Caldercraft Victory By Bob

A space for wooden/multi-media Victory modellers to log their builds:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

Bob Langley
Captain

Re: Caldercraft Victory By Bob

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Got my Lime strips and did a few more experiments with the planking on scrap wood. Although the styrene used as caulking is nice and neat it has a drawback in as much as it sometimes comes out from between the planks whilst trimming it flush with the decking and sometimes whilst sanding too, because the PVA glue for fixing the planks does not stick to it very well.
The picture below shows the final method i am going to use. Unlike with other woods i tried, the Lime seem to soak more dye in around the edges so you get the effect of caulking without actually needing to use any at all not even marker pens or pencils ETC.
To get a pretty even finish on the graining i first lightly dyed the strips and let them dry so i could see the grain better. I used all full length planks and simply butt jointed them together, then i lightly sanded them. For the joints i used a Four Butt System and used a 13524 joint pattern and just simply scored a line with a fine blade across each plank at the correct distances, then gave them another cot of dye. The finish looks like it is calked but it is just the way the Lime absorbs the dye, which is strange because all the other types of wood needed some kind of caulking effect added. Take no notice of the line pattern beneath the planks they were put there before for something else
I think with a bit more care and preparation an even better result could be achieved but this was good enough for testing. I just need to decide if i should do it like this or add nail effects to it before the second coat of dye so they will appear as darker bits too.
Bob

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:25 am

Popped a few marks in with the point of a scribe without any particular care just to see how it looks with nail markings in and gave it another coat of dye
Still can't decide to go with or without the nail markings on the proper decking
Bob

Capt-P
Captain

Post by Capt-P » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Great work Bob.
Been away and also loaded up windows7 from Ugly Vista.

I like the way you have caulked the planking, I used the perm ink, but found it ran some and got on the fingers. XSADX .

As for the nails, that looks fine, but its your choice.

Keep it coming.

Frank x27x .

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Nicely done, love it :-)

To be consequent, there should be also nails in between the butts, always two there the plank crosses the deck beam underneath.

Cheers, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Cheers guys, the more i look at it the more i am leaning towards going with the nails. I tried all the ink and pencil methods of caulking and found it too hit and miss, which is why i was pleasantly surprised when i tried the dye on the Lime and found it more or less caulked itself.
Bob

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 am

The trial looks good Bob but I'm wondering how the deck colour will look on the actual ship, decking varied in colour depending on the light conditions but the overall effect tended towards a lighter colour.

Just a thought.

Maurice

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:08 am

Yes it does look a bit dark but that is because I put more coats of dye on than normal because I was using the same bit over and over for testing. Also I did not use a flash when taking the photo, the actual piece is lighter than in the photo. I might just use a lighter dye for the actual decking.
Bob

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 am

I once thought about testing those thin coloured preservers you use on sheds etc; such as Cuprinol garden shades, they did one in a sort of greyish colour Silver Birch I seem to recall that would pass for weathered oak, but I never got around to it in the end.

Maurice

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the info Maurice I will check it out at my local diy and do some testing on the Maple strips I have left that are not going on the final decks
Bob

mdkboggle
Captain

Post by mdkboggle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Looks good Bob,no bleed on the joints,well done. XXBRXX

P.S
Hey everyone,,,i got £10,,,,bet its Fake,can't be real,,,,hehehe :twisted:

Tim

Dennis
Captain

Post by Dennis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:26 pm

I like the nail marks. At a distance they will look great.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks guys
Maurice Wilcox wrote:I once thought about testing those thin coloured preservers you use on sheds etc; such as Cuprinol garden shades, they did one in a sort of greyish colour Silver Birch I seem to recall that would pass for weathered oak, but I never got around to it in the end.

Maurice
Just got some Cuprinol garden shades and decking stain testers in Silver Birch
The Garden shades one is just paint that sits on the surface and takes a few coats to get the required colour but by then it has obscured all the grain of the wood
As far as i can tell the decking stain is exactly the same stuff, at least the final result was the same.
These are both water based and they give exactly the same result as using watered down Acrylic paint and they seem to sit on top of the wood rather than soaking right in like a solvent based one. So for me it's a no go with that stuff. Still it was well worth trying as is any idea. So i will search for a solvent based one in a similar colour. If not i will stay with the Light Oak
Bob

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 pm

At least we now know what colour your shed is going to be! x34x
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Ah pity, now we know, but thanks for trialling it Bob.

Maurice

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Pete Coleman wrote:At least we now know what colour your shed is going to be! x34x
Cheers,
Pete.
Hahaha x7x but really my shed is on my desk i call it Victory XXJFJXX
Maurice Wilcox wrote:Ah pity, now we know, but thanks for trialling it Bob.

Maurice
Well as i said before all good ideas are worth trying because if it was not for other peoples ideas we would never move forward x25x

Not posting much on my progression at the moment because i am laying down the first planking on the hull and only managing 1 plank per side per day.
Still i'd rather go slow than rush and have to order a skip XNUTSX
Bob

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”