Starting the hull

Greg tackles the Academy kit incorporating some etched goodies:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

geedog
Leutenant

Re: Starting the hull

Post by geedog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Thank you, gentlemen.

Maurice, as you say frustration training is about to start. I'm thinking of starting the deck chairs and benches so as I layer up the various decks I can place them before the area become inaccessible. Especially the promenade deck near the gym and smoking room. The are 40 deck chairs on the fret so I should be able to have some nice groupings on the promenade as well as the boat deck. Oh lord there are 48 benches. Anyone want to sign on as a subcontractor? x9x

Dafi and Rob, all the credit goes to TAMIYA Tape. I had no trouble at all getting around the curve of the stern.

As always, thanks for looking in!

Greg
Careful with that axe, Eugene!

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:39 am

The fo'castle deck is molded incorrectly. There is a well at the very forward end for the center anchor to store in. Using the Rivet Counter website as a reference and some pictures from Bob Ballard's book, I started hacking away.

Next I glued some scrap styrene to the underside of the deck to create the depth of the well and act as a bulkhead for the well. After getting the shape cut and sanded, I glued another scrap piece to that to act as a shelf to hold the well decking.

And then a little dry fitting. The hole will get some sheet plastic to make the well floor, and a PE grating and an anchor, that I've got to scratch build.

Slow progress I know, there seems to be some modification on every step of this model. Hopefully, things will speed up once I can get past all of these must do things and get to the "you can't see it from my house" stuff.

Anyho that's today's update.......

Greg

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 am

Good to see you are still working on your build Greg. I don’t seem to have either the time or the inclination for modelling at the moment.
Your solution looks neat and straight forward always indicators of a well thought out plan, I particularly like the recycling of the sprue gate number 4.

Keep us posted .
Rob.

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks Rob! You never know when just the right thing is laying close at hand.

A little more to show. The bow has a very prominent stem piece, molded to the deck that I had to cut away to make the anchor well. So this morning I cut this piece away from the discarded piece of the deck, and later I'll fit it back to the bow. Here's a pic of how it is suppossed to look.

Just a series of what I'm trying to do.

So what about the anchor well deck? I took what was left of it and what do ya know... A near enough fit to use as the deck. A little filler and paint and an anchor with the PE grate over it and viola I'll have it.

That's all for today and thanks for looking.

This is the book that first picture came from. I need to credit that pic.

Force9
Captain

Post by Force9 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:21 am

Well Done! Very nice effort to include an important feature of the bow...

Amazing how such a famous ship has no kit that really accurately depicts her...

Sigh.
Cheers
Evan Gale

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Force9 wrote:Well Done! Very nice effort to include an important feature of the bow...

Amazing how such a famous ship has no kit that really accurately depicts her...

Sigh.

Thank you sir. No truer words can be said. But I guess that's where we come into the equation as modelers.

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:07 am

I have taken a step towards scratch building the center anchor.

It's just a bit of armature wire hammered flat between two pieces of steel plate and bent around a tapered mandrel. This picture, excuse the quality of it, is just where I've laid it into place to check the size and shape.

As you can see I also have started painting the plastic decks. A base coat of Krylon "Pebble" a warm grayish tan color, left to dry overnight. Then a coat of Minwax "Golden Oak" oil stain brushed on and left to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. At that point I drybrushed it with a coarse fan brush, wiping off the brush after every pass, along the planking to pick up some of the stain and streak it a bit. The Titanic's deck were Pine so I just want a hint of color and grain. In 1/350 scale it's easy to overdo so I think I'll let this be my technique for the decks.

Please feel free to comment and thanks for looking

Greg

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Trying to get back to this build. Forgive me the for the long hiatus, life has thrown me a few curves.

As of late, I've gotten the juices stirring to bring the old girl back out to the bench and restart the building process. To that end I have been refreshing my research into the ship and the improvements to the model. I've been making repeated visits to The TRMA site, THE RIVET COUNTER Titanic Titanic.com and other builders logs.

Recently I ran across these Wall Panel graphics designed to fit the 1/350 Titanic. Very much like Derek's lino pattern and deck graphic for the VICTORY.I had no choice but to download and print these for my build. They replicate the Private Promenade for first class, the Cafe Parisien, and the Veranda/Palm court. These areas will be readily visible on the model and i hope will add a little pizzaz without a major undertaking of time and effort. we shall see how that goes when i get there.

And now some pictures of said graphics

I also threw in a picture of the base I made. Its just a piece of oak that I cut and routed, stained and gave a couple of coats of clear poly.

I still have a few projects on my bench to finish up but I intend to piddle around with Titanic in the mean time. I'll post and up date here and there as things move along.

Greg

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:04 am

Good to see a re-start Greg.
XBLX

Maurice

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Ye-ha, I'm loving this build log!
Thanks for sharing Greg.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you kind sirs. as I said in the previous post, I'll be piddling a bit. There are so many sub assemblies and PE parts to fold that I'm just going to bump along. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon cleaning flash from between the steam pipes on a funnel. Very tedious work.

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:29 pm

A before shot on the sprue with the flash between the steam and whistle pipes.

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 am

A better picture showing the results of the clean up of the steam pipes. And a shot of all 4 funnels in order, note my crude way of labeling them so I'll know their order later on when i will be adding them to the model.

Greg

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Nicely done Sir, don't forget that the 4th one was a dummy!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

geedog
Leutenant

Post by geedog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Right you are. The internal lining for the number 4 funnel is blanked off except for the galley vent. So I should have no problem keeping that one distinguished from the other 3. I'll be opening that and extending the vent pipe down to give it some visual depth.

Return to “Greg's RMS Titanic Build”