WASP LHD-1, The Build

Phil Builds The Gallery Models 1:350th Amphibious Assault Ship:

Moderators: Maurice Wilcox, Rob, Pete Coleman

pstanfield
Captain

WASP LHD-1, The Build

Post by pstanfield » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, since I haven't worked with this scale in quite a while, and my aging eyes not being what they used to be, I decided to start with the vehicles and stick to prep work on the boat. I ordered an extra set of photo-etch so I can really make this kit pop. That's a total of 6+ sheets of photo etch I'll be putting on this kit.

Wow! These vehicles are small, and the LCAC is a model kit all it's own. I'm amazed at the amount of detail. Here's some pics.

Prepping everything for painting. All of the vehicles had some sort of assembly And you can just make out Victory in the back. My wife is getting ready to paint the craft room so I haven't found a place to keep Victory safe, so she stays on the workbench for the moment.

Lots of pieces for the LCAC. And it's only 3" long!

Here's the APC, Bradley, and M1's in progress. I went with forest camo on the APC and Bradley in order to keep the overall picture from being "boring".

The M1's are my first real adventure with future as a sealer and oils for washes. On the left is a wash using linseed oil as thinner. After talking with Rob (thanks again Rob), I changed over to an odorless turpentine for the M1 on the right. The wash really made things pop. I still have some detailing to do on all the vehicles.

LCACs in progress. Unwashed on left, Washed and drybrushed on right. I really like these little guys. There is a lot going on on them. I still have quite a bit of detailing to do on both.

Still a lot of detailing to do, but I'm not unsatisfied.

The wife has since torn the craft room apart (she has a scrapbooking table and equipment in the room with me) as she gets removes switch/outlet covers, sands the walls (yes, I said sands the walls) and masks off all the moulding for painting and my workbench is now in the center of the room, so any work on the kit this weekend will be out of the question. I may get a few things done tomorrow. I'm busy doing simple base-color work on the well deck. The extra photoetch should be here early next week so I'll be able to get busy on the various helicopters in the kit. The photoetch rotors will allow me to get very realistic blade sag, and I can't wait for the extra railings, which are a must for the well deck.

Rob

Re: WASP LHD-1, The Build

Post by Rob » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Well Phil there is no need to ask what you have been doing the past couple of weeks!
Great progress and keep those pictures coming.
Rob.

Maurice Wilcox

Post by Maurice Wilcox » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Nice effect you're getting there with your washing and dry brushing Phil, x25x

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Whoa, easy tiger, don't them people ever clean their machines?
Nice to see that you are getting to grips with the black arts Phil.....
Looking forward to your "future" updates. x4x
Best regards, Pete. (A.O.T.F.) :character-spongebobdance:
-------------------------------------------------------
"In which it will be ready when it's ready"
------------- Preserved Killick -------------

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:02 am

I have always been a fan of a "dirtier" look. The LCAC is in no way finished so it will look a little "cleaner" once I'm done.

Phil S

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 am

Phil,

Found this thread over on MWS http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... =2&t=65149, which discusses lighting the interior of the Wasp. The modeller in question has used EL (electroluminescence) products to light the hanger deck. EL provides a more even spread of light rather than the point type associated with LEDs. You can get filters to adjust the colour, which would allow the green NVG lighting in the well deck to be replicated.

This is what he used http://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html

This is the sort of effect he was able to achieve

Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Very tasty, but that 400hr half-life would worry me though.....

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:56 am

Wow. I had heard about this type of lighting and I must admit, it's very cool. I'm also impressed by the build you directed me to. I've been going over everything I want to do and I humbly admit it may be a bit much given the timeframe I have for the build. I'll have to see what I'm actually going to be able to accomplish with available funds (translation- what the wife will allow me to buy).

Oh, does anyone know of anyone making 1/350 MRAP vehicles?

Right now though the craft room is in total disarray and I will be spending this evening masking off the remaining moulding so the missus can paint tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be back to work on WASP by Sunday and by Monday or Tuesday I'll have the extra Photo etch come to my mailbox so I can start on the helos...

Phil S

Bill Davidson
Topman

Post by Bill Davidson » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:20 am

Phil,

Stumbled over another WASP build on MWS (http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 59&t=61207).

This one has some nice work on the hanger as well, including decals, which make a world of difference to the internals.

This is an example of what he's created:

Cheers,
Bill

On the Slip
HMS King George V – 1941 – Tamiya 1/350
HMS King George V – 1945 – Tamiya 1/350

Fitting Out
PT 815 - Tamiya 1/72

Commissioned
IJN Yamato - Tamiya 1/350

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:51 am

Talk about going the extra mile!
He's really going to town with that build.
Thanks for posting Bill.

