Victory is in the offing . . . .

Our very own "Chris M" Tackles A Craftsmens Card Model Of HMS Victory:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Victory is in the offing . . . .

Post by chrism » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am

The houshold admiraly board have given me permission to set sail with a new venture.

Setting sail will not in all probability occur for a few years; so probably more accurately, I am about to go into dry dock with a new build.

Some of you know that I have notched up one Vic – a wooden pob kit from Mantua was the core of the model. I did as some of you know abandon most of the original kit when it came to deck fittings and made my own from strip wood. Everything was going semi fine till the masting stage, when the model grew somewhat in size and stature.

At that time the Admiral announced it probably ought to go as it was taking up too much space in our home. When a few weeks later I got as far as adding spars and it grew even wider . . . that was it – it definitely had to go.

Eventually when it was finished a few months later, some friends took ownership and now have it on loan. Then we decided to sell our home. We have sold it, and when we get a new home it will have space to display a Vic . . .

That kit was far from accurate and at the end, and I vowed I would make another. To humour the admiral I was considering a smaller 1:175'ish pob kit, but it did somewhat lack in detail and I do want to try and go the extra mile with this second kit which at a smaller scale may be possible but will be testing on the eyes. I do have it in one of the boxes we have packed up in storage.

To compound my current ability to have enough space in which to model . . . we are still calling ourselves homeless – we sold our home some 9 months ago and are still looking for the next one to buy; meanwhile we are lodging with family. Conditions are cramped, most of our possessions are boxed up but despite this, I now need something to do.

Hence the family suggested I do some modelling again – but don’t do anything too big – or if I do something big - work over the next few months on little bits towards it.

So another Vic is now in the offing – and I will shortly post some photos on here and give you all a quick taste of what I am in for.

It is not a POB wood kit this time, but it is going to be fully painted, and will be at 1:96/1:100 scale.

I have now got a picassa photo account set up and transferred some initial photos into it, and will post them on here shortly once I get access to the computer again. (and I have re-read the photo posting log again)

Old CWO
Midshipman

Re: Victory is in the offing . . . .

Post by Old CWO » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm

Chris,
The impact of moving/buying/selling homes can be trying. 20 years of naval service had me moving around a good bit. Glad you'll be able to start back at it - that's why I got started back while waiting the last half year or so until I can break ground on the RR.
WR,
Ed

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Re: Victory is in the offing . . . .

Post by chrism » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Cheers Ed. I need something to keep me out of mischief now the autumn dark nights approach. I've done duty past weeks on decorating and diy and exterior painting that needed doing...

Return to “Chris's card-craft HMS Victory”