Building the Black Pearl

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

drmcoy
Landsman

Re: Building the Black Pearl

Post by drmcoy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:09 pm

wow.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Da-da-da-de-dum-dum, da-da-da-de-da, da-da-de-de-dum-dum, dum-dum-dum-da-da!

See, I can write music x2x ...
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Really comimg together now Phil.
Rob.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 am

Well, a nice comfortable Saturday. Got the rest of the base together and let it spend the night weighed down with some wood glue and small nails. The dark spot is a test with some stain.

This morning I pulled out the quick dry walnut stain. By this afternoon, it was ready for a satin clearcoat. I chose satin so that it wouldn't stand out over the diorama. I didn't bother with the inside since it will be covered by the seascape. Then I set it aside to cure.

As for the Pearl, I finished the ratlines last night and knocked out some touch-up. I do have to say no matter how much I moan and groan about tying endless knots, when I'm done I'm always glad I did.

So this evening I'm taking a break. A nice glass of wine, dog at my feet, and the company of my lovely wife. I'll probably take tomorrow off and do some cleanup around the workbench. I tend to be a bit messy. Monday it's on to the rest of the standing rigging and mounting the seascape in it's wood case.

more to come,

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:24 am

Well, after a bit of a break from the model I've been back at it for the past couple of weeks. Not a lot to show, just a lot of rigging. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how the rigging is coming out. I'm even more pleased with the seascape. I did end up with an odd fit problem, with the seascape somehow becoming too big for the wood base. Luckily a little sanding was all it took to get it to slip right in.

Whups, forgot to add one little detail.

For the nameplate I started with primer, then hand painted the entire piece with a simple acrylic gold. I followed that with liquid gold leaf on just the letters and border. Once it dried I polished the letters (the liquid leaf can be polished) and gave a nice gloss clearcoat, followed by a wash on the background. Once final clearcoat and it looks nice and antiqued.

I decided against mounting the ship until everything is done. Admittedly it would have been a nightmare trying to rig with the ship in the diorama. Here's some shots of where I'm at on the rigging. It has been taking me anywhere from 8-9 hours to fully rig up and balance one sail. Please bear in mind I have a lot of touch ups to do. I also did not completely agree with some of the rigging and belayed some of the ropes a little more logically. All of the rigging line I used was tan then dyed black, turning a nice light gray when I waxed them.

I do have a few tips for those who are building this kit, especially if you haven't started rigging yet. RC Anderson's book "The Rigging of Period Ships, in the days of the spritsail topmast" comes in handy if you're going to add any rigging or "correct" some rigging that is wrong. One area that stands out is the lateen sail. The rigging is not completely accurate. Also, while the instructions call for rigging from the top down beginning with the foremast, you may not want to do it this way. With the hard plastic sails, it can get very difficult to get in behind the sails to run your lines through the blocks. I should have listened to my gut and started with the mainmast at the bottom and working up. And then there is the tension on the lines. Watch how much tension you're putting on your lines, especially the bowlines (lines on the sides of the sails) on the foremast. It doesn't take much tension to pull your standing rigging down, especially given the weight of the plastic sails. I've also noticed that foretacks are not in the instructions. I'll use the Anderson book to decide how to add them. As always please forgive me if I'm not getting my ship-terms right.

That's it for now. Overall I'm pleased and my daughter loves it, though I know I could probably do a lot better by swapping out parts with some nice aftermarket items, especially for the rigging. I'll remember that for the future. My wife really likes the kit so it looks like I'll be purchasing the "Black Swan" kit from Zvezda and build it for her, seascape and all. I'll also be able to paint the Black Swan how I please and purchase some nice aftermarket blocks and whatnot, which will probably push back my CSS Alabama build. Until then, rigging on the Pearl will continue at a comfortable pace. I'll also be working on Jack himself in a couple of weeks, as well as picking up my pieces for the clear display case. I hope everyone is doing well with your respective builds.

More to come,

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 pm

A very nice update Phil.
Your seascape is looking just great!
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Pete.

drmcoy
Landsman

Post by drmcoy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:54 pm

wow.

i know i keep saying this, but what a beautiful build.

i'll be happy if mine turns out 1/10th as nice as this.

i'll also be happy if i stop dragging my feet and start in on my rigging.

thanks for the tips...truly appreciate the time you take to post pics and such detailed descriptions of what you are doing.

ted

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:52 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. There's just not a lot to report on, unless you want to see me fighting with the rigging. It is an absolute bear working around full sails. But I am getting there. I'm now on the final bit of rigging on the mizzen before I tighten it up and start dressing the deck. I'm using some dowel and carving out some barrels, then coming up with crates, bags, tarps and the like. Not a whole lot since the sails obscure a lot of the deck, but enough to make it interesting.

As I was rigging, I found some glaring errors in instructions. While rigging the main mast, in step 53 it looks like the writers of the instructions neglected to show any braces for the topgallant yard. I used Anderson's guide and ran the rigging from the mizzen, belaying along the railing, which kept things from getting fouled. The same error is made in step 55 with the Main Sail. In this case I looked at how it's rigged on the actual ship. I found a nice pic showing the line is tied off to the base of one of the Mizzen Deadeyes, to the block on the yard, and then through a sheave at the bow of the ship. Ironically there is a hole for a ring at that exact spot. I just drilled through it, belaying the lines on the appropriate fife rail. Here's what I'm talking about...

