me out in a sweat . .

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Your making a cracking start Bill!
I love the look of those turned brass guns...
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:35 am

PE makes a huge difference as I'm sure Rob and Phil will agree but it's painful to get right, each of those ladders averaged something like an hour to cut, shape and glue in place! Admittedly the time started to drop as I did more, but it's still a large investment on a single piece.

The barrels are massive improvement on the plastic ones; I'm sold and won't be going back to plastic again. I have yet to get the secondaries, but I have the 40mm ones, talk about small x28x

The main barrels are 37mm long, the 40mm ones are 8mm and less than 1mm in diameter but are faithful to the original. Adding these to the mountings is going to involve a whole lot of unprintable speech!
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Great start Bill, looking forward to seeing more.
Rob.

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, provides the impetetus to go on.

Spent the weekend preping the second hull (1941); have finished drilling out the anchor recesses and started building up the bow in preparation for fitting the hawse pipes. Last of the scuttles are done and the degaussing cable has been dry fitted - discovered the forward most scuttle on both sides was too close to the anchor and fouled the cable, so had to fill and move back slightly. The cable, having been designed to fit the original scuttles, doesn't quite align with the new positions; still at least I discovered this before I had started painting!

Finished off tonight with the first coat of primer; just a couple of pinkie CA fingerprints. Not bad for the first hull in 25 years x70x

This week; ladder rungs for the boat booms and rigols on the hull scuttles - am I game? Perhaps that should be mad!
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 am

Great looking work Bill. It's good to see your work on here. I can't wait to see more.

Phil

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks Phil,

Been a frustrating couple of weeks, working both hulls and getting the degaussing cable to fit. Discovered that the stbd side quarter piece is too short so will have to add some brass strip to align with the drawings. Got most of the scuttles to align on both hulls, still deciding whether I should follow Rob's lead and add the rigols or not (sometimes it's depressing looking at the work people achieve on here compared to mine, other times it's a challenge to duplicate).

Uni started this week, so I'm trying to get everything finished during the week, so I can 'relax' on the weekend with the build.
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Give the rigols a go, they are time consuming but not that difficult.

I picked them up and positioned them using a fine brush dipped in Johnson’s clear. Put some where you want the rigol to go then position it, dry the brush on some tissue then use it to wick away any excess. Once dry put another cote over each rigol to ensure it’s secure. You will get into a rhythm and you will be surprised at the speed you will achieve and they don’t have to be done in one sitting. Keep a container of water handy though to stop the brush going hard future dries quickly.

Rob.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 am

I guess pva wood glue could be used equally as successfully at that stage - again using couple thin coats.

After you suggested that for fixing windows instead of proprietory clear part glue I've been trying it with success for fixing all sorts of things - including some very poor old decals that would not stay put with decalfix.

Return to “Bill Does 2 X King George V”