Modification list

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

pstanfield
Captain

Modification list

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 am

I've had a couple of requests for a list of all the mods I've made and will be making to the Black Pearl. Here's a list for you, though I may make some additions to it as I find other needed mods. For my Pearl I built the kit to reflect the second/third movie. The ship was significantly different in the first movie so some of these mods would have to be changed. All Scratchbuilds used existing parts from the kit or Evergreene. I use Evergreene because it is very pliable and easy to work with. It's also not too expensive. I got mine from Hobbytown, though the web has it for lower prices.

-Scratch-build bulkhead to match ship from 2nd movie (use statues from the display stand)
-Scratch-build stairways to match 2nd movie
-add steps to all kit stairs to be more in scale
-fully rig all top deck guns
-no cannons under stairs (next to bulkhead) They are not in the movie.
-Scratch-build new base/stand for wheel to match 2nd movie
-Scratch-build grate underneath wheel
-change 4-post belfry to a 2-post belfry to match 2nd movie
-Scratch-build bell and bell mount for belfry
-change skylight (it should be an "A" like a roof, not flat)
-Cut Three stern supports (Step 16, parts K71, 70, 66) to match 2nd movie.
-Scratch-build hand rope handrails around hull to match 2nd movie.
-Move Bow Fiferail to the railing behind Mast to match the 2nd movie. (Toss kit port/starboard fiferails from step 48)
-Scratch-build rope handrails for steps leading below deck. (toss kit supplied parts)
-Add rope railing to the port/starboard stairs leading to the bow to match 2nd movie.
-Completely rig all shrouds/ratlines. (Toss kit-supplied parts from step 42, but keep the kit deadeyes)
-Use better tackle for standing rigging. (Toss kit-supplied parts from step 44)
-Add additional rigging (as per "Rigging Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast", and pics of the movie ship)
-Mount ship in water-base diorama, representing heavy seas.
-Weather (Dye) all rigging to match 2nd movie (greyish/tone)
All scratchbuilds are relatively easy except for the Bulkhead and stairways. For the bulkhead here's what I did:

1. Create duplicate bulkhead from heavy artboard using original part as template. Evergreen plastic can also be used. Make sure it's at least as thick as the original. I then cut the both the kit piece and new piece into two pieces, cutting where the bulkhead meets the deck. This allows me to use the kit piece for putting together the lower decks and hull. Very carefully cut the railing at the top of the original bulkhead off. You will need this piece. When I cut it, I cut the railing and kept the plastic on both sides all the way to the port/starboard parts of the ship. this allowed me to use the mounting pins so I would have a tight fit with the hull to the deck.
2. Draw on location of door and 4 windows.
3. Cover bulkhead with Evergreene strip to mimic wood. Recut windows and doors when done.
4. Create window panes with fine Evergreen strip. Use Evergreen to make door also.
5. Because the kit part isn't being used, a part of the deck will be exposed that is not molded as the deck. It has to be sanded down smooth and the lines on the deck rescribed into it.
6. Follow instructions up to step 16 before mounting new bulkhead.
7. Carefully fit new bulkhead. Make sure top of new bulkhead leans to the stern with a roughly 6-8% slant. This matches the actual ship. It took me about 10 test fits with cutting and sanding in-between each fitting. The tricky part is getting the railing at the top to mount to both the hull and to the deck.
8. Once bulkhead is in place, mount statues on either side of the door. These statues will need to be trimmed at the bottom to be the same height as the door. while not a perfect match to the movie, it is about the best I could get.

The new stairs/railings are created from Evergreene strip. I used trial & error and got real lucky. On hindsight, I may have mine at too low and angle with too many steps, causing it to get in the way of the cannon. But the height of the upper deck is more then the movie-ship, so it's difficult to guage. I would recomend 10-11 steps. The angle will be steep, but it will more closely match the movie and not fowl the cannon.

Rigging the shrouds is also a fairly extensive undertaking on this kit. I used the kit deadeyes (they have to be cut from some of the shrouds and modified to accept rigging thread). If I had the money and time, I would have ordered wood deadeyes. If I build this kit again (I want one for myself) I will order the wooden parts. They will install easier and look a lot better than the kit parts. I used wire for mounting the kit deadeyes, drilling holes for each. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a book on rigging model ships, especially if you have never rigged shrouds before. I use "Rigging Period Ship Models" and "The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Sprit Sail Topmast". The former is extremely easy to follow and great for beginners. The latter is a great read....and I mean a lot of reading. I also cannot recommend enough that you ask the guys here on the forum. Pete, Rob, Maurice and the others here are not only great modellers. They are also extremely knowledgable when it comes to anything dealing with period ships. I can rig a ship...just don't ask me what each part of it is called....

Well, that's all I have right now. I'm may add some more mods as I get closer to completion. I'm still studying photos of the actual ship to see if there is anything I'm missing. Now, I intend on mounting the ship in a water base, making the ship into a diorama. In order to accomplish this I will be adding a few crew to the ship (including Jack Sparrow) as well as a lot of crates, barrels, and sacks. Looking at screencaps from the movie you can clearly see all manner of boxes and bags just behind the foremast on the lower deck as well as underneath both stairs next to the bulkhead to the Captain's quarters.

