Well, with the holidays reaching peak, I find myself able to get back to the workbench. What has taken my attention you ask?
My wife of course. During the holidays she is a baking fiend. Cookies everywhere...and I, of course, was the diligent helper....knowing I would be able to sneak away many "samples".
Back to the Pearl. I have decided to fully rig the cannon, and I will not be using the kit supplied plastic tackle. So first I had to make and set rings for each cannon.
The rings are made from a fine wire I picked up from my local Hobby Lobby in the Jewelry making section. I just folded a small length over to create a "U" and then twisted the wire like a bread tie. This gave me complete control over how big the ring would end up being. Then I snip the end short enough to fit into the hole I drilled.
After I got the rings in, I set about deciding how to rig the cannon. I pulled blocks from my extras. Luckily I had a several dozen blocks left over from my Soleil Royale build. little on the large size, but they'll do just fine. I did a little carving on each block to make them a little easier to work with. Many on the forum will remember that Heller's blocks are not the easiest to work with.
Next was using the small wire to make hooks for each block and tying them off. My old eyes
were hurting after setting up 40+ blocks.
Setting the blocks aside I went about deciding what kind of thread/string to use for the cannon. The first test was normal rigging thread. It just doesn't work for me. It doesn't lay right. It just looks "toyish".
Next I tried wire. I wound two pieces together, trying for a "rope" look. It's more controllable, but just doesn't look right. I was starting to get frustrated. I'm doing so much to this kit, more than I've ever done before, and these cannon were becoming a "builders-block"
Then last night I remembered I had this wire stashed somewhere. I picked it up at WalMart's Floral section. It's a small diameter wire wrapped in thread. I found it in a drawer.
So I cut off some string on the ends, creating built in hooks, trimmed it to length and tried it. Bingo!
And it lays how I want it to.
So next I dyed some lines with teabags in hot water, dried, and waxed the lines. Then I cut them to length, created a loop for the end of the cannon, and there you go. A perfect fit and it will lay beautifully. I'll also be able to lay the lines differently for each cannon, creating a look that is much more pleasing and interesting to the eye.
Next will be figuring out rigging the tackle. Maurice, your article is going to prove quite valuable to me. I'm also setting about finishing up the hull and get it clear coated. Then comes the masts and "gulp" the sails, which will probably end up being the hardest part of this build. Once I get to this point, I'll start on the water base. Maurice, here again your experience in this area will be of great value to me.
More to come. I want to take this time to also wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. I hope your year has been good and your holidays pleasant. Though I have never met any of you in person (I hope to someday), I call all of you my friend. Happy Holidays everyone. May Santa fill your port with many goodies.