The Black Pearl...Kit Review & Modification ideas

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

CODY614
Leutenant

Re: The Black Pearl...Kit Review & Modification ideas

Post by CODY614 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 pm

O-kay...Phil you are driving me nut's! XNUTSX

The more I look around for the ship the more I dig up!
A line from...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_model

"On the other hand, wargaming scales have traditionally been traced to metric system, where the number of millimetres relate to the relative height of the human figure based on 180 cm standard man. Therefore 25 mm scale (popular in historical and fantasy wargaming) refers to 1:72 scale, whilst the 15 mm scale (nowadays the most popular scale in ancient, medieval and Renaissance wargaming) refers to 1:120 scale (Many manufacturers refer to 15 mm as 1:100 scale). Likewise, 50 mm scale is the same as 1:35 military model scale, and 5 mm equals 1:350 naval scale."[/color]

Soooo....
Black Scorpion miniatures are approximately 32mm tall (29mm to eyes).

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/ ... p?cPath=27

I might just have to look into this more serious!
This is brutal! Take look around the web site...even the "Undead Pirates" look good!

Arrrrrgh Matey...That be all fer now!

Jeff
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."

- Captain John Paul Jones

CODY614
Leutenant

Post by CODY614 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:57 pm

And one more for the purist....
http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/ ... &order=asc

Jeff
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."

- Captain John Paul Jones

RobertP
Landsman

Post by RobertP » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:37 am

Now I know that this might seem like heresy, but the title of the thread includes the words “modification ideas”

I enjoyed the films (though I wouldn’t be desperate to see them more than a couple of times) but what we have here is a new, well designed, well moulded, detailed kit of a small sailing warship of around 1700 (?give or take a few decades either way?)

When I get round to buying mine, I’m not sure that I want to paint £90-£100 worth of boat a combination of black and grey (with the odd bit of gold here and there)

The questions therefore are:

What else could this kit be built as?

Is it enough like an English/Spanish/French/Dutch ship of the time for modification?

If so, what adjustments should be made and what sort of painting scheme might be used?

If the above suggestions suggest the need for a separate thread, please let me know

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:57 pm

i find it odd that you would pose these questions without some idea of an answer yourself.

if you invest $100 in the kit and then desire to modify it to be more colorful but yet historically somewhat accurate, which is a pretty big investment of your time, it seems like you would already have some idea of possible answers to your questions...and if not, why would you wanna invest this kind of time to begin with?

not knocking the idea...simply trying to grasp why anyone would consider spending the kind of time/money on a kit to build something they have no inherent knowledge of from the very start.

PLEASE understand, i am not putting the idea down, just seems odd to me as I never take on a model project unless i have a preexisting passion for the subject matter...but maybe there are others who simply like to build things for the sake of building them...but that is challenging for someone like me to get my head around.

also, i have no clue to the answers to any of your questions as I bought the Pearl because of my love of the pirate movies it was in and the characters that were aboard her.

peace. out.

RobertP
Landsman

Post by RobertP » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:32 am

I think its fair to say that I have an existing interest (passion?) for the subject matter in the sense that I have since childhood been fascinated by sailing ships, particularly of the late 16th to early 19th century (I think the C S Forester novels were the first “serious” books that I read!)

What I don’t have is the extraordinary, at times encyclopaedic, knowledge that many contributors to this forum have on the subject matter and my post was an attempt to get some discussion going on the potentials of what looks like an excellent kit, not only to produce a model of a ship from the film series, but also to offer opportunities in other areas. We have to remember that its so rare for any sort of “age of sail” ship kit of any sort, of any quality (that’s not just another company's old molds re-boxed) to come onto the market that I think its full potential needs to be considered.

I suppose in the end its all about what motivates us to build models of things? I suspect that we all do it for a variety of reasons and isn’t that just as it should be?

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:57 am

then, in my humble opinion, i would build it in a fashion/color that pleases you most -- why even worry about how historically accurate it is, color wise or otherwise?

but again, perhaps I miss your point.

Either way, it is irrelevant that I understand your motivations or not. Have fun.

ted

RobertP
Landsman

Post by RobertP » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 pm

. . . the fashion/colour that pleases me most would be a reasonably historically accurate ship from around the mid 18th century and maybe there are forum members who might have a view on how that might be achieved? . . .

My understanding from a bit of “Wiki Work” is that the story behind that the Black Pearl is it started life as a merchant ship of the “East India Trading Company” and known as “The Wicked Wench”. At some point armament became 32 x 32lb guns (would it start life this heavily armed or was the armament increased for “piratical purposes”?). It has no bow or stern chasers.

