Del Prado Victory 1/100 Scale Partwork

A space for wooden/multi-media Victory modellers to log their builds:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

alanoes
Post Captain

Del Prado Victory 1/100 Scale Partwork

Post by alanoes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi all,
Some of you will already know that I have contributed occasionally to this forum over the years, mainly showing some of the upgrades etc I have done to this model, which is still, by the way, very much on-going, and seeing there was a section for BOP builds, decided it was about time to do a build log.
When I first started, I had no idea there were forums like this out there so I only took a few photos of my initial progress. It was only when I realised I was going to have to make many changes to the model that I started searching on line for 1/100 scale HMS Victory parts that I found this forum.
I subscribed to Del Prado's Victory build with great expectations after reading the flyers and seeing the adds, but even after a couple of weeks it was clear that the materials supplied were not of good quality, and as the build progressed,and I had bought some reference books and searched for info on the net to assist with the build, it became clear that the finished product would be a far from accurate depiction of HMS Victory.
I decided to use the timber supplied to build the basic hull and first planking, then purchase better quality materials to complete the build and also make the many changes and upgrades needed to produce a more accurate model and also, add some extras of my own along the way.
Although I have been building models of some sort or another for most of my life, this was my first try at a POB ship, I started off at a good pace, but due to work, and other commitments, I had to shelve the build several years ago, and have been going back to it periodically over the years.
I will try to find photos of the various changes and upgrades I have done and once I'm up to date will carry on the build log in more detail as I go., as I said, I didn't do many photos at first, so I will start with the only picture I seem to have of the completed first planking.
By this stage I had already added additional gun ports to the bow and stern areas that were not included in the Del Prado version.
You will notice that the first part of the main mast is in place. This is because of one of my additions, lighting, I wanted to light the stern galleries and lanterns, and as Victory at Trafalgar had the admiral's lantern on the main mast platform, I needed to get wiring up there from within the hull, so I cut a small groove on each side of the mast up to (I hope) the correct height and fixed two small wires into the grooves, then made good with filler.
The wire is quite stiff and I will use it to form the lanterns brackets.
More to follow when I dig out some photos.
Regards to all.
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.

alanoes
Post Captain

Re: Del Prado Victory 1/100 Scale Partwork

Post by alanoes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 pm

I will apologise in advance for the vagary of these initial posts, all this work was done by about 2007 so its hard to remember exactly how I did some of the work, at my age its hard to remember what I did last week, let alone 6-8 years ago, :lol:
In the following photo, you will see that I have actually cut out the entry port openings as I didn't like the moulded door and canopy supplied. Also, the plywood parts supplied to form the upper gun deck waist area and quarter deck walls had the gun ports in the wrong positions, and as you can see, I have filled them in and cut new gun ports in the correct locations.
I also thickened up the quarter deck walls with another layer of ply.
I wasn't happy with the painted detail lines I had done on the inside of the quarter deck walls and later replaced them with small gauge wire formed to shape and painted black.

I think the next major thing I did was the copper plating of the hull.
In the photo below I have scribed the water line and prepared the hull below it to give me a smoother finish to fix the plates to.
I purchased individual plates that were about 15X5mm in size( a bit larger scale wise than the actual plates used on Victory) with ready marked rivets around the edges.
I can't remember exactly how many I used but I think it was over 1000 x9x
One of the books I have used to good effect is Alan McGowan's "HMS Victory Her Construction, Career and Restoration"
In this book is a plan of the copper plating,
and I followed this plan as closely as I could. Where I had to cut the plates to shape, I re-did the rivet marks along the new edge by turning the plate over and using a hammer and small punch.
The next photo shows the plating getting underway.
As you can imagine, this was quite a long process. :roll: Below are some photos of the finished copper plating.
In the last photo of the stern, I have arrowed to a small hole, this is the jack socket that takes the electrical supply for the lighting.
As mentioned before, this work was done several years back and as you can see, the copper is quite bright and shiny. I did not lacquer it and over the years it has mellowed down and tarnished a bit as this more recent photo shows.
By the time I finish my Victory I should have natural patina on it x7x
regards
Alan
Last edited by alanoes on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:09 pm

While my attention is on the copper plating, I will mention the rudder.
Again,because of the time involved, I can't remember exactly, but the rudder supplied by Del Prado was incorrect. I think I used their rudder and re-shaped and sized it by adding additional timber.
I made the gudgeons and pintles from small brass tube,strap and rods, shaping as required and soldering the parts together, then painting black. Below is a close up of one of the gudgeon plates.
The rudder was then copper plated and the pintles fixed to it.
Here is the finished rudder with all the gudgeon plates next to it.
Also notice the spectacle plate above the copper on the right, I made this in the same way as the gudgeons and pintles. Below is a photo of the rudder in place, I have lifted it slightly to show the pintles fitting into the gudgeon plates.
Regards
Alan

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 pm

XXBRXX x777x
I am following your build log with interest, thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Pete.
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:32 am

Nice x25x
Bob

Dennis
Captain

Post by Dennis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Great work. I like the fact you have made changes as your knowledge of the ship has grown. It is good not to be in a hurry. I have thought through many upgrades on my Victory mostly because of the members of this forum.

