Building the Hull

Our very own "Chris M" Tackles A Craftsmens Card Model Of HMS Victory:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Re: Building the Hull

Post by chrism » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am

Well at last I am able to report on a little progress on the actual hull.

After that disasterous start with the lime planking, I then tried some 2mm walnut which was also too dark, so that too was ripped up, and then I went with some 3mm which is much lighter.

So, third try lucky as it were and the deck planking went on and looked Ok so that passed quality approval as it were. The said piece of deck were then just varnished with Ronseal water based and is now installed and fixed. (No sanding sealer on decks for me). In these photos the deck looks (and is) sitting too high. That was fixed (as it were!) when it was glued in.

I have also now got the lower sill of the port framing for the two lower gun decks in place and fixed.

I am now going to install the gun ports in the manner the kit instructions (glorified title for what they really are!) suggest.

The suggested manner is to install “runners” in the bulkheads and then at a much later stage add some left/right side pieces. I am going to add my side pieces when I install the first later of plating to the hull.

There is a reason why only the lower bottom pieces of framing are yet installed. I need the rest of the space (height wise) to get the gun carriages into place, whilst I need the bottom part in place so that I know where to butt the carriage upto to get it as far forward as practical.

Next jobs now are painting and installing the lower two deck gun carriages, I had hoped to get away with just a quick lick of paint on the edges ….. however my yellow ochre is a much duller colour than the printed card parts supplied … So a fun filled afternoon of painting awaits.

Installing the gun carriages is going to be interesting as the instructions or even the parts of kit supplied give no indication where on each l gun deck the respective guns fit. It appears that I will have to cut out all the framing parts, and all the respective gun port holes, hold those against the hull and make a mark on hull where the port comes .

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:12 am

Now is time for me to introduce you to three of the workers in the boatyard.

Firstly there is Mr Grimshaw the Works Inspector who is currently up there treading the boards on the newly laid deck. He currently has two colleagues – Charlie (slight disability in my favour!) and Albert.

When I first met Charlie – who is checking out the head height on of the lower decks – I found he had already lost his right hand! - Sad for him but helpful for me as he is halfway there in a starring role on board ship later once he has visited the wardrobe department.

Albert is the only worker in the foundry – and he has to do all the jobs there himself – including stoking coal into the fire. In a future life he hopes one day to become gun crew, and feels that the pose he can adopt with his shovel would equip him for handling the gun crew ramming wad

The vital statistics of these three are 17mm and plastic so they are ideal for this scale. They have all been on the happy juice as they are all unable to stand on their own little feet without some additional assistance... I was given these three as they had got misplaced and presumably fallen out of packets as they had fallen down back of a display stand! and have in fact also lost quite a lot of their paint and in one case a hand!

I am trying to trace their ancestry and see if they have any other fellow colleagues or friends.

This last photo shows the three of them along with an Amati 25mm white metal officer.

Mr Grimshaw and Charlie will appear from time to time to check on quality and progress and be used as scale checks
Last edited by chrism on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Cracking post Chris!
I really like your deck planking and before Daniel says anything, I must congratulate you on your butt shifts!!!!
I really liked meeting your crew, I find that posing my white metal figures on deck help to give me an insight into
the space and conditions aboard a small frigate and I have to say that they seem to give a "sterile" vessel some "life"...
I think that your Victory is coming along very well and that you must be pleased with your build so far.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 pm

The deck planking is looking good Chris, with a nice camber.

Those card models surely do look intricate to me, I don't know that I would have the patience to tackle one, but you seem to be doing a fine job thus far x25x

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:20 pm

I have to agree Chris looking excellent.
Say hello to the lads for me.
Rob.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks for the support gents. As I am already learning and finding out a card model does require a different approach and demands a lot more attention and patience at times than a wooden one.

I am trying to crack on this week as it were - the admiral and most of the rest of household are away (I'll be off to join them at end of week ...) so I am as it were making hay while the sun shines.

