SWiLE's Inventor 3D Build Attempt

A space for wooden/multi-media Victory modellers to log their builds:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

swile
Landsman

SWiLE's Inventor 3D Build Attempt

Post by swile » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:06 pm

Since I'm short on money, having just purchased a house, I will start the most ambitious (and free) 3D model I have yet to attempt. I would like to model this with all the right parts and pieces as the real ship was built. Leaving behind a nice reference for others to explore and use. That said, I hope you don't get tired of constant questions about how things should or shouldn't be.

I decided to start with parts and pieces so that even if I am unable to finish I can leave something for the community to use for milling or 3D printing. I'll post my models to GrabCAD.com as I complete sections and objects as it makes sense.

Remember if you see something wrong please speak up. Changes on a virtual model are much easier to rework than a physical one.

swile
Landsman

Re: SWiLE's Inventor 3D Build Attempt

Post by swile » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:51 pm

12 Pounder - Barrel
The documentation I have shows the ridges on the barrel as rounded (as modeled) but from some of the images I have found it seems these are raised but the tops are then flat.

I added the logo but didn't smooth it out thinking CNC milling would be more distinct when scaled. I was also making the letters go under and over but after two hours and only having one letter look right, I decided it was more work than it was worth. This may be something I come back to waaaay later.

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:03 pm

That looks great, probably smoother than the original as casting was not too fine back then. Having said that the smoother the better on small scale so it can be read XXBRXX
Bob

swile
Landsman

Post by swile » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:35 am

12 Pound Long Gun Complete. I used the drawings from John McKay's book and many images I found around the web.

If you see something that should change please speak up.

swile
Landsman

Post by swile » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am

After creating the renderings I noticed the middle front piece was missing from the assembly. That has since been added.

[Edit]
Ok I just now see I missed these brackets as well... sigh. This assembly contains 96 parts now. This may become more of a challenge than I originally thought.

Capt-P
Captain

Post by Capt-P » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 am

That looks fine Swile matey.
Just the large ring in the centre missing and the two rings on the end of the truck should be further out towards the rear.

Cannot fault your 3D pictures, lovely detail.

Do you aim to make your own cannon.

Frank x27x

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Wow keeps getting better, can i order a few hundred in 1/72 scale for my Victory (only kidding) XBLX XXBRXX
Bob

swile
Landsman

Post by swile » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Capt-P
I have pulled all dimensions from the only book I have.
two rings on the end of the truck should be further out towards the rear
This looks like the back two rings are in the middle of the bottom truck. To move them back I could angle the holes or add a whole new hole just for these rings.

After searching through my collection of images from around the web, I found this both ways... so which way is right?
Image Image

Ok so I answered my own question. From the drawings on page 96 it look like the 12 Pounders have the rings the way I have them modeled (F1/F2). But the 24 Pounder has the rings back farther (F4).

Now that that's settled, what large middle ring are you referring to? If you mean the one in the front look at the last rendering. I noticed that myself and added it. If there is another ring I'm missing please tell me where it is so I can add it.

I do plan on building this one day... in 1/146 scale haha
------------------
Bob Langley
I would be more than happy to Copy and Paste a few for you :-)

swile
Landsman

Post by swile » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Does anyone know which size guns have the molded logo on the barrel? It seems some of my images have this and some do not.

swile
Landsman

Post by swile » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:46 pm

12 Pound Guns Complete

Bob Langley
Captain

Post by Bob Langley » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:10 pm

XBLX XXBRXX
Bob

Capt-P
Captain

Post by Capt-P » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:35 pm

As far as I know Swile matey is that all British calibre guns had logo's on them what ever type.

The large ring that I am talking about is in the lower middle of the truck.
There is a small eyelet and the larger ring go's through this, which in tern allows the rope to pass through from the rear of the barrel to the hull bulk sides where it is secured.

Hope this helps you.

Frank x27x

Return to “POF/POB Victory Builders Diaries”