What decision or indecision I am facing . . .

Our very own "Chris M" Tackles A Craftsmens Card Model Of HMS Victory:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

What decision or indecision I am facing . . .

Post by chrism » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:32 am

I will keep this post topic purely for those items which I am looking ahead too, and which I am facing indecision and vagueness over.

Today there are 2 topics of comment.

Deck planking: Ideally at this scale I ought to be using 2.5mm wide wood. However wood is available in 2mm and 3mm. I am not upto getting 5mm and halving it. I have tried this in past and with the quantity involved (50metres+) it is a non-starter.

So – I have contacted and visited a number of suppliers nearby – even Westbourne Models (it made a day out. . .. ).

In many cases the 2mm, in the shops that have it, is a very dark walnut, and at 41pence a strip I am loathe to spend £25 on such wood +postage at £6 from a supplier on a mail order basis only to find it is all the wrong shade . . . I really want to see it before buy it – as I like to try and do with all my wood.

my previous Vic was planked with a light golden 3mm wide walnut which when down and vaarnished had a look of near oak type to it. This is the overall effect I am after again.

So my mind then thought . . . shred a brown envelope and lay it down in plank fashion so that is what I tried. However my shredder like many others makes 3mm strips – so if I am going to use them one one hand I might as well buy 3mm wood – of which I would only need say 35-38 metres and I know I can get in a light golden/oak type colour at 22p a strip.

But on the other hand - using paper or card would be in-keeping with the model. (the supplied deck pieces are printed too yellow a colour and they look too precise with dots for the treenail showing on each plank and a heavy thick line between them for the caulking).

This photo is of 3mm strips from an envelope laid onto a piece of black paper

However . . . if I was going to remain loyal to a card model and use paper for the deck - the brown envelope would need to be a thicker envelope card or brown wrapping paper so I could butt the pieces up better.

Any thoughts or ideas on what to do with the decking would be welcomed.

Blackening the bulkeads. your thoughts on whether to darken the bulkheads in the areas where they are on the lower gundecks would be welcomed . Again – this is something I did with my earlier vic as that was rough plywood.
This time I have a nice creamy/ivory/off-white mounting board colour, and I am undecided what to do.

If I am going to darken them – now is the time to do it when they are under construction. Yet my inclination is to possibly leave them alone this time.

Some models I see with these areas blackened, and others leave them light white colour. Once the barrels are out the holes I doubt there is going to be much scope – certainly through the gunports to see into the model. There is a 4mm red rebate for the port lining to be added then the gun barrel and about 2mm of the yellow carriage below the barrel is I guesstimate likely to be visible and then the barrel should fill most of the hole.

Michael D
Captain

Re: What decision or indecision I am facing . . .

Post by Michael D » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Chris,
Personally I think it would be perfectly ok to deviate away from paper in this case, and definitely use wood for the decking.

Michael D.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:09 pm

A couple of thoughts on this Chris.

The internal structures in white, would it be possible to leave a hanging knee shape at the side of each port while blackening out the rest of the area?

How easy is it to obtain oak veneer? It would be easy to cut in to strips of the required width and it wouldn’t add much to the thickness of the deck, be aesthetically pleasing as well.

Rob.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:08 pm

What a superb idea Rob. Just been looking at photos on the real thing and it would be quite easy to paint an area White to represent internal structure and paint out the rest black. It will add a few hours to build time of bulkheads as I will paint them all before assembling. Maybe make a few dozen extra buckets and a lantern or two and hang a few of them from ceiling near some of the cannon too.

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Here's the link to my veneer and boxwood strip supplier Chris, I used the boxwood 2.7mm x 0.6mm to plank the deck on my Pickle.

http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/cate ... ging_1.htm

50 metres would cost you delivered about £25.00, but the delivery charge element is £10.95 per consignment (up to 25kg) - so it pays to order all you want in one go.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks for that linkMaurice. Ouch those delivery charges are steepish. Shame they Are not on a slightly more sliding scale but everyone charges a lot to post wood out.

Michael you are right -a wood finish on deck is really what I should aim for. I did say at the Start that I was not going to use wood in build other than for on the deck planks. So I will stick to that and use some sort of wood.