It means I can leave things like a scalpel or two and little parts ... that otherwise have to be tidied up, and kept out of inquisitive little hands - lying around.

After this I will be busy for a few weeks on some secret projects - all with a deadline of 24 Dec!

Hence after this week my model will be on hold until January!

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 pm

I had hoped to have made a lot more progress this past week, before the pre-Christmas lay-off. I was hoping to show you all the gunports all now painted and in place, and all of the lower hull plating fixed and in place..

The gun carriages for lower decks have all been painted, and some are now firmly installed. If I had realised earlier just how little of them was going to be visible I need not have painstakingly cut out the stepped edge at the rear of them as you cannot see that!

Before I could fix the gun carriages down, I had to individually work out where each one had to be positioned so that it poked out through the respective port. That entailed cutting out the side pieces, and holding each one up, and marking roughly where it would be, putting the guns in, with slow curing glue and then adjusting and fine tuning the position as necessary by poking and nudging with a paintbrush to get them exactly where I needed. x4x

This week I also had one of those “thinking well ahead” moments and as a result have gone off at a tangent and decided to add packing material to the hull in the area between the top/bottom of the gunport frame and the respective area of deck above and below. The reason for adding this is that one day I will be trying to fix channels, chains and various other items into the hull, and when I do I like to have some meat into which to drill and fix. Like Pete, I too (did it before and will do it this time) will add some wire lugs into the back side of my channels this then ensures they have a firm hold into the hull. Equally there will be pins for fixing all the preventer plates, and a few tie off points for eyepins etc.

So this addition/detour has slowed me down a bit.

One of the photos shows some pieces of “stuff” which is that card that has a foam/polystyrene type inner – a card equivalent to lite-ply the plywood with balsa sandwiched in it.

With hindsight it probably was not necessary down on lower deck, but adding it is just giving a little more stability to hull. Which is not going to be overly thick otherwise when plating layers go on.

By comparison to a wooden kit, the first plating later on this kit is quite thin. Where you would on a model this size have 1.5mm thick stuff first off, followed by second planking of maybe 1mm – which is what my previous mantua kit did. Here with this kit I am adding paper that is in the 180-200 gsm range. Thick paper/thin card – the sort of thickness you get to feed into the printer at home. After this, the second layer is thicker and is similar thickness printed parts laminated upto 1mm – ie onto a cereal box. It is quite sturdy, however it will not take too much abuse or rough handling by little hands.

It is also becoming apparent that there is not the same tolerance or allowance with a card kit for being “out” and making adjustments here and there to compensate that there is with a wood kit. (that is said – if you want to try and make the finished goods look respectable).

However I am very pleased with progress overall and am probably a convert to card now instead of wood. To extent that I am considering ordering another kit or two in next week or so. So there likely will be another card build in future Pete!! (think 3rd and 6th rates)

Plus adding the gunport left and right side pieces to the hull side parts has taken an eternity.. After adding each pair I have had to offer the piece up to the hull to check the alignment. The parts are gently curved and the ports are not all set/cut straight in a line on the part, and consequently when the part is shaped and fixed to the hull it adopts the camber and then sits in line as it should if that makes sense!

As it is, all the gun port linings have now been added to the respective hull sides – one of the photos shows them for the lower deck – but the rest are much the same! Just a tad smaller as they go up. They all now just need painting, coaxing back into place and final fixing.

Each pair are unique and they all have a slightly different camber and shape, and sit slightly differently aligned on the inside of the side plates, but once they are in-place they are a snug fit and the gunports do take on the correct profile. If you position one on the wrong gunport when it is offered up to the hull, it just creates a gap and goes not sit correct. (I know – I learnt the hard way!!)

The kit numbering sequence did imply adding them much later when they would have to be carefully insered into the hull and there would be less room for access to assist them into place - a task I did not relish, having read of problems people have had adding little pieces of wood into their wooden Jotika kits for the same stage of build and pushing them into place only to lose some of them into hull!

