Initial bulkhead fitting and color mixing

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

pstanfield
Captain

Initial bulkhead fitting and color mixing

Post by pstanfield » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Well, with the Wasp flightdeck drying on it's hull, I have some time to get going on The Pearl. First up is to check the fit of the new bulkhead and cut the old bulkhead.

Here I am...at the Point of No Return. I'm still going to use the lower half of the bulkhead. It should keep the hull fit true.

Next is the main deck. There is a portion of the deck that was meant for the original bulkhead. It will have to come off.

Then sanded smooth.

And the planks will need to be re-scribed. Crude, but it should suffice. I'll be adding some fixtures later to help cover and blend things.

Now to check the fit of the new bulkhead. I was a little worried that I had made the angle of camber too deep. To my surprize the fit was very good.

Now for the paint. I'm going to have to address color and weathering early on since I will be needing a lot of each color. So I'm mixing now, and righting down my ratios. I'm also separating parts of the ship. I'm making an assumption that different parts of the ship, being made (at many times) from different types of wood, will weather differently. Also, human interaction will weather wood differently. So with that I'm going with; Below waterline hull, Above waterline hull, bulkheads, deck, masts/yards, rigging, sails, and railing and fixtures. Below the waterline will be barnacled and nasty. Above the waterline will show bleaching from the sun, as well as rust and other weather effects. Bulkheads will be the same as the upper hull but with less bleaching. The deck will be a combo of bleaching and foot traffic wear. Masts/yards can be almost the same as the upper hull. The rigging is going to be interesting, since photos show all the rigging was black, but worn and bleached from age. I'm not addressing the sails yet. I'm not sure how I want to approach them. Railings and fixtures will be the same as the upper hull, but will show a rich darker brown underneath the bleached black from chipping/wear and tear.

Here's what I was thinking for the black. In order, it is Dark Gray, washed in black, dry-brushed Ghost Gray, a very thin pin-wash in recesses and for shadows, then touch-up dry brush with the Ghost Gray. I'm okay with it, but I was thinking of making the undercoat a little richer with some brown. What does everyone think?

For the deck, I went with Tamiya's Deck Tan, followed by a heavy Black Wash, then drybrushed with a Deck Tan/White Mix. I also experimented with varying the intensity to represent heavy traffic areas.

And here's the two together. Doing this different type of weathering should keep the model looking interesting. I was worried about having too much of one color making the model look boring and monotone.

That's it for now. I'm working on the Wasp tonight but should be starting the hull fitting on Black Pearl tomorrow.

Cheers,
Phil

drmcoy
Landsman

Re: Initial bulkhead fitting and color mixing

Post by drmcoy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 pm

looking good! love the mods you're making.

Return to “The Black Pearl”