Caldercraft Victory By Bob

A space for wooden/multi-media Victory modellers to log their builds:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Bob Langley
Captain

Caldercraft Victory By Bob

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:54 pm

I am about to start building my 1/72 scale wooden Victory. I intend to take my time and do this slowly, also i am building a plastic Heller 1/100th at the same time so please be patient with me if it seems slow going.

First thing you find when you open the box is a set of three manuals, one for the Hull, one for the masts and rigging, and one for the parts list names and numbers
these have been done in ring binder form so no losing pages all over the house lol.
Accompanying these are 18 massive plan sheets all drawn at the correct 1/72 scale.

I think i could wallpaper the bedroom these plans are so big x29x
Bob

Dennis
Captain

Re: Caldercraft Victory By Bob

Post by Dennis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Bob,

Looks like you are in it for the long haul. Have a great time with your builds. Looking forward to your posts.

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:14 pm

This is going to be good! x6x
I'm looking forward to following along.
Thanks for posting your build log for us to share, Bob.
By the way, what is the O/A length of the hull?
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:54 pm

@ Dennis, yes this is definitely a long haul job XXCXX

@ Pete, i am not sure of the exact overall hull length at the moment but it is roughly a metre long with the front stem and quarter gallery added.
The keel on it's own is 850 mm = 33 and 1/2 inches
and the overall model length is 1380 = just over 54 inches
so it looks like i am gonna need bigger house lol x9x

Bob
Bob

glenn46
Midshipman

Post by glenn46 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Hey Bob!
WOW!!! I am SO excited and happy for you. XXJFJXX I can't wait to see the progression posts and photos. I know that by the time you are finished that you will have a MASTERPIECE. XXOTXX

I'm seriously considering purchasing a wood kit of the HMS Victory, too. :) My dilemma is WHICH kit to purchase? It will be quite sometime before I purchase a wood kit, but I'm checking out various manufacturers. I've heard that some manufacturers are good and that some are not so good. I guess it's like anything else that one wants to purchase.

One source that really intrigues me is a kit available through De Agostini Model Space. You can purchase the full kit for $1199.99 or 6 monthly shipments for $199.99 or monthly shipments for $99.99. The latter would probably be the most feasible option for me due to living on a very restricted budget. FYI...here is a link to the site and description if you purchase the FULL kit all at once. http://shop.deagostiniusa.com/hms-victory-full-kit.html. I'm curious as to what you think.

How much research did you do before deciding to go with the Caldercraft Victory and what was/were the determining factor(s) that made you go with them? XXCXX

Take care, buddy, and GOOD LUCK! :)

x26x
Glenn
x6x

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:50 pm

I have seen some of the De Agostini build diary's and this looks like a great kit.
The Caldercraft kits are good quality too.
Unfortunately I subscribed to the Del Prado weekly part work some years back and that was pretty poor in both materials and accuracy. I gave up using their materials and plans and carried on using better materials and forums like this one and many books, to help me build a better more accurate ship. 10years on (with some lengthy breaks in between) I'm still plodding along with it.
Looking forward to following this build log.
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Glenn

I knew about the DeAgostini model before but i did not know that you could buy the kit outright. One thing that put me off it was that you are also paying for the magazine as well, which is ok if you want the magazine but if you don't then you end up paying twice the price for the kit. If you decide that the DeAgostini one is for you then there is the Official build log here
http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default. ... opics&f=17 it runs in issue by issue order and starts on page 2 of the post.

When choosing which one i wanted my main criteria was that the original language of the instructions was English, the reason for this was having previously built the Corel Victory Model i found that although the kit used top quality parts the instructions were as much use as the Heller Victory ones because a lot was lost in translation from Italian to English. This obviously limited my choice somewhat so i then trawled the web looking at build logs of the Caldercraft one, all seemed to agree that it was expensive compared to some of the other kits out there but the wood and fittings etc were top quality, a conclusion i now totally agree with now i have seen them. The kit fittings include Brass cannons and 7 plates of Brass Etched parts too all of which i will post photo's of as i get to them. The other reason for choosing it was as it is made in England i can call the manufacturer and speak to the people who actually designed it if i get a problem. And on their site the have all the build photo's

