Re: Del Prado Victory 1/100 Scale Partwork

Post by Bob Langley » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Great imaginative improvements Alan XXBRXX XXBRXX XXBRXX
Bob

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Alan, just caught up with your build, very finely done!

All the best Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks again Bob and Daniel for your comments.

As mentioned earlier, I was going to use dafi's PE parts to improve my gun port lids,
Here's a few pics showing the refurb procedure.

Step one is to grind off the hinge and large raised detail around the holes on the gun port lids.

The new PE hinges are then fixed to what was the inside face of the lid.

Followed by the eyelets.

The old riggols are carefully removed and replaced with the new correct profile PE ones.

The colours on the lid are reversed, eyelets fitted to what is now the inside of the lid, new riggol painted in, gun fitted, lid fixed in place and lanyards attached.

Only quite a lot more to do :lol:
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Continuing the refurbishment of the gun ports, and you may remember, the starting point was to grind off the bulky hinge and eyelet detail. So once I decided to start them in earnest with a production line so to speak, several of them shattered into small fragments just by gripping them (not too heavily) with pliers whilst trying to grind them, another testimony to the quality of the Del Prado mouldings ! So I had to search the internet for back issues containing gun port lids so I could decide whether to carry on with the ones I had or try to find aftermarket lids that would fit my ports (something I had tried in the past without much success!) Luckily I found a couple of sites and was able to get enough lids and spares to carry on. Below is the "assembly line" just for the port side, at the stage of fitting the front eyelets to the PE hinges.
The nice thing about this PE hinge set is that they have an additional feature for the lower gun deck port lids, a representation of the scuttle, which was a small opening door in the lid to let air into the lower gun deck when the port lids were closed.
The port lids are then tuned over and another set of eyelets are fixed to what will be the inside face.
Painting them was not without its problems either, the bee lines on my Victory were painted several years ago and I couldn't remember what black I had used, I seem to remember using acrylic paints in tubes from my local art shop which is no longer with us. This was before the days of Admiralty paint sets, and when they arrived, I did re-do the yellow with Admiralty paints "Yellow Ochre" but left the black as it looked OK, its not glossy but has a slight sheen to it, some testing with Admiralty blacks showed "Dull Black" to be a reasonable match. Not wanting to drown out the detail on the hinges, I did two coats of watered down dull black and the result was unexpectedly, a rather shiny finish.
I then coated the lid, but not the hinges with Admiralty "Matt (Metal) Black")
this had the effect of not only dulling down the lid, making it a better match for the bee lines, but also made the hinge more prominent, a finish I was quite pleased with.
The inside face is painted with Admiralty "Red Ochre" and the eyelets picked out in Dull Black.

Next up, the rigols.

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:24 pm

The rigols were another cause for delay.
Like many things on this build the original ones were done several years back. Del Prado did not supply that sort of detail so through Model Dockyard I purchased a brass set for a 1/96 scale Victory, as nothing was available at 1/100 scale. I was pleased with them at the time even though they were slightly over size for my scale, and they have been fitted and painted in for years.
Fast forward to last year when I found the PE enhancements made for the 1/100 scale Heller (plastic) HMS Victory kit which included the gun port hinges I have used and the rigols. Had it been just the scale that was different I would have left my 1/96 scale ones where they were, but these are not only the correct size, but have the correct profile too.
Anyone who has stripped off their own previous work will know the feeling, needless to say, I was not too enthusiastic about starting, but they had to be changed.
Next up
The guns

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:28 pm

thumps up :-)

Cheers, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:32 pm

As mentioned earlier in the log, I wanted to represent the different size guns on the Victory. I had already got a good quality representation of the 12 pounders. The 24 and 32 proved difficult at this scale. I managed to find some but because of their larger muzzle size, they were too long, so I had to reduce the length by turning them in a drill while filing off the rear to just leave a fixing spigot.
The difference between the 12 and 24 pounders is very noticeable but between the 24 and 32 pounders its more subtle as you will see.
Putting It All Together.
The guns were then glued into the receptacle holes in the rear of the gun port linings.
The finished gun port lids are glued into the gun ports in the open position using the original moulded hinge part, each one had to be filed down a little to make a tight fit.
Once the glue had set, the lanyards fitted earlier in the build were attached to the eyelets. On a test one I did, tying a knot didn,t look right as it was too large for scale, so I did it like this.
the lanyard is first threaded through the eyelet from front to rear.
Then, pulling it tight toward the front, some glue it dabbed on using a needle point.
When the glue is dry, the excess thread is cut off as close to the eyelet as possible without causing damage.
Where little bits are sticking out, I have just touched them in with black paint to hide them.
I have fixed and patched up the new PE riggols on the starboard side and prepared all the guns, but still have the port lids to assemble, but they are all ground down so I should have no problems with them.
Here are some pics of the finished port side.
The exception with the port lids is the forward most port on the lower gun deck, this is depicted in the closed position to give a different perspective and point of interest and shows off some of the hinge detailing too.

