Just getting my feet wet!

Greg tackles the Academy kit incorporating some etched goodies:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

geedog
Leutenant

Just getting my feet wet!

Post by geedog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 am

How does one start a new build? Don't ask me,because I always spend hours just handling the parts and looking at the sprues and instruction booklet. After what can end up as days and weeks and on more than one occasion years, I just start the kit.

That being said, I will give some insight to why the Titanic. I found this model in 1995 or 96, I can't recall for sure, and just had to have it. I'm one of those people that has always had a thing for the Titanic. My first recollection of the Titanic and her story began in the early 1960s, having seen "A Night To Remember". I seem to remember reading everything I could find including Walter Lord's book by the same title and anything else with the name Titanic on it. With the wreck being discovered, all my childhood fascination came back with a rush and the inevitable purchase of the model. But as life would have it the planned build got put off time and again, for all the reasons we all have. Then it was a wistful " someday project". This being the Centennial of her tragic maiden voyage, I thought it would now be a fitting time to bring out the box and see what I can do with it.

The model is my entry in a shipbuilding Group Build on another forum, and Pete has been generous enough to let me share it here. I can not promise a museum quality model, it will be far from it. But it will be the best I can make it with the skills I have. So please excuse the blunders; there will be many I'm sure, and please feel free to offer any advise you think you want to share. I'm all ears and will be most appreciative for any and all assistance.

Now to the first steps in my build log.....

I've mocked up how I want to attach the hull to the pedestals of the stand. I'm thinking along these lines, 2 1/4" bolts 2-1/2" long up thru the base and pedestals up into the hull. I fashioned a 1/4' plywood insert to take the stress of tightening the bolts off the styrene of the hull but still traping it to the base.

Once the decks are glued down this will be permanent. So I've got time right now to make adjustments. Of course the hull will get painted before I make this a done deal.ImageImageImageImage

Thanks for looking in...
Greg
Careful with that axe, Eugene!

Maurice Wilcox

Re: Just getting my feet wet!

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 am

Looks like you have endless hours of fine detailing fun ahead of you Greg.

What scale is the kit and how long is that hull?

Maurice

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 am

Hello Maurice,
Thanks for looking in.

Please pardon my oversight. The model is 1/350 scale. The hull is 30-1/4 inches long and 3 inches wide.

Yes, hours and hours of fun.....maybe a bit of hair pulling too. I'm planning an 18 month build so hopefully less hair pulling and more fun. x4x

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks Greg, I can now visualise what you have ahead.

Your Titanic is the same width as my Seventy-four but twice as long, and half the scale - enjoy x7x

Maurice

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey Greg,
That's the same method I used with Tamiya's 1:350th USS Enterprise back in the day, (now long gone) x11x
You will be pleased to learn that it worked very well indeed!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Your off to a good start there Greg.
I will be following with interest.
Rob.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:59 am

I shall be following along with interest too. I am being badgered into possibly tackling the 1:400 kit which was an Academy kit too, and is being re-released by Airfix, with the intention that I have it finished for end-October/first week November.

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Just to check in:

I've been going over a mountain of Titanic information lately, more specifically the TRMA site. Given the tremendous amount of detail needed to make the model an accurate representation of the ship, I'm needing to pare down and sort out what I am capable of with confidence, might be capable of with 'that's passable', and what I just can't do.

Much like the Victory..... this kit has many short comings. Now with that where can I take it?

So bear with me as I sort this out, I promise to make some progress soon.

Greg

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 am

Not a whole heck of a lot to say.....the pictures tell it all. The big center hull seam and drilling out some of the missing port holes.

Well......one has to start somewhere. I'll be jumping around a bit with this so bear with me, I think it will be a Titanic when I'm done. x7x

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 am

You also could consuder to drill the holes through and to fill it up with Kristal Klear after painting. This is one of the best effects to be achieved:

http://www.amazon.com/Microscale-KRISTA ... 114&sr=8-2
Microscale KRISTAL KLEAR Window / Light Maker & Adhesive

Here is one fine example of how to use it:
http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de ... post311157

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello Daniel,
Thanks for the response. And thanks also for the links. Truly astounding attention to detail.

While I appreciate your skills, I feel somewhat challenged by the task ahead of me. So with all good intentions and some good luck, I will try to do the best my limited abilities will allow. So bear with me. My hope is to build a presentable model but without a doubt there will be flaws.

Hopefully I can get some more time in on her today.....maybe something worthy of a pic or two.

Greg

Return to “Greg's RMS Titanic Build”