Old CWO
Midshipman

Post by Old CWO » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Chris,
Have you given any thought to using printed card stock for your decking? Using computer software, you should be able to build up a montage of deck planking and can readily scale it on a printer. It also offers the advantage of being able to manipulate the color to your liking. Print onto heavy paper (like your brown envelope material) or even something a bit heavier like manila folders. That approach might give you quite a bit of freedom to achieve a desired look while keeping more closely with the spirit of the paper kit.

BTW, I suspect the lack of response to some of your other posts here is that most of us are a bit astounded. I was amazed by the cannon carriages. The whole idea of a paper/cardstock kit still has my jaw hanging open. Pretty cool so far.
WR,
Ed

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Ed the thing with cutting my own paper is that my shredder gives 3 mm strips and i cannot accurately and consistently cut into 2 mm for the quantity I need 60 metres....

As for card modelling it is mind blowing what can be achieved. Some of the best card models come from Polish and Checkz model makers. The detail they achieve is mindbliwing. If you thought that carriage was good you will be amazed when I show the gratings and uppr deck cannon ie the display ones as they have all their wheels wedges chocks etc and are made from over 15 parts each

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Derek was toying around with the idea of printed deck planking for the lower decks on the Heller Victory.

I can't seem to find his post now but in any case the photos would probably be missing.

I do have a copy of his preliminary scheme photo:

As the Chief says it is one option, and would certainly be in keeping with the kit style, perhaps for the lower decks, or even for what's on view in the waist

Old CWO
Midshipman

Post by Old CWO » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Chris,
Maurice knew what I meant to say and clarified my idea (thank you, Maurice). I meant application in whole sheets (of card stock) printed with the deck planking, not cut into individual sheets. His attached photos could be a starting point for a copy/paste exercise to be able to print up full sheets of decking material - sort of like what others have been doing with the black-and-white tile flooring on the Victory builds. Also, as mentioned, you can scale the printing to come up with the exact board width desired. Another potential image source would be one of the popular "dream house" design programs that have all different colors and patterns of flooring material, not to mention web sites selling marine deck materials.

Sorry I didn't describe it better in my first post.
WR,
Ed

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm with you now. I am not the most technical of people on the computer but the elder of my junior officers can do all clever things with photos and pictures. I will have words with him at weekend. Have to try and get a laminate flooring catalogue I guess as a starting point then scan it. (that I know how to do)

I had in my mind that my flooring would all be laid planks. I had never even considered creating a Wood floor image on computer.

I have spent my prctical modelling time tonight on making the four prototype bulkheads I made, up into a small test section to try and see what if anything I can see through the hole when that one dummy cannon I made is poking out hole. Answer. Not much other than the colour of the board section of the bulkhead. So that was appreciated suggestion and advice Maurice. You saved me a lengthy paint job. I will however blacken things up on the bulkheads now.

I might as well abandon those grand ideas and visions of capstans and stoves ..... Save my efforts for the rear cabins as they will be glazed windows and have the lino along with a table and chairs etc in there

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:37 am

Hy Chrism,

if you are recreating the floor than you have the chance to recreate a more correct planck sceme.

Here is a copy of the 3 Butt Shift and the 4 Butt Shift with the typical jumping of the butts.

The aim behind it is to have the butts as much "spread" as possible

Cheers Daniel
Last edited by dafi on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 am

Thanks for the information Daniel. I do intend to go with a 75mm plank length when I get that far purposely to do this. Then I can have 15mm delineations in the shifting. At this scale that looks quite pleasing

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 pm

The decision over the deck wood has now been made.

It will be 2mm for the bulk of the deck areas.
but I was thinking of using 3mm for the king plank and 6mm for the waterway.

However if I am about to do something stupid with that approach please speak up someone.

I am going for lime which will be matured before it is laid and while still in long lengths
with an infusion of earl grey tea

I now just need to get everyone else out of way for a day ..... So I can let it have a dip in bath.....

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Having started the framing of the gun ports - my mind starts thinking to the doorway/entry port.....

Should I frame that also with red, or would that have been white, maybe even yellow or do I just use black on that one?

What has anyone else done please..... .. Or what would you do now if the opportunity arose to change it.

I have put a little planking wood down on the decking part at that point, but just wondered what I ought to do around that opening.

Return to “Chris's card-craft HMS Victory”