Regards
Alan

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:43 pm

Finally finished the gun port refurbishment on the starboard side. So that's all the gun ports completed. 8-)

So decided to turn my attention to the channels.
As you may recall I had already made the channels and deadeyes some years back. I didn't like the idea of just gluing them to the hull edge on as there would be some tension on them when shrouds are installed. So I made some small locating pins from 0.8mm brass rod, and drilled 0.8mm holes in the rear edge of the channel. Below is the portside main channel, the brass strip at the top of the picture is basically a set square made from a piece of PE sprue so that I could glue them square to the hull sides, as every proper square I have was too large.
I fitted the three main channels, (fore, main and mizzen) to the port side and it was only when I came to fit the smaller channel aft of the mizzen, I realised there wasn't enough room to fit it between the mizzen channel and the aft most gunport where it should be.
PANIC :angry-screaming:
On further investigation I realised that I would have trouble fitting some of the chain plates on all the channels as the deadeyes clashed with some of the gunport locations.
As already mentioned, I'd made these channels years ago, I must have got the dimensions, layout etc from somewhere, I doubt I would have followed the Del Prado instructions and I definitely wouldn't have guessed it !! Upon checking drawing and plans, It became clear that the main channel was too short, and the fore and mizzen units were too long !
Only one course of action :cry:
The above photo is the result of removing the fore channel, some damage to the hull and minor damage to a couple of gun port lids, the others were a similar story, nothing that can't be sorted :roll:
I must admit that the brass pin method of fixing was very good, the channels split into pieces as I was rocking and twisting them up and down with pliers trying to loosen their grip on the hull :lol:
Well, a lesson learnt, at least it will give me the opportunity to do a "making the channels" section on the build log x7x
Regards
Alan

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Nice work, especially as all that was repetitious fiddly work x25x :text-goodpost: x25x x25x
Bob

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Well, I was "working" from home today, didn't get much invoicing done x7x
But made a start on the new channels, so here is the work so far.
Started with some pieces of 1.5mm thick hard wood sheet that I've had since starting this build, in fact, its the material I used to make the previous,(now infamous :) )set of channels, but in those days it was 1/16 inch thick :lol: . I've used it for various other projects over the years, but still have a bit left.
Using the various books and drawings I have, I converted the information to 1/100 scale, double checking I had it right this time x8x , then marked out and cut 2 sets of channels from the pieces of hard wood I have. Each pair was then clamped together before final shaping to make sure they were pretty much identical. Below is one set of shaped channels.
Although I have marked these for the port side, at this stage they could be either.
Offering them up into position on the hull, I marked the positions of the gun ports on the channels, ports below marked on the front edge, ports above marked on the rear edge. Then, again using plans etc, set out the deadeyes on the channels, marking the centre of each one and double checking that the chain plate below or the shroud above would not conflict with the gun port openings or anything else.
Once I was happy that all was OK, I grooved out the front edge of the channel to take the deadeye strops.
I started with the starboard side fore channel as most of the books I have show a good detail of that one.
Next I fitted the strops to the walnut deadeyes and glued them in position on the channel. The largest are 5mm, then 3mm and 2mm.
I am using the PE strops from dafi's enhancement set, and they come with all the chain plates too.
As you can see, the very small ones need some tweaking, as this PE set was made to enhance the Heller Victory kit which I assume doesn't have the smaller deadeyes. But I can sort that out.
Then I adapted and fitted the brass edging piece that I had salvaged from the first set.
In this case, it had to be made shorter by cutting a section out and butting together, the new main channel edging will have to be extended.
Below is a photo of the old and new channels showing the difference in length. Also notice, the old one is narrower, I can only think that I did the originals from a plan view and was fooled by the projecting hammock crane platform above it.
In the detail above you can see a couple of ring hooks in use at the aft end of the channel, so they were fitted next, I also have other drawings that show additional rings on all the channels so I have added them too, even if they don't get used they will look good 8-)
Finally, a couple of coats of Admiralty black paint. On the deadeys themselves, I have used ebony wood stain as its a bit thinner and, although I have already positioned the deadeyes, will allow me to rotate them easier.
Now I just have to construct the rest, and I'll be back to where I was before disaster struck :lol:
Regards
Alan

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Nice resurrection Alan x25x
Bob

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks Bob, Daniel and Dennis for your comments, much appreciated.

Hi all,
Another progress report on the channels, continuing on the starboard side with the main channel. As stated earlier, this had to be made longer than the original one I did years back, and I have used 5mm and 3mm walnut deadeyes, as with the fore channel.
As with all the channels, I have salvaged the brass front edging profile and adapted it to suite the new lengths.
A feature on the main channels are the brackets for the lower main studding sail
(or stunsail) boom.
The picture above shows the boom in stowed position. When in use, it was lifted from the rear "rest" bracket and swung out on the front "hinge" bracket, 90 degrees to the hull, to form the lower spar for the main stunsail. Below is another detail drawing.
I had previously made these brackets (for my first set of channels), from copper strips bent to shape, and again have manages to salvage them for use on the new versions.
Next the ring bolts were fitted. They are made from 0.7 X 10mm brass eyelets cut down in length. On my first set, I only used the eyelets, but this time around I have added 3mm brass rings to make them more realistic.
Having to make this second set has allowed me to improve on the originals.
Checking drawings and plans, it seems the deadeyes on the mizzen channels are slightly smaller than the largest (5mm) ones on the fore and main channels. Originally, I used 5mm for these too, as I could not find (or they were not made then) 4mm deadeyes, and I didn't want to drop as low as 3mm. This time however, I've located some 4mm ones, and used them for the new mizzen channels.
Finally (at last I hear you say :lol: )we come to the two small auxiliary channels that sit aft and above the main and mizzen channels. For these I have use 3mm and 2mm deadeyes.
Below is the finished starboard channel set.
I have also completed the port side channels and that just about brings me up to date, so posts won't be coming so thick and fast from now on :)
I will return with another update when I have them fitted to the hull.

Regards
Alan

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Nicely done, at the speed you're working they will be fitted in about ten minutes then x7x
Bob

alanoes
Post Captain

Post by alanoes » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks again Bob,
If only :lol:
Most of this work was completed before I started the build log.
Regards
Alan

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”