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.
This build log should move along fairly swiftly as all the work described in these initial posts is already completed, and I just have to write it up and upload some photos.
So to continue.
Next up was the stern galleries. Del Prado's one wasn't too bad for shape etc as I recall, but no decoration and a piece of card with windows printed on it to stick inside, not very realistic looking to say the least. I think it caused so much negative feedback that they provided a cast metal moulding later on in the build to fix over the original structure, but by that time I had already made other arrangements.
Searching the internet looking for 1/100 scale HMS Victory parts didn't help much but did bring to my attention that there was a 1/100 scale HMS Victory kit made by Helller.
It was around this time that I also found this forum.
I was talking to a fellow modeller I was working with at the time and he mentioned that he owned that kit, had purchased it a few years earlier with good intent, but never really got started with it, and he was willing to sell it to me at quite a reduced price, so I arranged to go and see the kit.
Imagine my delight at seeing a nicely moulded rear gallery at the right scale. Delving into the kit further I was even more delighted to see that the ships lanterns were moulded in two halves from clear plastic, perfect for my lighting plans. I have used some other parts from this kit to enhance the build, and I will mention them along the way.
Purchase completed, I headed home eager to make a start.
Once I had temporarily assembled the rear gallery parts and offered them up, it was clear that some modifications would be needed to make it fit, but the overall look was really good.
I added some internal floors made from scrap timber.
This was done mainly as a fixing platform for the yellow LED lamps that would illuminate the galleries.
The next couple of pics were taken more recently.
Notice in the first photo looking at the stern how the ships name has faded. I made my own decal for the name when I did the galleries several years ago, this is how it did look.
I don't know why its happened, perhaps I should have coated it with clear varnish, any tips would be welcome, but now I have Dan's PE upgrades, I will re-do it with them.
The next shot is of the lanterns.
As stated earlier, they were formed in two halves, and during assembly, a small yellow LED lamp was installed inside each one. Luckily, Victory's lanterns have a three arm bracket,
this close up of the underside of the centre, larger lantern shows the bracket, the two outer arms are actually the wires feeding the LED lamps.
More to follow shortly.
Regards
Alan

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Another alteration I did early on in the build, although I didn't realise just how early on until I found this photo, was the skid beams.
Another major error by Del Prado.
They just put the skid beams on the ribs that were within the waist area, just 4, without any regard for accuracy.
As you probably know, HMS Victory actually has 6 skid beams, so I cut the original 4 out and made locating cut outs along the edges of the waist area at the correct locations for 6 new skid beams to sit into.
The above photo shows that I had corrected the skid beam issue before I had finished the first planking. Also notice the original Del Prado stern gallery, that was temporarily in place.
The following photo, showing a close up of the skid beam pillars,(from the Heller kit), brings to light another of the Del Prado kit's failings, the gratings.
Early on in the build, before I knew better, I followed their instructions for the gratings which consisted of making up
a frame from 4 pieces of timber and sticking it onto the deck with a piece of mesh beneath it to represent the grating.
Once I realised that small timber grating could be purchased from on line stores like Model Dock Yard, I took the plunge and changed them. As there were no cut outs in the deck for the Del Prado style gratings, they had to be made. I remember it was quite a task to get into the waist area, even with the skid beams removed, to cut the holes in the upper gun deck, scary too :pray:
But it was well worth the effort as this next photo shows.
Next I tackled the hull decoration and wales.
The Del Prado build did not provide for any fancy hull decoration and the depiction of the wales was pretty basic, the wales on Victory do not actually follow the lines of the gun ports or the painted bee lines and they rise up at the stern,
the lower wale also has a sort of rebated top edge.
Here is a photo of the actual ship showing the hull decoration at the point where the quarter deck steps lead up to the poop deck.
Through Model Dockyard I purchased a "Victory Mouldings" set from an Italian company called Corel. The mouldings were made from composite wood fibre onto card backing sheets.
The hardest part was getting them off the backing card cleanly.
I used these mouldings and some additional small brass wire bent to shape to create my representation of the hull decorations.
The wales were created by adding additional thicknesses of hull planking to form the approximate size and shape of the three main wales that run the length of the hull. I can't find any pics of the wales before the hull was painted so here are some more recent shots of the starboard side.

The gaps visible in the line of smaller moulding above the upper gun deck gun ports is where the channels will fit.
More later.
Regards
Alan

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm

The Corel mouldings set was used again, along with, a couple of parts from the Heller kit, a bit of scratch building, to enhance the beak head area.