I had also noted that many builders of this same card kit have handled gun ports at this stage, in similar manner to the way I am, or else framed each port much like the way Mr Gale has in his log here. The setback I forsaw with that approach for this model was that it would not be so easy to correctly position each gun carriage on lower two decks given that they have to be fixed in, before the hull side parts are fixed in.

I have also cut out all the parts for the lower underwater hull area. Some of these have just been temporarily added with sticky tape at moment so I could check and position gunports above. I need to go back and glue all those in place properly too.
Last edited by chrism on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Forgot to mention - there may be a little more to report this year - but not overly much. We did make good progress last week on our other projects, and we two are going back earlier than the rest mid-week, so as to continue our work in peace and at ease for a few more days.

I will be starting a retrospective log when I am back for the wooden Vic. I was looking back at photos of it myself last week and already I can see how this model is going to make up into something so very very different than that.

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:33 am

With gunports and gunport framing on lower and middle decks all fixed, the the first layer of plating was then applied.

This went on relatively easily, but I am glad I placed a thin strip of paper over the edge (width) of the card on the bulkheads and decks, as this helped to facilitate a more secure overlap and joint.

Using only The supplied parts would allow for a 0.5mm of plating piece to rest on the bulkhead or deck edge to secure the join.

Once this layer was all in place, I painted on a layer of glue. Once that had dried the hull took on an incredibly solid feel when it is handled.

the strip of card along the edge there is the first part of the keel - it is 1mm thick x 4mm wide. Later there is a further 4mm wide thickness of additional material applied for the final edge/depth of keel.

Around some of the gunports I will now need to do a little touching up with the red paint before the next layer (the yellow/black parts) are applied.

However, before I get onto that stage, there is a lot of work to do on the upper deck before the quarterdeck, waist sides and foredeck/focastle parts get added.

The gun carriages need cutting out, assembling, painting, rigging, and fixing, the inner hull bulwark sides need fitting and painting, plus some other deck fittings – ladders, gratings, hatch openings, bitts around the main mast, plus some shot racks which I am opting to also add for authenticity.

Hence there is now a lot of work to do off the model, (plus there is work on the special Christmas present projects to complete – and after an enthusiastic start by two of us, I feel the rest of the work will now be all left for me! )

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:46 pm

That looks real nifty Chris, she really is starting to take shape.
Damned Christmas getting in the way of a decent modelling project, bah humbug!
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 pm

You seem to be making excellent progress Chris, I wasn't expecting to see the hull covered just yet.

Presumably the impression of the ribs and bulkheads thro' the covering will address itself once additional layers are applied.

This is an interesting project to watch. :D

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

What has been applied there Maurice is exceedingly very thin material. The supplied card is probably around 170 gsm. It is certainly thinner than some card I purchased that can be fed through the printer. (Which I am using for the parts that I am copying up to duplicate etc).

I infact cut the parts out to shape but oversize by a mm or 3; and then offered each one up to the hull before glueing, so as to trim it up - and indoing that at times only trimmed off on one edge - hence the black lines of the parts.

5 thicknesses of the supplied card when laminated together with pritt-stick are coming upto 1mm overall.

What I have achieved is actually smooth overall, albeit you can feel where the joins are. With a layer of glue on top it has become quite taut - a bit like dope and aeroplane wings from my youth. (whether that was a mistake or not I am not sure - adding glue but it has made it all quite solid.

But I have studied a number of other successful builds at this stage and I look from their photos to be on a par with what they have achieved as well.

The next layer has to be laminated upto 1mm. So that equates to the supplied parts, + Kelloggs cereal packet +I shall use a layer of the card I have purchased. Then on upper hull there are the wales and other layers to add in places, and on lower hull I shall be doing something in respect of coppering - but not using the supplied pieces of paper. (What exactly I am not sure yet - that problem is still under review....)

Return to “Chris's card-craft HMS Victory”