Building the Black Pearl

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

pstanfield
Captain

Re: Building the Black Pearl

Post by pstanfield » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:05 am

Well, after going through 2 rolls of tape, the sails are done. Taking the advice of people here on the forum I decided to make the patches a little more subdued, with some patches almost invisible, just like the sails in the movie. I simplified my approach for painting the sails too. First I laid a coat of Dark Grey, followed by masking and painting patches. After one layer of patches were dry, I clear coated the sail, then laid down other patches. I did this until I was satisfied with the number of patches. I was wary of the patches making the sail look comical. Then I set down a wash of black over the entire sail.

Once a layer of wash was dry I clear coated and washed again. The layers of wash played very nicely with the patches, blending and separating them in an interesting way. Once the last layer was done, I did a dark was just on the inside of the seams and against the yard. I then did a light dry brush over the surface, blending the patches and highlighting the billowing effect and light direction. Here's the result. Let me know what you think.

And of course I couldn't help myself. I just had to get an idea of what the whole setup would look like.

In the photo, the hull actually comes out as a sort of black/brown. This was intentional to a degree in order to keep the ship from looking one single, boring color. But, I will be adding some "black" tone to the hull a little later. With the sails out of the way for now it was time to move on to the shrouds. I'm tossing the kit supplied shrouds and rigging them myself. Digging through my box of rigging thread I have two choices. Please bear in mind I'm not overly concerned with diameters. I just want it to look good. First is my standard. It's a black, pre-waxed line.

My only concern here is that the line may be too black and too thick. My second choice would require a bit more work. It's slightly thinner than the black, but it's tan. I would have to dye the line. Looking over the movie screencaps the shrouds are not black. They look like they used to be black but were allowed to dry out and grey, with some black remaining inside the twist.

If I use this thinner line I'll be taking black acrylic paint and thinning it down with water to about the consistency of milk. I'll then drop the rigging into the mix, pull it out, pinch the line in my fingers and gently wipe the line until it looks like I want. I tested this and the line did not get stiff when it was dry. I'll then wax the line as usual. That's the plan anyway.

So what does everyone think? Use the black, or us the tan and dye it black? I'm leaning towards the tan, but if everyone thinks the black is okay, I'll go ahead and use it. Either way I have a lot of work ahead of me...and I'm definitely not looking forward to the ratlines...

I hope everyone's new year is off to a good start.

More to come.

Phil

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 pm

sails look amazing...bravo!

as i am using all rigging line supplied in kit, i have no strong opinions about what looks better of the options you've described...i'm confident that whatever you choose will end up looking FABULOUS.

there is someone on RPF doing a Dutchman kit...when it's ready for order, i'll post info here if you are interested. i imagine your daughter would love it :)

ted

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks for the compliment. You mention someone is taking on a Dutchman? That is one heck of a modification if they're making a movie version. I have pictures of the ship that was made for the movie and the stern alone is loaded with detail. I'll have to jump over there to take a look.

I've got some pictures of the shrouds coming up. I had to make some adjustments in order to make them work in place of the kit supplied pieces, but I think they're coming out nicely.

Phil

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:10 pm

This is certainly coming along nicely. It has been a while since I stopped by and looked in on you, and you have cracked on a pace in that time. Excellent stuff.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 am

Not too much of an update today. I've been able to work up the modification for the shrouds. Since I don't have any available deadeyes, I've decided to use the mockups from the kit. I was skeptical at first, but once I got them in place I was a little more satisfied. Since the shrouds were under a little tension, and wanting to make sure the plastic deadeye rigs followed the same angle I had to come up with a different way to mount the deadeyes so they had some flexibility. A little wire did the trick.

It's kind of trying at first, but once you get a rythm going, shrouds, as with all rigging, becomes kind of relaxing.

For rigging thread I took natural color and dyed it using thinned black acylic paint. I'll be using this for all the shrouds, ratlines, and standing rigging and may end up using it for even the running rigging. I've gone over dozens of photos of the actual ship and all rigging appears to be the same grey. The black acrylic acts as a dye, sort of. The line is slightly stiff once dry, but after running it between my fingers it not only loosens up quickly, but it also lightens up as the surface paint is worn away leaving the line stained a dark grey with paint remaining between the coils. It's a really neat effect.

Right now I'm working on the Mainstay. I've always considered this rigging a focal point of a model ship so I want to get it right. The Mainstay as shown in the kit is nowhere near right. It took several hours, but I finally found a couple of photos that give a decent picture of the mainstay and the various blocks used in its setup. I'll have photos in a couple of days.

