USS Olympia, Protected Cruiser

Mark builds the re-issued Revell kit, complete with wooden decks and etched brass goodies!

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

MAP
Midshipman

Re: USS Olympia, Protected Cruiser

Post by MAP » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks, Pete, Olympia is a beautiful ship and I'm trying to do her justice. I'm learning new techniques as I go as I hoped and I'm sure by the time I am done, I will see all the things that are not quite right and will wish to start all over. But I think once Olympia is done, I will be ready to go onto my HMS Hood, feeling much more confident about working with all the new modeling materials like PE brass, resin, and wooden decks. I may even pull Victory out of its makeshift case.

Mark

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Latest pictures, I still need to finish the funnels, I need to redo the foot rails on both of them. It has been quite an adventure learning how to cut, bend, paint, and attach little tiny brass parts. Pretty soon it will be time to tackle the railings and ladders.

Mark

Last edited by MAP on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Hello Mark,

I'm thinking ahead here, I am going to get a perspex cover for my Pegasus sufficient to protect the hull whilst I get on with the masts etc.

I would rather like it to double up for a cover for the Olympia when I get around to it, length and width are no problem but I need the overall height of the Olympia including the masts so it will subsequently fit that model.

Are you able to give the dimensions?

Regards,

Maurice

ps: your pics have disappeared.

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 am

Hmmm, I'm not sure why you can't see the pictures, the photos are still on photobucket. Here are some updated pictures. Let me know if you can't see these pictures. Height from keel to top of the masts is approximately 8 inches without the brass standoffs and wooden base.

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks Mark, the photos are back, and she's looking very smart.

Every time I look at your build I am tempted into making a start, but I must resist and stick with Pegasus.

Regards,

Maurice

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 pm

I am trying really hard to finish this ship before getting sucked into another. I am bound and determined to finish this model, over the last 30 years I have started several models and ended up being distracted by work/family stuff and not completing them, including a 1930's Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, a 1957 Chevy Belaire, and a wood ship model whose name escapes me. I think the last model I completed was my only wooden ship adventure, a 24" Viking boat back in about 1983. After this model, it is back to Victory for awhile and then maybe Hood.

Mark

Force9
Captain

Post by Force9 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:32 am

I built this kit in my youth and am looking forward to giving it another go in the near future... I too am hoping to actually FINISH a build before starting another... Old Ironsides beckons...

Thanks for sharing your progress!

Evan
Cheers
Evan Gale

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:19 pm

I am struggling with whether I should place 4 boats on davits along the ship's sides as shown on the instructions. From an aesthetic view, the boats add a lot of clutter and take away from the lines of the ship. Period pictures of Olympia show her in static poses with boats rigged on the davits. But I would think that if the ship is at sea that you wouldn't want those boats swinging about and if you need to get a boat over the side you could get one off the boat storage racks and onto the davits for use.

There doesn't appear to be any space left on the boat racks for the 4 boats that the kits shows on davits. So I am wondering if the kit designers knew how many boats were on the ship and saw pictures of Olympia with boats and davits but didn't think through that these boats probably came off the racks for use while in port. Leaving the modeler with 4 extra boats. I suppose it is quite possible that boats were stacked, allowing for storing more than the 8 large boats on the racks.

I am also looking at the rear davits which include some really heavy supporting structures that go from the davits to the superstructure across the main deck at about the height of man's chest. My thought on these is that they may have only been in place when in port, at sea they would have been removed. And certainly, they would have been struck during combat as they interfere with the field of fire of the rear most casement guns. So I'm thinking of omitting the davits and supports completely.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mark

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about Olympia yet, but I have been gathering as many links to the ship and models of it as I can.

http://www.fineartmodels.com/fineartmod ... ympia.html

The above link has many fine shots of a 1:96 scale model, including details of the boats, you will note that some of the smaller boats are in fact nested, as you thought they might be. This would solve your problem if you don't want the boats outboard on the model.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... 6364&st=40

This link has good photos of the actual ship and a Museum model of her.

You may of course be already aware of these links, in which case I am not helping much, but it's the best I can provide at the moment.

Regards,

Maurice

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks, Maurice, I was familiar with the BritModeler kit review build, he did a great job building Olympia from the kit and I had seen a couple of pics from the other model but didn't know where they came from. As usual, the big issue with plastic kits is oversize parts, I think the braces for the after davits should be a half to a third of the size that the plastic parts are. I will keep thinking about that and maybe I can make some better scale braces out of wire.

Mark

rtwpsom2
Midshipman

Post by rtwpsom2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:04 pm

If you guys like Olympia, I will share a secret a friend of mine taught me about. If you go to the Library of Congress website and do a search for a subject and add the search string "glass negative" you will turn up some rather interesting results. In the case of ships you need to use the abbreviation "U.S.S." instead of "USS" or you won't find much. Here is the search for "U.S.S. Olympia glass negative". On the first result page you will find a nice image of her figurehead. You can "click larger" to see a slightly larger thumbnail, but underneath the picture there are three other options. I suggest clicking on the third [TIFF(22.9mb)]. The LOC has scanned thousands of glass plates and posted them on their website and the detail from them is absolutely phenomenal. I must warn you though, I have seen files as larger as 160mb's and only a good computer with lots of memory can even open the ones that big. Not all pictures are that big though, some don't get bigger than thumbnails. But there are a few good shots of Olympia, especially of her as built figurehead.

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Great pictures of Olympia! Of course, mostly at anchor. There weren't too many combat photographers in 1898 :)

The large format files have some great detail when you zoom in.

Mark

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:38 pm

I think I just found the answer to my questions on Olympia's boats in Adm Dewey's after action report. He lists damages to Olympia as consisting of:

(1) Plate indented 1 1/2 inches starboard side of superstructure just forward of second 5-inch sponson.
(2) Three planks torn up slightly in wake of forward turret on starboard side of forecastle.(3) Port after shrouds of fore and main rigging.
(4) Strongback of gig's davits hit and slightly damaged.
(5) Hole in frame of ship between frames 65 and 66 on starboard side below main deck rail; made by a 6-pounder.
(6) Lashing of port whaleboat davit carried away by shot.
(7) One of the rail stanchions carried away outside of port gangway.
(8) Hull of ship indented on starboard side 1 foot below main-deck rail and 3 feet abaft No. 4 coal port.

At a minimum, the whaleboat davits were in place, and probably the whaleboats as well.

Mark

MAP
Midshipman

Post by MAP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:51 pm

A couple update photos:

I find the ships lines from the aft quarter to be very pleasing to the eyes. This shows the boats rigged to the davits now. All the stock kit parts have been installed now. I'm still working on the foot rails on the funnels and starting to bend ladders.

Nice shot from the bow looking aft showing some of the PE ladders in place.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Very, very tasty Mark, I'm loving this build!
Thanks for the pictures.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Return to “Mark's USS Olympia build”