If any of this is confusing, I apologize. I'm not that good at explaining things in writing. Just message me if you have any questions.

Phil

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Re: Modification list

Post by dafi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:47 am

Wonderful list!!!

All the best, Daniel

PS: If asked to do it for my Vic, I would rather do it the other way round: Which parts did I use without being modified: crowns on the cathead and the clamps for the main-yard hanger ;-)
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

bobjacon
Landsman

Post by bobjacon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks Phil....great list!

I'm about half-way done with my mods on the list you've made....I've also made a lot of the same mods that you have done.

As for the cannons not being under the stairs next to the bulkhead, a picture is posted of the film crew and it clearly shows the back of the cannon on the left side http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/ ... df4_b1.jpg
Maybe it was there for storage or omitted from the movie or just plain missed...I left mine there just so I didn't have a cannon hatch closed.

Also, you forgot to mention the scratchbuilt binnacle that you made...but I guess that was an add-on and not a modification.

I don't know if I will do ALL of them...but I know you were after getting it more accurate to the 2nd and 3rd movie and have done a great job in recognizing the differences! Can you tell me if the kit supplied bulkhead is from the first movie? I can't seem to figure that out and it has bugged me since starting the kit.

My biggest challenge was definately the new Captains Quarters bulkhead but i think I did pretty well in getting it to look close to the look of the movie...I posted a pic of mine in one of your threads about modifications to the bulkhead. My 50 year old eyes are NOT what they used to be so it was a real challenge working with such small cuts! XNUTSX

For the window panes...I used something different that was definately easier to work with...I used spackling mesh to get the frames the correct size and spacing that I needed for 12 panes. It was also more accurate to scale for the panes...thinner lines.
I'm at the point of building the staircase in my build. I have found that there are also some gaps that will need to be puttied but nothing that can't be corrected or hidden.

BobJ
~ Bob J ~ "Expanding From Figures Kits to Building Ships"

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:30 am

You're right! I did forget the binnacle. Thanks for the catch. And using mesh for the window panes....Genius! I wish I would have thought of that.

Now, I have the photo you linked. It's from the first movie. Yes, the cannons were there in the first movie. I also have pictures that show the new ship after it was completed just before shooting the 2nd and 3rd movie and the cannon are there also. But, the screencaps tell a rather strange story. If you go through screencaps from the second movie, the cannon seem to be there for some of the exterior shots of the ship, and not there for random shots on deck. I'm thinking this is an editing issue. All three movies had a ton of inconsistencies that arose from editing. It works either way and it wouldn't be much for me to add the guns back in, but since I'll be adding all the crates and barrels along with closing off the guns it won't make much of a difference.

Phil

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 am

It's nagging at me, so I looked closely at some screen caps from the 2nd movie. Towards the end of the movie there is a very nice angle showing Jack with the back side of the stairs behind him. The cannon is there. There is still the editing issue with some of the shots, but that's hollywood...

Excuse me while I eat my humble pie....and figure out how to put the guns in my build....

Phil

Nemo2001
Landsman

Post by Nemo2001 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Phil,I take it you didn't make a mould from the figurehead or name plate as all future models are now the Black Swan and have had the tools changed,so its a case of sculpt one or just go with the Swan,thought I would ask,
cheers,Gordon

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 am

I purchased my Black Pearl last October directly from Russia, before Disney told Zvezda to cease distribution of the kit, so my figurehead is the actual one. And the only thing that makes the Black Pearl the Black Swan is one small sprue of parts. Zvezda changed the sprue that contained the figurehead, stern scrollwork, and base nameplate. they also removed the clear lanterns from the kit altogether. That's it.

Now I don't condone such a thing, but I imagine some creative and enterprising person will create their own mold of the omitted sprue and make it available in modelling circles. But the Black Pearl kit is still available on Ebay, though the price is starting to climb as the kit becomes more and more rare. I myself may be picking up another one for the stash. I really like this kit.

Phil

habuhunter32
Landsman

Post by habuhunter32 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm

On the Zvezda facebook page someone asked if the lanterns were still in the Swan kit. The reply from Zvezda seemed to indicate that the Lanterns are still there. Does anyone have the Black Swan and can confirm or refute which is which? x3x I thought she was just missing the figurehead and the nameplate. I am hoping someone will make the missing parts available as part of the aftermarket at some point. I have The Black Pearl and have bought The Black Swan (on Backorder) to build as The Wicked Wench at some point. Mike
Been there done that is an illusion. Everyone can still learn from others!

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 am

Here is a catalog picture. It clearly shows the stern without the lanterns. Oddly, the Black Pearl stern scroll-work is still in the kit.