More to come,

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 am

Wow! they look really good for kit parts. Your sympathetic painting and finishing of them helps a lot though! x30x
Great stuff Phil.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:16 pm

your build never ceases to amaze me.

curious, i notice you do not have cannons in every one of the second floor windows (pardon my non-nautical lingo) do you plan to have some out and some in? or is there some way to get cannons into openings?

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 am

My original intention was to do as I usually do with a kit. One side with ports closed, the other open with guns displayed. Now to my dismay the guns somehow came loose (as is always my luck). It's not really a big deal to fix, but now that I'm going to make a sea base for the ship I'm probably going to close the gun ports so I can make a "rough seas" base. It will look better since the Pearl will be under full sail.

New pics coming soon. I'm getting the last of the shrouds in place and starting on standing rigging. I do have a choice in front of me. Rob, Pete, Maurice, you're input would be helpful. The scale of the Pearl is 1/72nd. Could I get away with threading the ratlines through the shrouds or should I just knot them all?

Phil

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 am

Hello Phil,

At 1:72 scale the ratlines would work out at 0.17mm diameter, so 0.1mm line which is readily available, would probably be ok and provide a good contrast with the larger shroud line. It would also be the best option if you decide to go down the threading the line thro' the shrouds, rather than knotting it, route.

I don't have any experience of doing the needle and thread method as I have always attached ratlines with simple overhand knots. At the scales I have been working at they are less bulky than a true half hitch, although half hitches will be required on my current build.

I don't know but I imagine that the needle method would be slightly more tricky in getting the lines straight, whereas with knots the lines can be adjusted up to the point where the outer knots are sealed before trimming.

Maurice

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for the tip Maurice. I used the both the half hitch and threading the shroud. I use a straight-edge that I modified with a sort of channel in order to keep the needle straight. I used it on my Soleil Royale and it worked nicely. I'm working with the Pearl tonight and I'll see how both methods work. Right now I'm transporting a couple of ships (including Royale ironically) over to my other son's house. Wish me luck...

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:03 am

Well, not a whole lot to show off on the Pearl. I finished the shrouds and will be moving on to the ratlines tomorrow as well as some mid-build touchups.

So with endless hours of ratlines ahead of me I have jumped onto the diorama. After searching all over the web searching for a technique for the type of ocean conditions I desire, I came across the following. It's exactly what I'm looking for...

A guy name Dominique Banton in Costa Rica has a how to on this type of water using....wait for it....toilet paper. Yep, good ole TP. The technique takes advantage of toilet paper's ability to break down into individual fibers when wet. You literally just take the toilet paper, lay it on your surface, wet it down with a water/glue mix and use a large brush to bunch break down and bunch up the fibers, creating waves, wakes, and what I am looking for, foam/spray. I'm going to be mixing several techniques to get what I want. I'm starting with a styrofoam base. Unfortunately I picked up the wrong type of styrofoam for what I intended to do, but I'll live with it.

After marking the area where the Pearl will be placed, it was time to start cutting. There's probably an easier way to do this, but I just use what I have available.

This is going to get messy....wife is going to kill me.

So after running downstairs to get the vacuum cleaner all it took was dig a little, test fit, dig a little, test fit until I got what I want. The Pearl will be rising on a crest of a wave, breaking through at the top...that's the plan anyway.

Next I marked where I intend to put waves

At this point I would use a rolling pin to compress the styrofoam into the rough shape of the waves. This would have made everything a lot easier had I bought the right styrofoam. So instead I'll be using Celluclay to set up the basic form of the seascape and waves and the TP to make the foam and white wave tops.

And of course I couldn't resist to get a better look.

Next up will be ratlines, laying down the Celluclay, and making the display box. Ratlines...oh the joy...

More to come,
Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

Very nice Phil, I am watching your progress with great interest.
P.S. what are the diecast motors in the background?
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

habuhunter32
Landsman

Post by habuhunter32 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Now thats looking fantastic! Like alot of folks I'm following your build with great interest. I have the hull and decks together and have started on the cannons. I hope you don't mind but your weathering is my inspiration for what I want to do with mine. x4x

Excellent job sir! I salute you! x2x
Been there done that is an illusion. Everyone can still learn from others!

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Pete, those are actually models I built. I'm an American Muscle Car fan. The red one is the new Dodge Challenger and the Blue one is a 2008 Shelby Mustang. To me it's always good to break away from the ships and work on something else. It keeps things interesting.

As for Pearl, it's not perfect, but I am having a great time with all the new things I'm doing.

Phil

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 am

golly bob howdy!

your approach to base is exactly what i would do if i had the skills and/or patience.

love the slight cant/tilt -- beautiful approach -- very majestic/elegant -- captures the spirit of Jack/Pearl, while showing off model.

thanks for continuing to document your progress.

t

Return to “The Black Pearl”