I'm Beginning To See the Light

Mark builds the re-issued Revell kit, complete with wooden decks and etched brass goodies!

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

MAP
Midshipman

I'm Beginning To See the Light

Post by MAP » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 pm

I have dug out my Olympia and tools post-move and tried annealing the brass etched parts. I took one of the acommodation ladders that I don't plan to use, heated it up over my alcohol lamp, and saw it very quickly turn to red. I let it cool and then using a couple razor blades made all the necessary bends without anything breaking. It was even soft enough to do some adjustments without breaking. I found I did have to be more careful with the steps because they would tend to bend in the middle when bent. But what a difference it made, so much easier to work the parts. Once I get some more quiet time, I will set up and try to get some more work done.

Thanks, Rob!

Mark

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Re: I'm Beginning To See the Light

Post by chrism » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Rob told me of this little trick last year - and it has really helped me start to get etch on and fitting at the right angle...

any other tips to pass on EtchmeisterRob..

Rob

Re: I'm Beginning To See the Light

Post by Rob » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks Mark and Chris I'm glad I could help.

As for any more advice on etch it would be patience and PVA glue!

I did make a small tool for bending runs of railing to shape you may find useful which consists of a strip of 1mm thick Evergreen strip with a slot cut in the end with a photo etched saw blade deep enough to fit over the railing. Glue a length of railing to the deck and ensure it is secure. Slip the "tool" over the rail where you want a bend and, well bend it! Glue this new run to the deck ....and so on.

Rob.

Return to “Mark's USS Olympia build”