Now, as I am finding out more and more, Zvezda is full of contradiction. Notice the box art shows there ARE lanterns, though they look to be quite a bit smaller than those of the Black Pearl.

So it appears Zvezda merely changed the nameplate, possibly the lanterns, and figurehead. Because of Disney, I'm fairly certain we won't see any aftermarket parts commercially available. As for home-made? Who knows.

Phil

habuhunter32
Landsman

Post by habuhunter32 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:59 pm

I bought my Black Swan from OmniModels and it is projected shipdate is in a couple of weeks. Early Feb. pushed back from late January. I guess I'll find out whats in the box when I get it. It's a shame that Disney is such a pain to deal with! x4x

Zvezda's Black Pearl is a fantastic kit! To bad that not many will be able to build as her affordability is seriously hurt by shipping cost's from Russia and dwindling supply. I bought my Pearl in September from Freetime Hobbies here in the states and in that short amount of time of 4 months thier price has gone up by $40.00usd! x20x I'm glad I got her then! x7x

Cheers. Mike

Nemo2001
Landsman

Post by Nemo2001 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:22 pm

It is only the nameplate and figurehead that have been changed,I have the Black Swan and checked its parts listing page against the same page in the Pearl instructions that someone posted on the ebay page with the kit and the sprue change is that they have taken the 3 parts for the figurehead and replaced it with the parts for the Swan and on the sprue with the nameplate they have changed it to the Black Swan,and that is why I posted the question about moulding the pieces,I can only assume that they changed the tooling as opposed to making a completely new tool however I contacted Zvedza by email but they didn't reply, I did however get a reply from their distributors in Europe Hobby-Pro and it was to say that it would be against their licencse agreement to sell them to anyone more importantly to send out replacements for so called missing parts,I tried,and my hope was to get a hold of the three parts for the figurehead and base nameplate and pay to have them moulded,that way anybody looking on the forum could have one for the price of postage, after spending so much on developement and tooling for this model not to mention the award that disney gave Zvedza for the design work on the model I'm surprised that we havn't heard more of a fight from Zvedza with Disney,anyway my offer still stands if anyone wants to lend the parts I can have them returned in about a week from recieving them(thats in the UK,longer if your sending me them from outside UK)I dont know how to post pics or I could have posted pics of the Swan sprue's that have been changed as well as the lanterns(which look the same to me)
you can pm me,
cheers,Gordon M

Nemo2001
Landsman

Post by Nemo2001 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Ok found out how XCLAPX ,here are some pics of the spue from my Swan box,the figurehead has been replaced with the two swan halfs and two parts for the bow decoration below the Swan,the nameplate has been changed but is still in the same sprue posistion and the lanterns and windows appear to be unchanged,I got mine end of November in Glasgow at local model shop

Gordon M
Attachments
IMG_3195.JPG
lanterns
IMG_3193.JPG
nameplate changed
IMG_3192.JPG
figurehead changes

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Isn't it funny how so much money in licensing fees comes down to a little plastic figurehead. That's essentially what this is all about. Just one little 2 in piece of plastic. I'm fairly certain that's what the issue is. Either Zvezda could not afford the licensing fee or Disney wanted the kit to be more faithful to actual Pearl. It is something to think about when you look for the kit on EBay and find that it is now over $130 (think about that...I paid less than that for my Heller Victory). One has to wonder if it's worth the extra 30 or 40 bucks just to get that one little 2 inch piece of plastic.

But, I think I do have to say that we probably won't see any home-grown molds of the figurehead available, since the legality of such actions is questionable. Perhaps we should just put that subject to rest now. I put up this modification list as a favor to someone who asked. Out of respect for the Pete and all other moderators I'm going to avoid discussions of possible violations of copyright and leave it to personal mods.

More pics of my build will be coming to the build thread in a few days, and I'll be getting going on the display base as soon as I get my ocean color right...

more to come,
Phil

Nemo2001
Landsman

Post by Nemo2001 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Sorry if I made it sound as if I was going to breach any copyright laws,I have been in the past involved in licensced properties for various film and tv shows so the last thing I would do is blatantly break them,most companies tend to ignore small amounts as it would be too costly to take an individual to court considering the small amount that individual has made so I just wanted to offer a friendly non profit service to those less fortunate,and I'm not saying Zvedza's figurhead was exact but it would have been easier to copy than sculpting one especially in this sizeI am in the process of sculpting my own figurehead and will probably get the nameplate done on a laser etch machine but I know that there are a lot out there who cant sculpt but would have still liked to build the pearl,it would be a shame to see the sales of the model become static and prevent future developement by the company and there are loads of people out there offering aftermarket parts for kits of licensed vehicles etc but calling them by other names to get away with profiteering,that was not my intention,and I apologise if this is what you thought,matter closed,lets see more mods

cheers,Gordon M

habuhunter32
Landsman

Post by habuhunter32 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks Gordon for posting the pics. I'm glad the lanterns are still in the kit. At least I know whats in the box and what is not. xViolinx
Cheers. Mike

Return to “The Black Pearl”