I may or may not post pics of the ship. I'm wanting to surprize everyone with what has turned out to be the most detailed build of mine to date.

Coming up, modifying and detailing Jack himself. You're going to love where on the ship I decided to put him!

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:00 am

Well, as this build starts to wind down, I start getting bogged down in the details....those little things that make such a huge difference in the final presentation. I will say this build has been an absolute blast. With that said, I'm now working on some crew figures. I chose some that would not require a whole lot of modifications. Since the sails obscure much of the deck, I'm thinking I can get away with just 6 figures or so strategically placed.

And of course it wouldn't be the Black Pearl without Jack Sparrow. I used Milliput to make dreadlocks. I'm not sure how well you can see it in the pics. It will stand out when I get him painted.

Next is the Pearl's flag. Here's my flag-making method. I start with heavy duty aluminum foil, smooth out a section and spray a light coat of gloss grey.

For the flag I'm using white decal paper. Just find the graphic, which was pretty easy, reduce it to proper size and print it up. Then I coat the decal with clear matte spray. two coats. Then it's just a matter of transferring the decals to both sides of the aluminum foil. I use decal set to make sure the decals lay down

I then set it aside to dry for a day or so. Next up will be weathering the flag and getting it rigged, which will be interesting since the flag is mounted on the mainmast.

Here are some tidbit pictures of the Pearl. I'm holding back a bit to surprise you. This is some of my best work with the new techniques I've learned...I hope everyone will like my rendition of "The Pearl"

More to come...as always, the devil's in the details...

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 am

From what I can see here Phil, your stunning "Pearl" sets a benchmark for others to follow...
Brilliant execution all round, your Daughter must be very proud!
I have totally enjoyed watching this project grow and thank you posting this log for all to see.
I am now eager to see the final result (and to see what comes next)!
Cheers,
Pete.
xYayx

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Looking forward to more pictures Phil.
Rob.

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:50 pm

dark box for dark sea for dark ship with dark flag: very tasty presentation :-)

Interesting way of doing the flag, thanks for showing!

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:47 am

So on to the flag. Now if you watched the 3rd movie, Elizabeth yells "HOIST THE COLORS!", and the crew raise the flag, which you see at deck level, then in a following scene you see the flag reach the top....of the mainmast? Really? Clearly being a creative license of the movie, I chose to rig the flag just at the top. Hoisting a flag up the mainmast seems a bit, shall we say, impossible?

Anyway, I first have to cut the last of the excess foil, leaving a bit that will be folded over and colored black. This will create a stronger area for the rigging.
With that done I start weathering. The flag is foil sandwiched between two decals so it has a bit of a gloss and looks entirely too clean. So I cut out a few small holes/tears and fray the end. I then use pastel chalks to dirty up the flag and mount it to the mainmast. Then comes the fun part. I use anything from a toothpick to the various size handles of paintbrushes to curl the flag forward and back, finishing with curling the individual frays.
There. That will give it a little more character. One final dusting with the chalk and a little matte clear to tone flatten out any remaining gloss and to hold the shape and it's done.

Up next, Jack and crew take over the Pearl!

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Josh Brolin is hosting Saturday Night Live tonight so it will be a nice evening...

More to come,

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 am

So now is the time to mount the Pearl into the base. And don't you know my luck. Celluclay has a habit of shriking. Not a lot, but enough that when I placed the ship into the base there were significant gaps.

And then there's the spray off the bow.

I'm just not satisfied. My intention was to give a sense of speed....that the Pearl was faster than the wind itself, that the water had to fight to keep up. I know this isn't centered in reality too much, but then again, this is the Black Pearl. Just as the producers and director's took creative license with the ship in the movies, I'm going to be taking a little creative license with the model. It's going to look fast. First, my wife brought up some floral wire for me to use as framework support for the additional celluclay I'll be using. I need this framework to extend the celluclay "spray" out farther from the bow.

I'm starting to really have fun with the celluclay and I'm learning a lot of different techniques for making the various textures and shapes I need. I must say this build has been a huge learning experience for me.

I know it looks messy, but bear with me. What I'm doing is pulling the celluclay on to the hull at a forward angle in order to give the impression that the ship is pulling the water along as it churns through. You can really see the effect at the bow, which I purposefully over-emphasized. I'm even trying to get the water coming off the anchor rope. Once dry and painted up we'll see if I got the effect I wanted, that being the a snapshot as the ship breaks through the wave, pulling up and forward with the speed she is legendary for.

"Trust me. If you had to ride on this boat, you would be drinking too."

Once it's all set up and painted I'll add the rest of the crew. The effect with the crew will show that it's just another day, regardless of the speed, regardless of the waves. They're totally uneffected.

It's going to take a couple of days to cure, so cross your fingers that I got it right. This is all a big experiment.

more to come.

Phil

Force9
Captain

Post by Force9 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 am

Looks fabulous Phil!!!

Perhaps a bit of high gloss clear along the hull near the water to impart a "wet" look?

I freely admit, however, that I am NOT a diorama-ist - but I very much admire folks like yourself who are!
Cheers
Evan Gale

Return to “The Black Pearl”