USS Olympia, Protected Cruiser

Mark builds the re-issued Revell kit, complete with wooden decks and etched brass goodies!

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Maurice Wilcox

Re: USS Olympia, Protected Cruiser

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Dammit Mark will you stop teasing me with these bloody photo's, it's bad enough that I have to move the Olympia box each time I want to get to the Pegasus box, without your pretty little pictures of a very attractive build weakening my resolve at every turn. x7x x4x

Nice progress,

M

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:32 pm

When I started Olympia, I wasn't comfortable with grinding detail off to replace with the resin parts. But now, I'm feeling like an old pro. I didn't remove the cast on bow torpedo tube and it is starting to bother me. I may go ahead and do that now.

I'm having problems with some of the more complex ladder bending, I end up with railings breaking off. I suppose I can glue them back together. I got a couple extra frets of PE so can experiment on technique a little before running out of new parts.

Mark

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Seems like getting my own section has coincided with the distractions of selling my house. I have to keep the house shipshape all the time in case prospective buyers want to come by and I haven't been pulling Olympia out of the kitchen pantry when I get home from work. It was much easier when I could leave everything out day to day.

Mark

Force9
Captain

Post by Force9 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 am

Mark -

I've enjoyed your build very much and you've inspired me to step into the same ring... Santa Claus made room for an extra present in his sleigh - I now have my own Premium Edition of the Olympia to add to my stash.

Happy holidays and happy modeling in the coming year!

EFG
Cheers
Evan Gale

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Evan,

Enjoy Olympia, she's a nice ship! I'm trying to work up my nerve to bend some more brass PE for Olympia. I think I can work out a way to keep model work going AND keep the house suitably neat enough for prospective home buyers to come through.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to everyone onboard!

Mark

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 am

I got ambitious today and got Olympia out of the pantry. I had removed the ladders and foot rails from the stacks because they didn't right. So I put new foot rails and ladders on both stacks and repainted and glued into place. Then I got adventuresome and added railing to the port side main deck. I'm having a littl difficulty matching the curve at the stern but I'll get it.

Mark

Pictures always show places that need improvement :)

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 am

You're so right Mark, macro digital photography does allow us to see areas that need further attention and in that sense is a good tool, but I sometimes long for the pre digital age when ignorance was bliss and 18" was close enough x4x

M

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:34 pm

So I'm working on railings and had another look at the ladder/platform combination pieces of PE that were bedeviling me last September and think I have figured out the problem (at least for me). The platform connects with the ladder through a single thin stub of brass which breaks with about 1.5 movements. I'm thinking of backing this joint with a piece of clear tape to hold it together long enough to get it installed. Does that make sense to the assembled wisdom of the Admirals of the Fleet?

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi Mark,
Can you post a picture of the guilty item along with a picture of where and how it fits to the model?
Rob.

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm

OK, here is a picture from the instruction booklet showing two of these ladders that have platforms or landings at the top. The piece I have been fighting has been the upper ladder of the two shown. I've tried bending two of them (luckily I have spares) and each time they broke almost immediately in the same places. It seems like I will have to glue them back together before installing.

I thought that some paint might hold the piece together but I had the same result.

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi Mark,
To avoid this type of problem it would be worthwhile annealing the part over a flame, I use the gas cooker. It only requires a moment in the flame for the colour to change to orange / blue (Called straw) then remove and allow to cool. Try it with a bit of spare fret frame first to practice the length of time required and what the metal feels like once cooled, it should be a lot softer.
As for your damaged ladder I would assemble it on the model a piece at a time using PVA, gives plenty of adjustment time. Start with the platform and add the ladders once it has set. Can you support the model on its side to make this easier? If not you may have to use a support under the platform till the glue sets
Let us know how you get on,
Rob.

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Work is still suspended on Olympia. I have a contract on my house and am negotiating to rent another house. The next month will be a busy one with packing and moving. I will also need to consider cat/dog protection for my models once my gf moves in with me.

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Well, sold the house and rented a house and both Olympia and Victory moved without damage! It has been a busy month. Now to unpack stuff and find everything again!

Mark

Return to “Mark's USS Olympia build”