The next best one i found was the Panart Victory, this company is one of three that make wooden kits and now make them all in one factory the three are Panart. Mantua and Sergal.
I spoke to someone at https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk about the Panart Victory and he told me that he agreed about the Corel instructions but that the Panart ones were much better. Yes he sells the kit so he probably would say that anyway, but he also said that they have made their own Instructions in English, so you get the translated ones and their own English ones too. The only niggle i have about the Panart one is that in the photo's of it all the rigging is done in natural cord, not sure if that is what is supplied in the kit or just the way they did it, but it is a tiny niggle and can be sorted by buying some black rigging cord. It is almost as big as the Caldercraft one being 1:78 scale compared to the Caldercraft's 1:72 scale which equates to roughly 80mm difference but it is not as expensive.
It can be bought in the USA for around $700 compared to the $1200 for the Caldercraft Victory. You might be able to get the guy at https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk to sell you their own English instructions if you decide to get it.
So deciding which one to get in the end is a personal choice you can get some amazing ones cheaper but if the instructions are useless then you may end up with no model or a badly built model because of things lost in translation. Once you decide on any make of kit google for build logs of it they are most helpful in making a decision
Hope this helps coz i am off to glue some wood lol x25x

Bob
Last edited by Bob Langley on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

glenn46
Midshipman

Post by glenn46 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Bob,
WOW! Thank you so VERY much for your detailed response. I appreciate it more than you know. :text-thankyoublue:

Having never built a wooden ship model I tend to lean toward the DeAgostini model because of what you refer to as the 'magazine'. The sample that I saw appears to have detailed instructions and photos and best of all they are in English. I totally agree with you about the instructions being in English. But they need to be clear and concise and not have important instructions garbled or lost in translation.

As I mentioned before, I am quite a ways away from purchasing a Victory wood kit. I have MORE than enough of a challenge with the Heller kit. The instructions are pretty much horrible and as far as the rigging instructions they may as well have been printed in Japanese. They are of ZERO help to this newbie. XXOTXX

At this point I am not concerned with the rigging because I am just in the beginning stages of the build. There are so many modification that I want to make to the kit, including replacing parts with PE or scratch built components (in styrene and/or wood) PLUS I just ordered Daniel's resin portal entry and side steps, which will hopefully be here in a week or two. So yeah...no concerns at this time about rigging or modeling a wooden version of the Victory.

Have fun gluing some wood together, just don't glue any wood to yourself. x31x

Warmest regards,
Glenn
x26x

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:43 pm

The good thing about the DeAgostini one is you can buy it a bit at a time, but if you can save the purchase price over time then i would get the Caldrcraft one as they are the same price in total x2x
As for the Heller one if i had not bought all the etch plates and steps and canopy for it then it would have been in the bin a while ago. For a model costing what it does it is terrible imo. As it is, once i have built it i am going to give it to my grandson.

Bob
Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I decided to do a few stages at a time to save me climbing over stuff to get at the box all the time lol
First thing was to cut out the Keel, the Stem and the front Keelson from their respective ply sheets

Parts in the the ply sheets

Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Parts after they were cut out. I left my hand in shot to give an idea of the size

Instead of gluing them together now i am going to cut out more parts while i have the box out
Next is the bulkheads. some of these all look the same but one look at the parts manual and there is no chance of confusion. the parts manual show which ply sheet number has which bulkheads in them and the bulkhead ply sheets are also clearly marked 1 to 6

Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Bulkhead ply sheets clearly numbered

18 Bulkheads after cutting them out

Another shot with my hand, this one is the middle bulkhead were the hull will be widest

Bob

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Have you got the Keith Julier book in which he builds this one? The same writeup was also featured in Model boat magazine 10-year or more ago now as a 2-edition build.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:14 pm

No Chris i have no books at all x3x
Bob

chrism
Admiral Of The Green

Post by chrism » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:59 pm

The New Period Ship Handbook by Keith Julier - this is the cover of the book that covers that Victory build specifically. I don't endorse buying it from Amazon as I don't do internet buying - but am just using it to give you cover illustration.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-New-Period- ... 1854862332

Then there are the other useful suspects that we all on here refer to a lot - The AOTS (anatomy of the ship) Victory, and Longridge which are reasonably easy to both obtain and pretty essential material. Those are well covered in the books section on this forum.

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”