Time to get the feet wet

Phil Takes On Zvezda's 1:72nd "Black Pearl" From The P.O.T.C. Franchise.

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

pstanfield
Captain

Time to get the feet wet

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:51 am

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to decide exactly how to display the Black Pearl. I'm well into rigging now and will have to start on the base soon. So I spent an evening on the web looking at various artwork. Since the Pearl is under full sail I wanted something that would do it justice. I pictured heavy seas, with the Pearl breaking through the top of a swell. This one is my favorite:

Or maybe just at the point of breaking through:

Or even just riding out heavy seas, to give the vision of endurance.

So once again I've given myself a lofty goal. The question is, how to get there? Maurice, your seascape article has proven invaluable. Thanks again for posting it. I think I've arrived at a sort of mix of different styles. I'm using 2" Styrofoam as the base. I'll be making a wood frame and bottom for it. I'll be carving out a section for the hull, as well as carving out depressions for lower areas of the "ocean", and using wire to secure the ship to the base. I'll then be using Celluclay to build up the swells, painting it all, then coating the entire area with clear silicone. Now, if I am to show the Pearl breaking through, I'm going to have to come up with a way to make ocean spray. I'm going to be experimenting with silicone and cotton, spreading out the cotton into the spray I want and then mixing it with the silicone. I may need to water down the silicone a bit. That's the plan anyway.

And please, if anyone has any suggestions on making ocean spray, or suggestions on how I could create my "vision", by all means let me know. This is all new to me so any help would be appreciated.

Grand experiments to come....

Phil

Rob

Re: Time to get the feet wet

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Phil,
Have a look at this modellers work.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

It should give you some ideas.

Rob.

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 pm

See the second picture: That just could be the Black Pearl having the studding sails out in a weather like this!!!

Here another nice stormy version I really adore:
http://www.geocities.jp/theropenews/ale ... page1.html

That is the same guy, that build the big japanese Vic:
http://www.geocities.jp/theropenews/victory-page.htm

Wonderful and astonishing work!!!

All the best, Daniel

PS; and ...hihihihihihihi... still, he fixed both anchor cables onto the messanger ... see page 6 ....hihihihihihihi... ;-)
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I love Katseas' work! He has some of the best "hyper-realistic" ocean techniques I've ever seen. One of my favorites is his USS Hornet with the Doolitle Raiders. Absolutely beautiful. I've never read how he does it, but I'm suspecting he is using resin (expensive stuff) over a painted surface, then using a very fine fiber, such as micro-insulating fiber, to create the white water and spray, and also to submerge some in order to create the white water just below the surface in the wake. Up close you can see the fibers in the spray, but from a normal, everyday viewing distance the illusion is fantastic.

And I've been collecting diorama pics for a few weeks now, but that Cutter Alert diorama is almost exactly what I'm looking for, though maybe not so high in the back. It looks like either polyfilla or Celluclay is the base for the water, with some excellent paint-work.

I'm sure my water won't be near what either of these masters can do, but it will be a good start to my diorama work...

Phil

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:16 pm

I created this not so rough seascape with "Polyfilla" and then painted it with "Humbrol" enamels using a stiff brush and plenty of gloss varnish...

It looks better in real life!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:54 am

It looks great Pete! It's very expressive and is one of the reasons I'm using Celluclay. I'm experimenting with adding a few layers of clear silicone to give some depth, and allow me to blend in some high spray. That's the plan anyway.

Oh....Caribbean area rough seas color. Dark Blue/Green?

Phil

mark chapman
Leutenant

Post by mark chapman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Another product becoming popular with sea- scape modelling is Liquitex gloss super heavy acrylic gel from most Art shops and suppliers. I will be using this when I model my next project of a U-boat in a heavy sea.
It appears to have all the characteristics that I am going to need in modelling the waves that I intend to have up and over my U-boat.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:40 pm

I've seen a lot about the artist's gel. Aside from its cost, it looks like a good medium.

There are a lot of mediums to choose from, each with their advantages and disadvantages. I guess it comes down to the type of diorama. Calm seas versus heavier seas, that kind of thing. For what I'm doing, the sea is going to be one of the focus of the diorama. The sea should almost have a surreal life of its own.

That's the plan anyway. Right now I'm finishing some rigging on the shrouds. I've got my materials together for the base, so I'm putting my plan together. Get the basic shape so I don't have to use a lot of celluclay.

More to come...

Phil

Return to “The Black Pearl”