First ever ship build first ever post

A space for wooden/multi-media Victory modellers to log their builds:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

paul0367
Able Seaman

First ever ship build first ever post

Post by paul0367 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:33 pm

First attempt in the ship world and I target the ship I find the best, yes I have been told this is as lot of ship for a first timer but I believe if someone else can achieve a build, so I will. Instructions for these models are quite vague though and parts listing is a learning curve, especially the names of the wood involved. My past derives of building model aircraft of which I also fly n crash, I weather them and add details I.e riveted fuselage, again I attempted the tricky bird of WWII due to its elliptical wings, Spitfire.
Could I just take time out to thank the creators of this site, brilliant and thank you for you time and effort. And credit to you guys building these things of beauty. I hope this post is in the correct section of the site not to upset anyone
I posted this image as a test really to see if I could post it.
Attachments
2014 - 1.jpg

Dennis
Captain

Re: First ever ship build first ever post

Post by Dennis » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Welcome Paul, looks like you do very nice work. Let's see some more.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Paul, great job on the decking XXBRXX Which kit is it ?

Bob
Bob

paul0367
Able Seaman

Post by paul0367 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 pm

I went for the constructo kit, I really looked at the Caldercraft model but as a first step into ships I thought the price was high for a first attempt and would rather cut my teeth on a cheaper kit. It retails at £413 in Cornwall model boats, EBay around £250 + but Amazon last week it was selling for £180, which is what I payed. It looks very good but I really have not seen any others to compair it with. I will post pictures now I'm familiar with the procedure. I have read that many kits instruction are a mine field but I'm learning, I think its a read and plan ahead process.

Thanks for the comments guys

Dennis
Captain

Post by Dennis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Paul, If it is the 1/96 kit she is still a monster at 43". I really look forward to your build. There is plenty of help on this site. Some of our builders have done both plastic and wood so have plenty of knowledge on the subject. Good luck.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:43 pm

For £180 you got a cracking kit there x25x

Bob
Bob

paul0367
Able Seaman

Post by paul0367 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes that's the one 1110 mm :- 43"
I was bidding on eBay for the same kit £80 this monday as a guy had two and I lost track of time, it was won for £84, I couldn't believe it, i am glad really I missed it as really I dont need two and would have ended up in a bidding war, just hope it gets built. I will post some more pictures later but there is not too many to show as I'm only 37 hours into it, wow just added the time up, I didn't realise so much time but for those whom don't build not much to show.. Oh! I am on the hunt for a micro lathe for the masts, when I eventually get to them, if anyone knows anyone selling one in the Manchester and surrounding area

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Good work Paul especially for a first build.

Impressive stuff,

Rob.

paul0367
Able Seaman

Post by paul0367 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm

The observant ones on the forum will notice the image of the stair are the width of the decking, this was because the instructions were to make the stairs first and then the inserts and the grates on the next page, this only left me to measure the hole on the decking as a guide for the stairs. Only when the next step was observed it indicates making and installing the inserts prior to the stairs, ( making my stairs initially too wide for the inserts )This can only be an error in the instructions but beware newbies, the experienced would no doubt know this but beware and avoid the hassle. Look well ahead of the job in hand.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Pics came through ok x25x Instructions that have been translated are sometimes the main downfall of a model as it leaves the modeller with quite a bit of guess work or trawling through the net to see if anyone else had problems with them. The Constructo model seems to be of good quality but let down by bad instructions. Having said that you are doing a great job there if the pics are anything to go by XXBRXX

Bob
Bob

glenn46
Midshipman

Post by glenn46 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Paul!

:text-welcomewave: to the forum. Your work looks AWESOME, so far. I appreciate the photos. You most definitely seem pretty skilled. :) I look forward to following your progress.

Right now I am working on 2 smaller, plastic ships of sail. I've kind of backed off on my Heller HMS Victory build so I can hone my building and airbrushing skills.

Take care!
Glenn
x26x

paul0367
Able Seaman

Post by paul0367 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:25 pm

I have been uploading pictures with an andriod tablet but it's really hit and miss affair that I actually manage this, does anyone use this method and can let me know the procedure. This sounds a weired request but when pictures actually upload I've tried so many things before hand the actual way that works eludes me. Thanks guys

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Where are you uploading your pictures to?
I have an Android 10.2" tablet and might be able to point you in the right direction.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

paul0367
Able Seaman

Post by paul0367 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 pm

I have moved on to my laptop for another attempt at posting these elusive pictures. here goes

hope they worked

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”