Making the Guns

Our very own "Chris M" Tackles A Craftsmens Card Model Of HMS Victory:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Re: Making the Guns

Post by chrism » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks all input needed at moment. Those strips were cut freehand and varied from 1 to 1.5 mm width.
Didn't know about that tape. Will investigate.

Yes - they are a trial to make. However I have been told that the ones I am now making (Thu) are an improvement over those I did last weekend. And that for the admiral and the junior officer is about as high praise or as near to a compliment as I can expect.

Michael D
Captain

Post by Michael D » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Chris,
That looks tedious as all hell, my approach would be to machine up a tapered dowel, one for each size barrel, apply some wax to make it easier to remove,and wrap the paper around that, once the seam is glued,(a slight overlap needed to prevent from gluing it to the dowel, and blend the seam with some filler before the next step) and with the dowel still in place,(to prevent squashing the barrel) wrap the necessary rings, and muzzle, the vinyl tape Maurice recommends sounds like the ticket, remove the whole mess, and install the the disks needed for the breech end. That sounds easy enough huh?.. x9x

Michael D.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 am

Yes Michael, it is quite a tedious process - but then so many different aspects of a large build as this do get repetitive and tedious at times in their own little way.

I am sure making the blocks for the rigging given the minute size of the pieces for them will be another chore when the time for them comes .... But it all adds to the overall charater and build.

As for making a wooden dowel to form around, thanks for the suggestion, and I am thinking along those lines. Whilst I dont have lathe etc to turn wood in, an acceptable compromise appears to be to wind tape around a piece of dowel to thicken it up. The difference is quite small from one end to the other so a few winds round with tape soon give an extra 1mm thickness. If I use traditional sellotape for this rather than masking tape I might not have glue problems as sellotape has a top surface that does not seem to like most paper glues.

Return to “Chris's card-craft HMS Victory”