Caldercraft Victory By Bob

A space for wooden/multi-media Victory modellers to log their builds:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

mdkboggle
Captain

Re: Caldercraft Victory By Bob

Post by mdkboggle » Tue May 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Now THAT is a model of Victory,love it Bob.I bet your chuffed so far sir,i would be.
XXBRXX XXBRXX x777x

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks Tim, yes i am pleased with the way it is going at the moment (emphasis on AT THE MOMENT ) lol x12x
Not looking forward to the sanding session ahead though, loads of XXWFXX XXWFXX XXWFXX afterwards

Bob
Bob

mdkboggle
Captain

Post by mdkboggle » Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Bob
I was just wondering how will you get a smooth finish on the wood with all those nails in it?
I mean,wont they tear the sandpaper?
x1x
Tim

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Wed May 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Doesn't matter if it rips the sandpaper i used ripped nails x7x x7x x7x
Bob
Bob

mdkboggle
Captain

Post by mdkboggle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm

mmm its been a while from the last post by Bob on this build,,,,,
I wonder,,,,,
it cant be,,,,
no he cant have,,,,
Oit Bob,,,,,you cocked it up again and now hiding or have the Pirates got ya by the shorts? x7x x7x x7x
Come out,come out wherever you are,,, :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: XNUTSX
Tim

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:17 am

I took a break from it because i am at a stage that is boring and i need to be in the right mood so as not to mess up, been doing the Pearl for now :tools-hammerdrill:
Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:53 pm

While getting up the inclination to carry on with the hull i thought i would try some different methods of caulking the deck planks. I tried most of the methods i have seen on the various modelling sites but in the end i decided to try using very thin styrene sheets cut into strips to use as caulking. The final result came out pretty good. The only thing i am not happy about is the way the Maple planking has absorbed the Light Oak wood dye, so i might have to try another type of wood, don't really want to after cutting nearly a thousand planks to exactly the same size but the Maple grain looks bad once dyed.

Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:19 pm

I just fixed some old strips of Lime i had lying around to the other side of the wood i had previously planked but without caulking this time just to see how Lime looked once it was dyed Light Oak. There is about the same amount of variation in the way the Lime absorbs the dye but i think the grain itself looks a lot nicer, so i will order about 100 strips of 1mm x 4mm x 1000mm Lime and cut that into thousands of planks and see how it looks once caulked with the styrene

Bob

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Looks much better to my eye, Bob. x25x
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah Lime looks better to me to as far as the grain pattern goes. Going to get more Lime and use it with the styrene as caulking and go with that. Although with the Lime it looks like there is a small amount of caulking there even though the planks were just placed together. I will have to see what it looks like when i get the correct size Lime as the ones in the picture are much larger. The grain on the Maple looks like sporadic little raise blisters and virtually no grain in some places (even on the same plank) so once sanded down flat the bits with the grain soak up loads of wood dye and on the rest of a plank hardly any is absorbed. At least with the Lime the grain is consistant throughout the length of the plank and so is the dye absortion. Of course there are colour differences in the planks but this is inevitable no matter what wood is used and would be the same on a full sized ship too
Bob

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Need to be careful with Lime Bob, it is soft and marks easily not a wood one considers naturally for decking material.

The styrene caulking looks good - does it come already coloured in black sheets?

Maurice

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Maurice, yes Lime is a very soft wood but as you see in the second picture i used an old bit of lime that had already had brass pins etc used on it and it seems to give it a bit of an aged worn deck effect which i don't mind. Another reason for using the Lime is it comes with smooth edges which is a must for holding the Styrene in tightly even when using PVA. I went with the Maple originally because it is a very hard wood but as you see in the first picture the grain isn't very nice
The Evergreen styrene comes in black sheets from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evergreen-Bla ... 338fd6a2f2
It is available as Plasticard in the UK but although the pictures show it as being black if you want the thinnest 0.25mm then they only seem to have it in white, which is why i got it from the USA from the trader on the link i posted. Also the black from the USA comes in larger packs IE 8 sheets of .10 x 8" x 21", he takes a few days to process it but once despatched i got it within 3 days as he used UPS shipping
Last edited by Bob Langley on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Interesting info about the black styrene Bob, I didn't know it was available.

What was the deck planking wood provided in the kit, was that maple you refer to ?

Maurice

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:13 pm

The original deck planking was Tanganyika which is supplied with most wooden kits, but i find it horrible to work with mainly because of the edges being so coarse and splitting very easily. I knew that all the Lime that i had used previously on hulls had very smooth edges, so i checked with Richard at Jotika if the edges were the same when using 1mm x 4mm as all the stuff i had used was 1.5mm x 5mm. But when i went to order some John said Maple would be better as it was a hardwood so i went with the Maple. Unfortunately the edges of the Maple are almost as bad as the Tanganyika, and the grain is the worst i have seen which makes it worse than the Tanganyika IMHO. So thats why i am going to try out the Lime with the black styrene
It's only money and the time i don't consider to be wasted as it's a learning curve worth learning
Bob

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Bob Langley wrote:It's only money and the time i don't consider to be wasted as it's a learning curve worth learning
XXBRXX
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”