KGV 1941 Version

Bill tackles two versions of King George V (1:350th)

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Bill Davidson
Topman

KGV 1941 Version

Post by Bill Davidson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 am

Well, given away the uni studies for the semester; way to much psychology and sociology for my liking, was doing my head in.

The up side is I get more time to model! x70x x71x

Have added Roger Chesneau’s book; Shipcraft 2: King George V Class Battleships to the library – the plans are 1/700, which makes for easier use. It has a bit more detail on some of the drawings in comparison to those in Raven & Roberts (R & R).

Decided I would start on the aft Shelter Deck first. Filled in the mounting slots for the hawser reels; KGV had life rafts rather than reels here in 1941. Removed the doors and replaced with PE. The hatches will be removed if I find some suitable PE replacements (I need a dozen for the hull, some the pressure is on). The vertical ladder was also removed, to be replaced once a final decision on the hatches is made.

Scuttles were drilled out and a number of extra ones added to match the drwgs by Chesneau.

The upper deck doors need to be the short version, otherwise they will foul both the boat deck and the 5.25” casemates as I found out when I went to dry fit everything to the deck. x38x

Comparison of the bulkheads with the Chesneau plans revealed an extra piece needs to be added to the aft end of the upper deck to extend it further fwd. You can only add about 3mm, athough closer to 4.5mm is need, unfortunately any more than 3.5mm and you foul the crane foundations. The underside of the boat deck also needed a little work to accept the changes.

Doors and a scuttle were added to the fwd bulkhead iaw the Chesneau plans. A vertical ladder is needed on the stbd side, however this won’t be fitted until the structure is assembled. Likewise the rafts will be added later. The bulkhead on which the doors sit is recessed slightly, something that is missing from the kit.

Haven’t found any pictures to verify any of this – R & R don’t show this detail in their plans – however have found a picture of DoY in 1944 (Tarrant p215) and PoW (Cheasneau p54) that show the stbd door and scuttle, providing reasonable confirmation of Chesneau’s drwg. Based on a reasonable assumption that this part of the design would be similar across all of the class I elected to include.

Edit: found this picture of KGV in 1941 that shows the scuttle and the indentation for the door, so feel my earlier assumption wasn't too wide of the mark.

Haven’t joined everything together yet, that will happen once the hatches are attached.
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

Rob

Re: KGV 1941 Version

Post by Rob » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Good progress Bill but be careful with your assumptions of similarities between ships of the same class as it’s not always the case.

Rob.

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 am

Rob,

Couldn't agree more. Have been marking up the Prince of Wales instructions with all the changes needed as I study the pictures and drawings. Despite being ships 1 and 2 in the class the external differences are quite marked, something I found surprising given the small amount of time (in warship construction time) between the two.

And wouldn't you know it as soon as I posted I found a image showing the scuttle and the indentation on the fwd bulkhead of the Shelter Deck matching what the drawings show!

Score 1 to me x70x x71x but given the paucity of images of KGV in the time frames I'm thinking these might be far and few between x3x
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 am

Very nice work Bill. You sound as though you are enjoying all the research! x2x
All that effort will be well worth it in the end.
Please keep the updates coming.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:48 am

Pete,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm am enjoying the research, my problem is knowing when to stop looking and start building and probably more importantly (for my sanity) when is enough, enough? I think I redid the bulkheads for the Shelter Deck 3 or 4 times before posting having found another snippet of information each time.

I curse my father's genes and his prediliction for perfectionism with his modelling XANGRYX
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Quiet weekend, Fathers Day here; chocolate for breakfast, skipped lunch and chilli chicken in filo for dinner finished off with a wee nip of The Glenlivet Nadurra.

Did some work on the 5.25” casemates, not much added some doors and a few life rafts.

These will be hidden but it’s nice knowing they are there.

Looking at the images I have it seems that life rafts on the aft port side casemate changed monthly if not weekly, so have settled on 4 x life rafts partly because this is the arrangement in the kit, so is easier to replicate. I also had no idea exactly what this is supposed to be.

The dinghy will be fitted to a cradle and gripes added when the casemate is fitted to the main deck – not so keen on losing it in the interim. The cover was kitchen paper towel dipped in diluted PVA and cut to shape after drying.

Gripes will also be added to the life rafts eventually.
Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned

MrBikerJon
Landsman

Post by MrBikerJon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Bill, I am amazed by the level of detail and research - absolutely incredible. I am building a PoW out of the box, the Tamiya 1:350 and thought I might add a couple of little detailing touches. Just wondering where you got the doors from? Also what was the reason for covering the dingy in paper towel - do you have any pictures of the finished article? Thanks! Jonathan.
Life's more fun on two wheels.

Return to “Bill Does 2 X King George V”