Building the Black Pearl

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Re: Building the Black Pearl

Post by dafi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 am

... I just need a bottle, a bottle is what I need ...

... I will share my story if you share your bottle with me ...

Wonderful, IT FITS!

XXXDAn
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Once it dries (I checked this morning, it's got a way to go) I'll be painting it all, then doing a variety of washes and highlights, followed by a nice clearcoat. I'll be doing the clearcoat by hand making sure to pull it up onto the hull for that "wet" look.

I've also be playing around with fake "snow". While looking for a solution to the "spray" problem I was facing my wife pointed out some fake snow while we were in the Christmas Place during a recent holiday in Gatlinburg, TN. It's extremely fine and powdery. I'm going to experiment with some of it to see if it will add a "foamy" look. My only concern is scale. The snow may be not look right for the 1/72 scale of the model. I believe that's why the celluclay works. It's the best material for the scale. We'll have to wait and see...

Phil

mark chapman
Leutenant

Post by mark chapman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:20 am

That look great so far.
You are very brave to do what you are doing to that Bow area.
I would have experimented about 10 times on a dummy set up before commiting to the ship proper.
Also for foam/spray I have been experimenting in my kitchen while my wife is out and using her blenders I have been making a blends of white toilet tissue and Johnsons clear polish in various strenghts and have come up with supprisingly good results.
Although I am a long ways from using this mix on my Sub diorama it may be the way I go.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:12 am

Funny you should mention that...I did a small test, but I must say I did ask myself "what the heck did I just do?" when I actually applied the celluclay to the ship. I've just finished up paint, which involved several shades of blue/white in a combination of washes and drybrushing. That's followed up by several layers of thinned bathtub caulk that dries clear. Adding thin layers of clear allows me to create depth as well as to slowly "wet" the hull without it being too heavy in places. Then I'll take the caulk at full strength to make some thick water effects coming off the hull at the bow. So far I'm pleased with the results. I have also taken some big chances with making a water effect coming off of the anchor rope. I'm using a combination of celluclay and milliput to create the effects. With the caulk I'll put a real, real, real thin pieces of wire from the bow to the base. I'm hope the caulk will stick well to the wire so that it will look like a snapshot at the moment the bow pulls out of the wave and water is flowing off the various parts of the hull.

I know....I really try to go big. But, this is for my daughter and I'm gonna go big if it puts a smile on her face. She just opened her 2nd nail salon. And to be this successful at the age of 24 is unheard of in the U.S. these days. A dramatically detailed diorama from one of her favorite movies is the least I can do to show her how proud I am her...

Plus it's just plain fun doing all this new stuff.... x7x

As for the TP in the Blender trick. I read about it somewhere but keep forgetting to do it while my wife isn't around. We'll have to see how it works out. I'm still concerned if it's going to be in scale, or match the impressionist picture that the whole diorama shows. It's looking insanely dramatic and I now even have a small "story" that goes along with the diorama. More on that later...

Here's a couple of "in progress" shots as I was applying a wash...

And if you have missed my cat....
"The battle raged for hours, with both sides collapsing from exhaustion. For now, the war between cats and dogs would have an uneasy truce...."

More to come.

Phil

bobjacon
Landsman

Post by bobjacon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 am

Glad I checked in....FABULOUS job Phil!!!It is really turning out GREAT!
Thanks for posting the updates!

BobJ
~ Bob J ~ "Expanding From Figures Kits to Building Ships"

hmr-79
Landsman

Post by hmr-79 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi! Just amazing build. Bought a kit myself but haven´t started it yet.
I love your weathering and since im new to experementing with paintjob i have a couple of questions.
What basecoat did you use on the hull and the launch? And what weathering technique do you use?

Best regards Martin

Return to “The Black Pearl”