Creating the New Bulkhead

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

pstanfield
Captain

Creating the New Bulkhead

Post by pstanfield » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:27 am

Well, having nothing to do today except work with the models, I decided to jump headfirst into my first true scratch-build...the bulkhead to the Captain's Quarters. Since I didn't see the logic in driving and hour and a half just to get a package of sheet styrene, I decided to use artist's collage card for the bulkhead. It also works better because it is thick. Looking at pics of the bulkhead on the actual vessel, I noticed how thick the bulkhead is when the door was open.

Using the original, I cut the new bulkhead. Eventually I'll be cutting the railing off of the original and using it on the new bulkhead. I will also be cutting off the rounded portion of the original bulkhead and using what remains as a backing to the new bulkhead. I will be tilting the new bulkhead. This will be more like the real vessel as well as create the overhang that is present on the actual ship.

After finding center (or close to center), I drew in where I wanted the windows and door. I'll add the arches of the top of each opening later. I added one of the statues to see how things look. Luckily, Zvezda put replicas of the actual vessel's statuary on the display base, which I will not be using. The statues are a little overscaled, but they will work.

Whups! First mistake. I noticed that the windows are too close to the doors. So after making corrections I cut the windows and doorways. Not clean, but they'll be neater soon enough.

Now the fun part. I already have a lot of evergreene styrene strips. I matched the size and began planking the bulkhead, cutting the openings after the glue dried. I used regular CA glue. It holds the styrene to the cardstock very well. I did take the camber into account. I'm not sure if the camber is reflected all the way up the bulkhead, but to me it looks very nice.

Using smaller styrene strip, I created the molding around the windows and doorway. This time I put both statuary in the pic to see how it's going together.

Now I tried something new. The styrene is smooth. But the rest of the ship has a lot of texture and grain. To mimic this and show a little wear/age, I coated the entire bulkhead in thick CA. Before it could set I tapped my finger into it. As it thickened, it left my fingerprint. After doing this all over the bulkhead it now has the light texture of woodgrain. It's not too pronounced, but should show up when I weather the paint. I also rescribed the planks, making sure I wasn't too straight, though I did overdue it. A little gray primer and here's what we have...

Now for the windowpanes. Pretty simple, yet tedious. Real small styrene strip, creating 12 panes per window.

Now the doorway. I thought about how to do this, settling on my favorite, cardstock. Using thin card, I cut a template to fit the doorway. Then I used styrene strip to create the panels on the door.

Then I used the CA trick again, except this time I also forced CA into the inside seams, which helped to fill in the panels, making them look like they were routed from the door itself...

And here I present the finished bulkhead. I may try to find a way to spruce up the molding around the doorway and windows a bit. It looks kind of plain...

Now I move on to the deck, which has a blank spot where the curved portion of the original bulkhead fitted around. I'll have to sand it down and rescribe the deck planking. It won't be a perfect match, but when I add some rope coils, barrels, etc. (Black Pearl was a messy ship...Pirates, remember? Not the neatest of sailors) it should look ok.

And there we go. My first true scratchbuild. Not the best looking and I'm sure other modellers will do better, but it will look good when fitted to the model and will be a whole lot better than the original.

More to come...

Cheers,
Phil

CODY614
Leutenant

Re: Creating the New Bulkhead

Post by CODY614 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 am

Nice!
Looks really good. By the time you get it painted and weathered...it will be awesome! x26x
I like your CA trick. What I have done in the past is use liquid cement, Tenax or such. But yours would be quicker and less smelly.
And don't beat yourself...most probably wouldn't have taken the time to fix the door...The old "Close enough is good enough!" theory!
The only thing I would say is..."Use the bottom of the kit bulkhead below the door, and your new door where the old door should be by cutting it off." Just because of the alignment tabs, and for strength.
Phil you are gonna make get this kit!
Here in Arizona...it has been a month of several of the "Pirates of" movies...over and over...and on different channels! So...I guess I'm becoming smitten by the bug! x38x
Keep up the excellent work... x71x

Jeff
Last edited by CODY614 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Can't spell!
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."

- Captain John Paul Jones

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 pm

CODY614 wrote:Looks really good. By the time you get it painted and weathered...it will be awesome! x26x

I've got to agree with Jeff, Phil, your first foray over to "dark side" looks to have been a great success!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Edmond Dantes
Topman

Post by Edmond Dantes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 pm

very cool
Cameron (aka Edmond Dantes)

bobjacon
Landsman

Post by bobjacon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:50 pm

pstanfield wrote:Well, having nothing to do today except work with the models, I decided to jump headfirst into my first true scratch-build...the bulkhead to the Captain's Quarters. And here I present the finished bulkhead. I may try to find a way to spruce up the molding around the doorway and windows a bit. It looks kind of plain...

Phil
Phil,
Thought I would give you a sneak peek at my scratch built Captains Quarters bulkhead designed after YOUR inspiration...my first time at scratch building parts for a ship...let alone building my first ship!

New bulkhead (above) vs kit bulkhead (below)

BobJ
~ Bob J ~ "Expanding From Figures Kits to Building Ships"

Return to “The Black Pearl”