Events of the films are supposed to take place during the reign of George II (1727 to 1760) but the ship itself may well have been built before 1727 (I may be mistaken on this but the height of the stern to me suggests an older ship, perhaps built at the end of the 17th century)

No spritsail topmast, but not all ships had them and in any event they were going out of fashion in the early 18th Century

(More knowledgeable forum members. please correct the above brief account)

So to build the kit as a historical ship, we are essentially talking about a heavily armed merchant ship of the first half of the 18th century, British owned (but not necessarily British built?)

Basically, colour scheme would be the usual light/mid brown hull, white/off white below the waterline. Wales in black, fancy work in gold, decks and masts a light tan, etc., etc?

Perhaps a couple of “long 9s or long 12s” as bowchasers, but I’m not sure about cutting gunports in the transom board

Paintings and pictures of East Indiamen models I’ve found online suggest that blue was a popular colour for the upper areas of the hull sides

So the next question is, are there any glaring inaccuracies that create more substantial problems (bearing in mind that the kit hasn’t arrived in the UK yet so I’ve had to go on the shots of sprues and the built kit from Zvezda as well as those on this forum)?

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:32 am

Robert,

I am nowhere close to the league you are in -- it appears you have much more knowledge than I do about sailing ships.

I simply bought this kit because I loved the movies, and am doing my best to build the kit to look like the one in the movie, but straight from the box and not with all the amazing modifications like Pete is doing.

i was likely out of line to question your enthusiasm for building sailing ships.

it appears you have already started answering some of your own questions, and i imagine it won't be long before someone else on this forum will step up and offer even more invaluable information.

best of luck to you when you finally do get your kit...i can't imagine you'll be disappointed in the kit itself, regardless of how you decide to paint it or modify it to realize the ship you wish to build.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I've watched this discussion with much interest and thought now a good time to jump in.

After working with this kit the last month or so it is obvious that the original purpose of the kit was NOT the Black Pearl. There are fife rails on the parts trees that are not called for in the kit, and the stern decorations and the figurehead come on a tree of their own, which implies that it would be easy to add to this kit to make it whatever Zvezda wanted. Revell did this with the 1/96 Constitution kit to make it into the United States. Also, if you look at Zvezda's January releases you will see another sailing ship, the "Black Swan". It is the exact same kit as the Black Pearl, but the stern decorations and figurehead are changed. Since I don't see the Black Pearl in their catalog anymore I'm assuming Disney put the Kabosh on the kit (Zvezda may not have had permission to do it). So now there is The Black Swan. Same ship, different paint job.

As for the ship itself, I think it is a representation of a 17th Century Russian sailing ship from somewhere in Zvezda's catalog. It just so happened to look enough like the Black Pearl for Zvezda to say "ya know what we could do?"

I wouldn't really worry about the historical accuracy of the ship. Just be glad the model community is getting another nice sailing ship kit, especially one so easy and enjoyable to build, which is becoming more and more rare these days (I don't know why though. Sailing ship models are some of the most beautiful on the market.) The Black Pearl/Black Swan kit is very nice and is an excellent candidate to be made into whatever the builder comes up with. If you look around the web you will find some artwork of The Black Pearl in her first incarnation as "The Wicked Wench", which is a very attractive vessel and might be a color scheme to use.

Phil

RobertP
Landsman

Post by RobertP » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Interesting observations Phil. Original release date for the Black Pearl in the UK was I think May 2011. I'd heard rumblings over on Finescale Forum that Disney and Zvezda didn't share exactly the same interpretation of the word "copywright"! Its been around in Eastern Europe (Russia and Ukraine) for some time, but we're still waiting in the UK. If Zvezda wanted to release a kit they would probably only have to tweak the carvings to get past Disney?

In some ways, a good quality kit, as this clearly is, that can be built with a little adjustment as The Black Pearl, Wicked Wench or or a late 17th/early 18th century merchantman is a lot better than one that would have to be seriously butchered to turn it into anything other than its release version. Interestingly, someone over on the Finescale Forum mentioned getting two and building one as Black Pearl and one as Wicked Wench!!

A quick internet search, as you suggest, offers some interesting possibilities for the Wicked Wench, which would I suppose, as a serving merchant ship, not be a million miles from the sort of outline colour scheme I mention above. What seems to be added is a white stripe along the line of the main deck battery, and perhaps red in place of the blue I suggested. (You do get some interesting results when you Google "Wicked Wench" - the more sensitive should adjust their browser settings first!!)

Interestingly, the more I think about it, the more the project appeals to me. If my local store can get me a kit (Black - Pearl or Swann) it may have to move up the queue and be next in line after I finish my Soleil Royal (plenty of time then)

Perhaps the important thing is that we all buy one, build it to suit our individual interests, and good sales figures might persuade Zvezda to product another, high quality large sailing ship. If they wanted to stick to famous vessels from book or film, they could do worse than a large and detailed HMS Surprise or HMS Lydia?

RobP

Return to “The Black Pearl”