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:46 pm

I stumbled across this on and I am also very impressed with the decal work the builder has done. I'm just not good at creating my own decals. I tried it a few year ago and had mediocre success but I wasn't pleased with the overall work. As I said before I'm going to have to scale back the build a bit. I may still waterline the kit, but getting used to working with all the photoetch is probably going to be hard enough for me. It's very delicate stuff and I'm certain I'll have a bunch of questions...

Well, off to work if the weather will allow. Fresh snow covered the roads a couple of days ago and we're expecting another round by Monday, which will make driving treacherous once again. The wife paints the craftroom today so I should be back at my bench tomorrow afternoon. More vehicles to paint and then on to aircraft and the well deck....have a good day everyone.

Oh, thanks again for all the support and links. They are very helpful.

Phil S

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 am

I must begin by saying thanks to my wife for her wonderful idea of putting a Hi-Def TV on the wall in the craft room. What a perfect world it is (at least here in the U.S.) that I am working on my LHD-1 kit, I just popped open a beer, and the Superbowl is on... x25x

Anyway, I thought I'd post a little of what I'm up to on the Wasp. I'm still working on the Hangar and well decks. I'd like to thank everyone for their wonderful ideas and suggestions. I can say I am now a big fan of the pin wash. It's extremely versatile. Here's some examples;

This is the wall of the well deck. It's painted, clear coated, and pin washed. Being new to the this technique you can see I am not as "pin" point as I'd like to be.

But, not to worry. I washed using oil paint. I let it sit for about 2 hours and then just used a Q-Tip to clean it up...

It's still not perfect, but it is a lot better and I'm getting very confident with the technique.

Now, on the hangar deck it's a bit trickier since the walls are two colors, one being white. So far it's been okay, but not super;

Here's before:

And here's after:

I'm still playing around with the wash mix. It's a learning thing. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it before I tackle above deck.

Speaking of, I just started work on the hull. While it is a one piece hull, one part of the bow came as a separate piece. as you can see it
went on very cleanly, though it does need a little cleaning;

With that set aside for now (need some fresh sandpaper...yet another trip to Hobby Lobby), and the oil wash needing to dry overnight, I find myself...

YEAH, THE PACKERS JUST SCORED!!!

Sorry about that. This years Superbowl is awesome..

Anyway, I decided to go ahead with some assembly on the superstructure, which will be preshade and pinwash heaven. I'm also expecting my photoetch upgrades to arrive this week, so you'll get to see a newcomer to the metal struggle with yet another new technique as I try to raise my level of modelling skill.

Stay tuned and you can watch an American pull what hair he has left out of his head as he screams obscenities at little tiny pieces of metal....

Phil
A little more finesse' will be required, but the overall effect is good

pstanfield
Captain

Post by pstanfield » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 am

Well, the extra photoetch finally arrived from South Korea. And to say there is a few pieces of etch would be an understatement. 4 sprues of several hundred pieces. So I ask my fellow modellers who have had experience with etch to post their tips and tricks for using this wonderful material. I'm most curious at the different ways to adhere the pieces to the model. I found a couple of good articles on the web but I like getting a lot of input. Thanks in advance for any help.

I do want to thank Bill for sending me the file with the hangar-deck decals. They have worked out very nice.

My cat Rocko thinks the box is the best thing about the whole model...

And remember I told you I'm a rather "chaotic" modeller. The pic below pretty much says it all.

I didn't get anything done today. I had a much better time with the Missus at dinner. I loved her smile when I gave her her Valentine's ring. I have another day off Wednesday and will be diving headlong into decals and etch....stay tuned.

Phil

dafi
Admiral Of The Red

Post by dafi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 am

Nicely build!

But take care:
- Darling have you seen the cat?
- No! But there is a strange noise deep inside of my wasp ...

All the best, Daniel
Official "mad hatter" and "ϋber detailer supreme" of the board, appointed to the Royal order of the Lath and proud owner of a box of mad frogs :-)

Our German Forum for shipbuilding and history
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Pete Coleman
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Pete Coleman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:48 am

What is it with cats and boxes.....
Your modelling area actually looks quite tidy and well organised to me!

The only glue that I have ever used with any success for etch is medium visc' ACA, still a bugger at times though.
Why is it that etch will stick to your fingers/tweezers but not to the model (especially when it's that tricky but vital part)?

Return to “Phil's USS Wasp LHD-1”