Scissors, Paper, Victory - 01 : Intro to the kit

Our very own "Chris M" Tackles A Craftsmens Card Model Of HMS Victory:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Scissors, Paper, Victory - 01 : Intro to the kit

Post by chrism » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 am

My new build of Victory will be based on a card kit, manufactured in Poland, and it makes up to 1:96ish scale. It is incredibly detailed.

It comes in an A3 book form, and everything is printed either on thin paper or thin card, and then all the different parts have to be laminated on to other card cut out and made upto requisite thicknesses,

The parts can either be cut out in one go from card of 1mm or 2mm or whatever thickness is appropriate to the part, or else built up in layers. I am going to be trialling both methods as I start work on the bulkheads to form the hull; and also some of the gun carriages.

As for gun barrels they all have to be made, and they consist of 7 parts each.

If I want to add rings etc then that is an extra task I give myself. (note to self: another 100 eyelets needed…) 3 sizes of guns/carriages are included, plus carronades, there are not as many guns as I want, so it will be a simple enough task to scan/copy the parts to make the extra two. There are even printed parts for deadeyes and blocks. . . .

I have a lot of work just to make up all the parts for the hull frame – typically each of the 20 bulkheads needs to be 2mm thick – that equates to 4 thickness of Kelloggs cornflake packet or Clarks green shoe box.. In addition to the bulkheads there are vertical and horizontal stiffeners and supporting pieces. Over 50 parts in all; all of which need cutting very carefully and accurately so that the slots in them all align correctly. I am busy encouraging everyone to eat plenty cereal and also visiting shoe shops to scrounge boxes. . .

When we get further along . . . .there are buckets to make, lanterns, 3 sizes of deadeyes and numerous sizes of blocks. Nowhere enough blocks mind, if I did choose to make and use them, but I am sure they could be adapted and other sizes easily configured with a little effort on the computer into other sizes. All the guns have carriages, and the simplest of carriages on lower two decks have 7 printed parts.

The plans are mostly pictures, and basically you work in number order with the parts and it makes up in a logical sequence – which is fine except I will have to make a few modifications (like others who I have followed building this kit before me) otherwise once the long foredeck/quarterdeck piece is in place I will not be able to get down to rig guns in waist . . . (that old thorny problem with most Pob wood kits. . . )

I enclose a selection of photos of what is in the kit; Hopefully the printed parts I show should be fairly self explanatory.

I am hoping to use as many of the kit supplied parts as a basis to build the model from. I also have made the decision that if possible I am not going to use commercially available components for ladders, gratings, anchors etc on this build, and will build from the templates/card parts supplied. This is probably as close as I am ever likely to get too a scratch build. I would like to try and make the kit supplied deadeyes as they are at 4.5; 3 and 2mm so they are pretty accurate. Rigging blocks however may turn out to be one aspect that I concede over.

It is certainly not going to be a “quick build” as I have got to make and fabricate all the parts. I hope to use card where possible, but for strength in some areas such as channels and the tops may include a layer of plasticard as those areas will take some tension and strain once the rigging is underway.

A supersized shopping list/order for eyelets and tubing is in progress, and the more I read of the modifications which Maurice and Rob made the more the shopping list grows.

The only wood I am planning to use will be on the decks and am thinking in terms of 2mm wide veneer. Shame they don’t do it in 2.5! I used 3mm on my previous build and it was borderline on being to scale.

I have seen a few other people build this kit on different forums, and in one case it has been converted beautifully to a pre-trafalgar configuration and had lights installed.

this first photo shows one of the bulkhead pieces and the main piece for some gun barrels.

seven ships boats are included - here is just one part of each

making all these gun carriages is going to take quite a while

these are the parts to make up for rigging blocks . . . . .

the instructions are basically just printed plans with reference to the part number and thickness to make parts upto

Please dont expect quick progress. . . . my first efforts with a gun carriage and a bulkhead or two will follow in a day or two. At least if I envisage getting into problems with the kit parts I can at least make copies before I use the supplied pieces.

Maurice Wilcox

Re: Scissors, Paper, Victory - 01 : Intro to the kit

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:51 am

A card Victory, that will be a first on the forum, and from ones I've seen elsewhere they make up into superb models, I look forward to your progress Chris.

ps: I know a good online supplier of No.11 Swann Morton scalpel blades, I would imagine you could get thro' quite a few of those on a card build.

I buy mine in boxes of 100, a fair bit cheaper than sourcing them from model suppliers. :D

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Details re blades would be useful please. If you can let me have details along with the other sundrysupplies list that will be fine thanks.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Wow looks like a ton of work Chris but as Maurice says the results can be stunning. This should be a good project to work on in your current digs as there should be little to no solvent aromas and cutting out all those bits shouldn’t take up much room.

Have you seen the log on Model Ship World for the Fuso in cardboard? I know wrong era but what the modeller has achieved in this medium is mind blowing and with the most basic of tools. http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewto ... light=fuso

Do keep the post coming I will be following with interest.

Rob.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm

chrism wrote:Details re blades would be useful please. If you can let me have details along with the other sundrysupplies list that will be fine thanks.
Yes Maurice, I would like to see a picture of one of your blades to see if they are compatible with my Tamiya ones!!!
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Here's the link to scalpel blade suppliers I have used.

http://www.trycare.co.uk/chiropodists/s ... asp?ID=470

http://www.scalpelsandblades.co.uk/index.php

The No 11 blade that I most commonly use fits in a No 3 Swann Morton handle.

Maurice

ps. Minor surgical procedures a speciality x7x

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for info on blades Maurice. As for surgical procedures with them - it has been a while since I inflicted a visit to A&E on myself with efforts from a modelling knife . . .

Rob - the main reason for choosing this kit over many others was its apparent accuracy, and scope to modify it if needed.

having got hang of photos now I will keep pictures coming when there is something to show.

Michael D
Captain

Post by Michael D » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:36 pm

Looks daunting as hell , but I'm sure you'll prevail Chris...Cheers.

Michael D.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks michael. I like a challenge and I have now got one. If I take it slowly stage by stage I am sure it will not be too bad. That said the mantua kit I fought against before was a real pig of a challenge.

Thomas E. Johnson
Able Seaman

Post by Thomas E. Johnson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 am

Card models require some very diffrent skills in addition to standard modeling skills. I don't have the patience to take on one. Good luck with this project and I hope you get the result your after.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks Thomas. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I am not anticipating calm waters as I build.
In fact any build of victory involves facing the eye of the storm somewhere enroute, for that modellers skills.

FIGHTS-ON
Landsman

Post by FIGHTS-ON » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 am

on a very recent wet day in August,i have started a 1/64 card model of a 74. I'm using the same source (Shipyard card models, poland) , scanned & scaled up. I have every intention of cheating and using papier-mâché (sp?) over the frame as "1st planking" and then use wood strips for 2nd planking. This isn't going to be a masterclass in card building, rather some genuine 'fun' modeling in a new medium for me.

I already have 2/3 of the framing & bulkheads put together (= a very rainy August!) and would be happy to start my build thread on this board in your excellent forum?

(Chrism - thanks for you PM, and prompt to this topic on this forum. Spent Thursday on HMS Dauntless, berthed right next to (but looking down on!) the real HMS Victory - who needs the internet for inspiration?)

Return to “Chris's card-craft HMS Victory”