As you can see from the above photo, I had to thin out the timber on the beak to take the figure head, that was made from 2 cast metal figureheads I had bought (using the best bits from each), and the cherubs from the Heller Victory kit, I liked these because they looked more cherubic (and a bit more like the ones on the actual ship) than the ones on the cast metal figureheads I had.

Painting the figurehead seemed to take forever as I kept re-touching parts that went wrong or I wasn't happy with :roll: , but luckily the Latin text around the top of the shield came as a decal in the Heller kit.
Regards
Alan

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Now that we have moved all the way from the stern galleries along the starboard side to the figurehead, I will just go back to mention some of the bits I bypassed on the way. :)
You may remember that I had previously cut out the entry port openings, I also made an internal floor from grating material, and a wall to mount a LED into.
The entry port canopy is a cast metal fitting that I purchased through Model Dockyard. The crest above the door was made from a photo I took of it, on one of my visits to Victory, I just printed it off at reduced size, glued it to a small sliver of hardwood, and fixed it above the opening. I also framed the opening with some hard wood.
The entry steps were made from pieces of hard wood strip, cut and sanded to shape with a Dremmel. I drilled a hole and used a small brass eyelet to form the pump outlet.

I made the fenders from round profile timber clamped and glued into place to follow the contours of the hull.
The gun port rain drips are a brass set, again purchased through Model Dockyard.
The catheads were from the Heller kit, I used them because they have a working pulley (which I thought might be useful), and a nice crown motif,
that was another marathon paint job :roll:
OK, I know this is the port side, but its the only close up I have x7x , you can also see to the right, a good view of some of the Corel mouldings before they were painted.
More soon.
Regards
Alan

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Love it :-)

This scale - in wood - WOW!

XXXDAn
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Now we have travelled along the hull, lets move up to the decks.
Starting at the bow, not exactly a deck but the beak head area.

As you can see, I have the first part of the bowsprit in place.
The lower grating was adapted to fit from the Heller kit, as was the marines walk. Before that was fitted I moulded some pieced of card onto the bowsprit and did the gammoning with black rigging cord.

You can also see in the top photo that I have brought through the first parts of the main stay and main preventer stay that attach to the knight's head below the marines walk, and come up through it.

The forecastle.

There are several enhancements and alterations made on this deck. Starting with the gratings. As can be seen in the above photo, I have used the wooden grating material as I did on the upper gun deck. I think the Del Prado build did have the deck cut outs, but still went with their "netting", and no divisions within the three cut outs.
Next, the 68 pounder carronades, I think these were the ones supplied with the kit,
(they must have been made by a completely different company that made the rest of the guns),I also used the supplied carriage, but added eyelets and made the tackle from rigging cord and the smallest (2mm I think) wooden blocks I could find.

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to mention the guns supplied with the Del Prado part work.
Note: From now on I will refer to them as guns for two reasons, firstly, as I understand it, they are only called cannon whilst off the ship, once on the ship, they are called "ships guns". Secondly, "guns" is easier to type than "cannon" x7x

There are many words to describe the guns provided by Del Prado, but as this is a public forum, I'll choose this one, " PANTS "
Below is a sample of what was supplied.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that I struggled to find a couple of decent ones in the whole lot. I did consider filling in and re boring
the muzzles more centrally, but there was another issue. All the false guns supplied were the same size, and purchasing new guns would not only give me better quality, but give me the opportunity to depict the 32, 24, and 12 pounder guns on Victory, so as you will see further into the build, that is the route I took.
So, back to the forecastle.
The next thing (I think) I did was the 12 pounder carriage guns, don't think they have a mention in the Del Prado instruction, but I saw a painting or drawing somewhere of the two guns lashed down on the forecastle, so decided I wanted to depict this.
I used the supplied carriages, and as with the carronades, added eyelets
and tackle, also on the newly purchased gun barrels, I used a small brass ring, cut down and fixed to form the breeching ring.

I used the supplied belfry,but re-sited it in the correct position.
I also made a couple of cleats and fixed to the front columns of the belfry, these will be needed at the rigging stage.

Also, some additional eyelets were fixed at the base of the foremast, again for use during rigging.

Lastly, I think, outboard of the barricade is a small platform that runs the length
of the forecastle for the hammock netting cranes.

I made this from my hard wood sheet material and glued into place.

Almost forgot, I used the stove chimney from the Heller kit, as this was a much better depiction of the actual chimney on Victory than any aftermarket product I could find.

More soon.
Regards
Alan

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm

dafi wrote:Love it :-)

This scale - in wood - WOW!

XXXDAn
Thanks Dan
further into the build log you will see some of your PE parts put to good use.
Regards
Alan

Dennis
Captain

Post by Dennis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:49 pm

I think you have done a fine job correcting all the wrongs in the Del Prado kit. She is coming along fine.

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Dennis wrote:I think you have done a fine job correcting all the wrongs in the Del Prado kit. She is coming along fine.
Thanks for your comments Dennis,
much appreciated
Regards
Alan

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”