Re: Caldercraft Victory By Bob

Post by Capt-P » Thu May 01, 2014 9:27 am

Frank x27x

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Thu May 01, 2014 9:29 am

What a beast!

No, not you Frank, I mean the beauty you build!

XXXDAn
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 pm

At last i have got the top gun port patterns fitted in the correct position (I hope x3x writing this next bit for anyone else who may have the same problem) It took another 4 attempts to do them luckily i managed to remove them without doing any damage to the bulkhead risers this time, After pinning them in place for gluing they kept moving when i clamped them, till i found the problem which was right under my nose all the time (Usually is ain't it x7x ) The patterns have to follow the shape of the risers and the rest of the bulkheads too and although fitted in the correct position before gluing they were moving when glued and clamped, the reason was when being clamped they have to bend inwards to follow the risers this was the problem because obviously if they bend in they move. So i soaked them and then clamped them in position without glue for a few hours till they dried out, once dry they held the shape of the risers and the rest of the bulkheads. Then i glued and clamped them and they stayed where i put them, which was as near as i could get to where the instructions say they should be, The reason they have to be precise is later in the build there are inner patterns to fit and they must line up.
Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Mon May 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Just more pics of the patterns in place
Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Mon May 12, 2014 8:16 pm

This post is to let anyone building this kit after me know of a potential problem they might come across. Whilst i was fitting the main mast sleeves to the middle gun deck seen in the following photo.
I tried the fit with the dowel supplied for the masts. While i had it out i decide to check the fit of the bowsprit as it uses the same size dowel, lucky i did this now as the hole in the number 1 bulkhead is much to small to let the dowel fit through as is the gap in the two top bow support pieces. I was lucky enough to manage to open it all out so the dowel will fit through. Anyone else doing this kit will find it easier to do this if they do it before gluing number 1 bulkhead and the top bow supports into position
The resulting job is in the next picture, none of this will be seen once the hull is finished so there would be no way to do it later on in the build.
Bob

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Nice one Bob, well caught!
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Tue May 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks Pete, Only caught it by sheer luck and if i hadn't i would have been trying to open it out when it was like this

Bob

mdkboggle
Captain

Post by mdkboggle » Wed May 14, 2014 10:57 am

Glad you sorted this part of the build out ok Bob and the model is starting to take shape and looks real good XXBRXX .

However,I must point out at this stage for legal reasons that "No Woodworm was harmed in the building of this model",,,,so far x7x x7x

Well done sir XXBRXX XXBRXX

x777x

Tim

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Wed May 14, 2014 11:10 am

Cheers Tim. Yes all my woodworm are fully trained to avoid pins and blades and also they have all got their pva survival certificate x5x

Bob
Bob

Capt-P
Captain

Post by Capt-P » Mon May 19, 2014 9:14 pm

That looks the ticket Bob, looks like you will want plenty of ballast for this baby.

'Oh and watch out for my pet rat' he lives down the lower half. Have trained him to catch woodworm, so no need to get health and safety to check it out. x32x

Keep up the good pictures shipmate x25x

Frank x27x

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Tue May 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks Frank
Keep the rat away, it cost me a fortune to train my woodworm to only eat plastic Heller kits x5x x7x

All outer gun port patterns have now been fitted, just need to put some wood filler in the gaps and then sand it all smooth before commencing with the 1st planking of the hull
luckily the patterns have taken up half of it

Bob

Capt-P
Captain

Post by Capt-P » Tue May 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Now thats really taking shape, like the way this one builds up.

x777x XXBRXX

Frank x27x

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Tue May 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Starting to look like Victory Bob,presumably you checked the levels across the opposing ports at Upper deck/Quarterdeck levels, always gives a little buzz of satisfaction when that little bubble sits dead centre.

Do you intend to use filler blocks between the first few frames fore and aft below the patterns?

Maurice

Dennis
Captain

Post by Dennis » Tue May 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Looking good Bob. You'll have to move her to a proper workbench when that little table starts to creak.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Tue May 20, 2014 6:18 pm

@ Frank. Thanks mate, yes i like the use of the patterns instead of having to cut gun ports through the hull after planking and then hoping every one is correct

@ Maurice. Cheers mate. Yes i am happy to report the little bubble is right where it should be x25x if anything is out of whack it will show up when the time comes to fit the inner gun port patterns. still thinking about using fillers fore and aft never made them before but i suppose balsa is cheap so it doesn't matter if i mess a few up, which i undoubtably will x12x

@ Dennis. Cheers mate, that "little table" is a 3ft plank lying across the arms of one of those directors swivel chairs lol, only use it to make it easier to move about sometimes when taking pics, usually it's on my desk when :tools-hammerdrill: :tools-hammerdrill: :tools-hammerdrill: on it

Bob
Bob

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”